250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Another beauty question form 250girl. My goofy looking RM250 is only half black because black gas tanks and rad shrouds for it don't seem to exist. The rest is all black, so it's kinda dumb looking. Now does anybody know of any decent method of painting plastic black? A method that is resistant to peeling and cracking?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
From what I understand you need to coat the inside of the tank so the fuel vapor doesn't lift the paint off. I seem to recall a post a while back about this.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Here's a little tidbit on black plastic. It WILL NOT look good after the first 5 minutes. I have plack on my KXR and while I am quite happy with it's sort of stealth bomber looking matte finish plastic not everyone like it. If you want your bike to continue to look good find another color or cover all the plastic with clear film.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I think this might look pretty cool. red front fender, white shrouds, blue side plates and rear fender or some combination of that.

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
I had a friend suggest the Krylon Fusion paint to me. Apparently he used it on sleds and it stood up really well. I think that is the stuff to try after hearing good things about it. But does it have to be sprayed on or can I paint it? and it sounds like doing the gas tank is going to be really fun... having to do a coating of stuff inside it.... yay.

Thanks for the link, that's the first place I've seen black shrouds for my bike, but I will still have to do the tank. I know black looks bad when scratched, that's what all my black plastic looks like now. I don't race MX, so I don't really care that much. The way I ride scratches are inevitable, gravel pit wipeouts and bushwacking. It looks good from a distance, and if I am riding as fast as I should be, nobody sees the scratches anyways :nener: I just don't want peeling

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If you are not worried about scratches why worry about peeling? Just spray it again.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Patman said:
I have plack on my KXR
It's PLAQUE not PLACK, Pat.

If you would brush that thing once and awhile...

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Well it's hard to get the dirt off of every little nook and cranny.

railer

Nov 4, 2005
having the same issue with my 98 RM 125. Want to murder it out completely, but the only black tank I can find for it is an oversized IMS tank. I don't want an oversized tank. I considered painting it, but I just really don't think it will work...dunno what to do.

Brian.

Link to thread with pictures of bike and frame in progress

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=172855

Top Bottom