indy650

Oct 25, 2003
Hey,
My motor is all apart, (lower rod bearing went) so i got the crank back from the crank shop, and all my other pieces (main bearings, complete seal and gasket kit) i had a hot rod put on, and everythings just waiting for me to go ahead and start assembly (i hope i remember where everything goes)

I was cleaning up the cases and other outside parts in the parts cleaner, and got looking at all the magnesium pieces. The grey paint is all worn down on both sides and it looks bad, so i was wondering what kind of paint would be good to use, or could i sand everything down then just spray clear coat on it (does magnesium rust?)

Thanks,
Andy

s.d.duner

Oct 28, 2003
if you want to paint it, go to the local auto parts store and pick up some hi-temp paint. i've seen it in 500deg. and 1200 deg. and it can even be used on exhaust manifolds. It works well i painted my '67 mustang's motor with it cuz i was on a budget

indy650

Oct 25, 2003
I have some of the black exhaust manifold paint (1200 or 1500 i cant remember) that i used on my snowmobile exhaust but i think the 500 stuff would be good enough, or i havent decided if i just want to strip it down to the metal and clear coat it

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
indy650,

Please be very careful when cutting, grinding or polishing magnesium. I have been told by mechanical engineers in the aerospace industry that this material is extremely toxic. Take care not to inhale any magnesium dust. Use an appropriate respirator and make sure that no dust is spread around from your clothing, shoes or from floors.

Good luck and be safe.

Speedfreek

Nov 3, 2003
I seem to remember hearing that magnesum dust is very flammable.A simple static spark can ignite the dust while airborne.

indy650

Oct 25, 2003
after reading your warnings i decided to just leave it lol.

anyways got it all back together and working, but the chain master link got bent?? somehow and then the pin broke off the plate, and i mushroomed it trying to hammer it out so im going to have to wait until monday to grind it flat and use a punch to remove it, and buy a new master link. :(

Top Bottom