zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
Anyone with experience using different automotive paints for mx frame(s)? I've painted a couple with Dupont centauri enamel, and wasn't too impressed with the durability of it :ugg: . At least it was a little better that using a can. I expected with the hardener that it would last a little better. How about some of the other varieties of duponts or PPG or any other brand I'll find at automotive paint stores.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
A good wet paint probably needs to have a heat cure.
I've seen a guy throw rocks a newly painted truck leaving nothing but the dust from the rocks. He used Imron (sp?) and used a buddy's autobody bake. (radiant)

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Imron is definately excellent stuff!

enamels that don't need a hardener package are "photochemicaly active". According to the people I asked that means only the outside skin of the paint truly cures the inside stays soft. when you add the hardener or "performance package" the paint cures all the way thru and is a lot more durable.

word of caution, hardeners contain isocyanates let the root word cyanide do the talking and read all precautions and heed all safety recommendations.

I believe that paints that will dry <lacquer> or cure <Imron ,hardener packages> baking is not much more than forced drying but with straight enamels it definately has its advantages heping it cure more thoroughly.

badjam

Nov 30, 2003
Your best bet is to use a base coat/clear coat system either be the dupont imron product or sherwin williams sunfire 421 your lacquers and enamels are going to be way to soft for that application.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Have you considered power coating? It does cost more than painting the frame yourself, but you will be far happier with the result.

I agree with the above statements, that enamel paints really adhere better with a heat source. However, a friend of mine uses POR on his frame and the stuff really sticks. The problems with POR are a limited number of color choices and it doesn't have a factory finished look.

Look into power coating. Should cost somewhere between $100 to $150.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
However, a friend of mine uses POR on his frame and the stuff really sticks.

what is that a type of paint? name brand?

Look into power coating. Should cost somewhere between $100 to $150

really not a bad price compared to using automotive paints if you have to buy everything. probably would have to drop close to that if you had to buy the paint ,hardener , reducers, thinners to clean the spray equipment etc etc .. with a lot of stuff left over in the garage after you are done.

zero_it

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2000
Powder coating is really the way to go. If you go to a commercial powder coating shop they can do it at a fairly reasonable price and there are a dozen or so color choices these days.

If you just want to do it at home you may consider Hammerite. It's really tough stuff.

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
Thanks for the responses. All are appreciated AND helpful.
:thumb: What type of reducers/thinners are needed for the Imron or S.W. sunfire? Will the stuff I already have for the Centauri work?
I haven't ruled out powder coating, but I kinda like to do stuff myself and the color selection is huge on painting. Also fixing boo-boos would be easy.

1 more thing: anyone ever use a truck bed liner coating on frame guards? (Rhino-lite; Line-X)

Roger

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
For durability powdercoating would be the way to go but I understand the do it yourself-ed-ness part of the deal. I think you would be surprised at the number of colors available in powder. I had my KTM done earlier this year. Burn-off oven, sandblasting, powdercoat and clear coat $165.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I've used the Hammerite rattle can on frame parts and was very pleased with the results.... especially coming from a rattle can.

I also did the powder coat. I'm a tight wad do it yerselfer normally. But the quality and durabilty of the powder wins hands down over paint. Far better.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I attended the powder coat show in Indy this year and the industry is really making advances. The most impressive were the chrome look powders that are out now. Coventional coat and parts look like they came out of the dip tank.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I attended the powder coat show in Indy
Bet they had some serious booth babes eh? Sounds like a good time mister :p

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Actually, YES...there were a few of the fairer maidens in attendance.

Still, close to one of the most boring events in the world.

Top Bottom