zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
I want to paint the pipe from my '74 KX125. Anyone have a preference of brand? I've tried a couple different ones, for high temp, and both look fine, but were not overly durable.

Thanks, Roger
movmx #491

uh_oh

Sep 25, 2007
ordinary paint wont work, it will bake off.
You can try Krylon bbq grill paint if your going black, its designed for high temperatures.

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
2 strokes for life said:
zoommx, if you cure the pipe in an oven the finish seems to last very long with Duiplicoulor High heat Engine Enamel.

Looks like Duplicolor has engine enamel, good to 500 degrees F, or High Heat, good to 1500, Which are you recommening? How hot in the oven?....wife's gonna hate that smell!!

BTW, I found the silencer packing in the bike was basically compeletly wiped out, maybe it'll be quieter after re packing.

I found this spraying video for the 1500 stuff: CLICK HERE

Jan 3, 2007
I am saying use the 500 because that pipe will never cure right wih the 1500 because i have done that befor. On the can it says how long and what heat for an oven. Also, if you want a super strong finish you should cure the paint each layer.

It should be alot quieter with some insolation in there.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
It's not the heat that kills most of these paints, it's the scratching. I've had excellent luck with the Krylon barbecue paint, though. Got a dent the other day and the paint is still on it 100 percent.

fatboy570

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2000
Ive used stove paint, bbq paint, and Duplicolor. It will all come off after time, but the Duplicolor high heat seems to work best. As for the smell from the oven, try baking some cookies first, if that doesnt please the wife, at least youll have some goodies for the shop, right? Hope to see you at Greenwood, 2 days of fun

ats666

Apr 26, 2007
I sand blasted my pipe and painted it with high temp ceramic header paint.

It was holding up great all summer untill I went for a top speed run and siezed my piston... the paint started to peel off in spots and I cracked a factory weld.

Tomorrow its time to sandblast and weld and repaint it...

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
2 strokes for life said:
I am saying use the 500 because that pipe will never cure right wih the 1500 because i have done that befor. On the can it says how long and what heat for an oven. Also, if you want a super strong finish you should cure the paint each layer.

It should be alot quieter with some insolation in there.

Ah, little weedhopper. You learn well! :laugh:

Yep, the kid from Canada hit the right answer. Tell him what he wins Bob. :rotfl:

Seriously, the VHT (Very High Temp) takes very high temps to cure. The 500 degree works best on cool 2 stroke exhaust. :nod:

Nothing will work on modern 4 strokes. :whoa:

Rotor

Top Bottom