chopper

Sep 15, 2005
Has anyone ever painted there hubs? I know people have powder coated there's, but what about painting them. I have got a set of excel rims today and want to paint my hubs. I just wonder if the paint will crack under flex. Thanks for any info. See Ya Chris in Alabama.. :coocoo:

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
I would not do it. If it worked, don't you think more folks would be running tricked out painted hubs?

Powder coating is more durable than paint - period. Think about all the elements that hubs are exposed to and then think how your shiny wheels will look next to chipped and flaking hubs that were painted. Just my $00.02 worth... YMMV.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
XRpredator said:
another option, if you already have them apart, is to polish them. Looks sweet.

What Pred said... :cool:

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
I would think with a good automotive paint and primer you would be fine, paint isn't that brittle and the hub doesn't flex that much.

I think more people don't do it because there aren't that many people that know how to lace up and build a wheel, and most people don't want to pay the local shop to take it apart to give it back to you to paint then put it back together for 150-200$. For some reason cosmetics haven't been a big focus on the metal parts of a dirt bike like they have been in BMX and mountain biking. Anodyzing has been popular in MX, but not painting/powder coating.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom