Paid for Chapparals Mistake

gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
I had to buy new tires for my street bike so I did a search on the internet for the best price on the dunlop sport tourer. It seemed to be a rare tire not caried by a lot of people. I found the rear tire on one site and the front tire at chapparal. The prices from both sites were much better than buying from the dealer so I ordered the tires from the respective web sites. I had also made purchases that same day from other websites for different things.
I waited as the things I ordered came in from rockymountainmc, denniskirk and motoshopper. All my products came in without problem except the front tire from chapparal. Not only did it take a week longer than anybody else to send my tire, they sent me the wrong tire.
I contacted chapparal and told them about the mistake. I was told to return the tire by UPS and include a copy of the receipt for the cost of shipping. I did that, UPS charged $44 to return the tire. When I finally got my tire the next day I received a check for $9.54 for shipping.
Why am I paying for their mistake. I didn't order the wrong tire they sent the wrong tire. The correct tire was on the packing slip but the wrong tire was in the box. I received my orders from everybody else within a week they took two and messed up the order. :|
That's the last time I buy anything from them!!!

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I don't know what it is about sellers wanting us to lose money to return their mistakes. I have more than one issue with Chapparal and I'll never buy another thing from them either.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
That sucks that they didn't refund you the price you payed for shipping but $44 sounds awful high. Did you send it overnight? The $9.54 that they gave you may have been the normal charge for regular ground shipping.

I always ask the place to send me a return shipping label so I don't have any out of pocket expense for returning a mistake.

gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
I thought $44 was a lot too. My wife took it to UPS for me and when I heard I thought that was an overnight price. But when I checked it out she had sent it UPS ground. I can only assume that businesses get some kind of bulk discount for doing business with UPS. because when I ordered the tire I only paid about $10 to have it shipped to me.

dobent56

Jul 26, 2003
There's some kind of mistake for 44.00 shipping.Sounds like UPS maybe screwed that up.
I've had two problems with Chapparal. Funny,when they used to use COD I never had a problem.It's too bad everyone won't ship COD,especially once you're established as a customer. Someone,UPS or Chapparal owes you some money. Doug

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I didn't look into the particulars...I just saw Chapparal and got pissed again.

Businesses do get a discount and a tire is an "odd" or "oversized" item according to UPS, especially if it isn't boxed. I don't know what the surcharge is exactly as $44 does still sound high

I went to the UPS site and estimated a 10 lb package with dimensions of 26x26x6 (not knowing the exact size and weight of the tire and got $29 ground and $41 for 3 day select from NC to CA (Chapparal). I don't know the zip in PA.

When I do a 60lb engine to/from the same zip codes using ground, it is $52.

Regardless, it probably should have been more than $9.54 and Chapparal sucks.

Last edited:

gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
It is rediculous, I just went to the UPS site and did an estimate on a package from zip to theirs it came up with $11.49. I have to take the receipt back to the shipping place to find out why they charged her so much. Now I'm really angry because they sure as hell only sent it by ground shipment.

gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
19115 & 10lbs. I left the dimensions blank. I just wanted to get an idea of cost, I don't know what the actual dimensions were. I guess chapparal wasn't fully to blame for this.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
dimensions are important because the tire would be oversize in or out of a box. I'll run it with your zip.

EDIT: Estimate came up the same as mine. I would bet they got you for 3 day select and my guess on dimensions is off a bit. They did that to me once on the 3 day select.

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
They jerked me around ONCE, that was enough to swear off them forever. I get much better service from MX Tech or Service Honda than Crapparal and even if the price is slightly more the service is worth more. NEVEREVEREVERNEVER buy from those scumbags!

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I've heard nothing but bad things about them, i prefer too use my local shop :)

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
Guys

The simple solution when these guys pull this stuff is your Attorney General's office. File a complaint with the AG in your State and another with California (or wherever the company you do business with is located). You will be amazed how willing these companies are to make things right when you spell it out in a complaint with the AG's office. Make sure you put everything in your complaint with the AG, they will more than likely know nothing about motorcycles. They sure know about ripping off the consumer and can help you out.

