Paging Doctor Nephron-Benefits of Water Consumption?

B

biglou

Hey Doc, I was perusing this old thread HERE, and was wondering if you could shed some more light on the benefits of water consumption. The thread originally blasted soda, and then the Snopes take seemingly dispelled or downplayed a lot of those negative statements about soda. Regardless of what Snopes says, I'm with you on the "soda is crap" thing. But I wasn't always that way. I was pretty much addicted to regular Coke for as long as I can remember.

Now, after a long, successful run on the BFL program, I have been soda-free for right about a year now, and was wondering if you might share some of the obvious, and not so obvious, benefits of drinking the "proper" amount of water every day?

For the record, I'm drinking 1 gallon of water per day. Sometimes 5 qts.

Your input is mucho appreciated, Doc. :thumb: Oh, and don't use too many gigantic words. Pred gets frightened and confused easily... :laugh:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Oh, and don't use too many gigantic words.

How 'bout outline form, and if you want me to expound on any of it, let me know.

1) Water should probably be classified as a necessity and natural component of the body, than a 'benefit'--in and of itself.

2) Now, specifically your question re: the benefit of XS water intake: a) maintenance of a large volume dilute urine reduces the risk of stones b) drinking a lot of water promotes normal 'waste' mass, movement and elimination (thus, reducing constipation--we're not talking urine here). c) may reduce hunger--that's all I can think of right now.

Really, the situation renally is complex, but suffice it to say that the function of the kidney is to filter and process at multiple levels (including water balance)--that the kidney filters about 180L per day, but only excretes 1-2L/day--and that if you were to increase your water intake by 2L, your kidneys would say: Hey, what the hell's going on here? and promptly dump it into the bladder. So now you've increased your urine output by 2L, but excreted the same poison amount in both urines: the 2L one, and 4L one. One urine's just more concentrated than the other. You've not affected the kidney's capability to handle and clean your blood at all, and have only increased your urine output.

So I guess if you really like to pee and enjoy it very much, that's another benefit. :eek:

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
So can I take that to mean that the necessary water intake is 2L for a sedentary person modified by some factor for activity?

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
James, it's not that complex....ie, you don't have to calculate activity indices, or whatever, because the kidneys are in there controlling everything 24/7. You really don't have to worry about controlling your water input, other than having common sense. It's a long, long physiologic story, but the bottom line is that the kidney will preserve your body water status and also make you thirsty when you're getting close to the limits of its ability to do so.

There is no set volume that's right for everyone, but an average urine output is around 1.5L, so (insensible losses--sweating, respiratory, stool, etc.) 2.5L is probably an average water input. Keep in mind that when carbs are burned, water is formed in the process, and that most food contains significant amounts of water.

Practically, as far as the need for water goes, it's just flat sort of evolved into what is done today--a camelbak isn't worn on a cool day of trail riding for 3 miles, but is for 23 mile desert loops. All just common sense--the 'kidney' will do the rest.

Top Bottom