evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Well, not really chain, more like chain tools. What chain breaker and/or press would you recommend for the spode who's going to need to break a chain a couple times a year. There's a few out there with prices all over the board. Not looking for an emergency repair tool, just something to hang over the workbench.

Thanks in advance.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I have always used the classic style, spring loaded chain breaker.
They are hard to beat.

I prefer them over the Motion Pro style tool for a couple of reasons. Since you need to press the pins through both plates with the MP tool, it makes it very easy to break the push pin off if you don't have it situated just right. The price of 4 replacement pins can buy you one of my chain breakers.
Also, the MP tool needs another tool to make it work ie..a screw driver, or a cresent wrench. Very cumbersome.

The classic chain breaker is very easy to use and the jaws will line you up perfectly with the pin.
Many have tried to re-invent the wheel, but the classic chain breaker has been around for decades and remains the choice of those who break chains often.

No matter what style breaker you use, always take just a little bite on one pin at a time, then move to the other pin and take a small bite. Repeat the process 2-3 times and you will never damage the link next to the break link. Folks screw this up most often.

Attachments

• chainbreaker.jpg
    chainbreaker.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 79

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
The motion pro that I have actually centers itself over the pin. Over 3 yrs and about 50 uses and it still works like a champ. Holding the tool in one hand and putting a wrench to it with the other is pretty easy for me. Certainly not cumbersome lol.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Much more cumbersome than not needing another tool, aye?

Have you ever tried a classic style breaker, Eddie?

One thing you can do with a classic breaker than you can't do with others...
If you worry about your clip style master link coming apart, you can always mount it normaly, then you can slightly peen the pins so that the plate won't slide off even if the clip flys away.
If you use a classic style breaker, you can always remove the master and replace it for re-use, even if you have peened the heads of the pins. Can't do that with a MP breaker without trashing the master link.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Holding the chain breaker/chain with one hand and turning a wrench with the other is not cumbersome for me to begin with so it couldn't be much more cumbersome. I usually do mine with the chain on the bike and it's one of those things that is so easy you just never think about it. Haven't used the classic style and probably won't unless for some reason I don't have mine when I need it and someone else has one handy. I expect my motion pro to last quite awhile, it fits in my smallest toolbox drawer or my fanny pack and fills my needs nicely. I'd bet the classic style is easy and a nice tool along with some others that other people like. <shrug>

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
It all comes down to what you have handy, eh? I just use a 9" angle grinder and a punch.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
You know, if you use a hammer along with that punch, your head wouldn't hurt so bad, Rooster!
:bang:

:nener:

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
MrLuckey said:
Over 3 yrs and about 50 uses and it still works like a champ.

Not to add to the aguement..er' discussion :) but my "Classic" breaker is 20+ yrs old and still work a charm :cool:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
My classic breaker was new to me 25 years ago and it's still works like a charm. I got it from some mechanic that felt it was to worn out to use :eek:

...but what ever works for you is fine.

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
Whoa!...Thats ten times a year if it is five years. That is a lot of chain maintenance. Those must not be O-ring chains... and you probably only use WD-40 for lube...Ha

Top Bottom