In the past, I have contacted companies first when something like this happens to give them the chance to right their mistake. If they don't, I file my complaint and wait 30 to 45 days for my full refund. The AG office has gotten all of my money back 100% of the time when I have filed a complaint.  Some have even given the product for free for putting me through the hassle.  I suspect these are the ones with multiple complaints with the AG and they want to make sure you are happy.  If the AG see's a pattern of complaints they can put the company out of business.

It is simple, if they screw up and refuse to refund you 100% of your money they are ripping you off and the AG's office will help you out.  Don't sweat it,  file the complaint and let the AG deal with companies that think they can screw you over.

Last edited:

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
Stick with rockymountainmc for your online purchases, they have treated me the best by far, and have the best shipping prices I have found for tires. Without question, they are my first choice everytime for mailorder purchases.

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
I used to order from Chapparral until they started charging high shipping and quit sending me a catalog. Plus they never had what I wanted in stock.

Rockymountain has been getting my business. No problems at all. 3-4 years now. Prices are better too. My friend ordered rims with tires mounted for his quad and when he got them one of them leaked air where the rim is welded together. The told him to ship them back and if it was a factory defect he would be fullly reimbursed. It was and he got his money back right away.

For streetbike tires check out Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse. good prices.

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
As somebody who runs a biz that does a lot of UPS shipping, I think the problem here is that you used one of those "shipping places" like what used to be called Mailboxes Etc. These places charge basically whatever they feel like and they rip people off like you wouldn't believe. I had one customer return a damaged product and used the shipping place. They charged him $45 gro ground, one state over, and this item was not oversize. They charged him $17 for the box (I still don't believe that) and $15 for packaging (!) the item up, when all they did was throw it in the box. So before you guys get done ranting over Chaparral (and I've bought from them many times) you might want to consider another possibility. Sounds like they refunded him what the actual shipping should've been, but not the rip off from the mailing place. Wrong decision? Probably, but also understandable.

Bliz

Dec 25, 1999
$44 is a very expensive freight charge. Did you ship it regular UPS ground or next or second day air? $44 does not sound like UPS ground.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by jsned
I used to order from Chapparral until they started charging high shipping and quit sending me a catalog. Plus they never had what I wanted in stock.

Funny, because I politely (and then not so politely) told them to quit sending me catalogs but they insist on sending them....maybe I should call them and see if they will send you mine.

I agree with Rocky Mountain.....been great so far.

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
Another place that hasn't been mentioned here is MX south. They have been the most friendly, professional, educated people I have dealt with yet. And the best thing is, they support DRN, so here's what I do, first I check their price, then I check the cheapest price I can find on the internet, then I write them back and tell them the cheaper price, then they beat it by at least a dollar, sometimes they've beaten it by five dollars! Their ordering process isn't the most technologically advanced, but it works great and insures that you're getting exactly what you want because they include a comment box on the order page that you fill out online. Shipping is always fast, even to California and they always seem glad to talk to you. they receive a 10 thumbs up in my opinion, nothing has ever been wrong with any of my orders. sorry to go off on a tangent, but that's how satisfied I am.

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Originally posted by woods_rider1
Stick with rockymountainmc for your online purchases.

You've got my vote. I done some business with Chapparrall, and haven't been burned yet. They have screwed up an order or two, but they fixed it. Chapparral is by far the most expensive on some things.

Dennis Kirk is by far my favorite, with Rocky Mtn. a close second. I've done most of my business these two. I bought my FMF pipes from Parts Direct(free shipping at certain times) and my Tech 8's from Motosport Outlet (free shipping over 100 bucks).

It's all about saving the GREENBACKS !!

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
On the UPS shipping issue, last week I shipped two off-road tires (one front and one rear; shipped separately) the same way that Rocky Mountain ships them - wrapped in clear plastic. The were each $8-9. That seems to be the most economical way to ship a tire.

Top Bottom