85kx250

Oct 16, 2005
How well does the krylon fusion paint work? Im thinking about painting my plastics black since i can't find kawasaki green plastic paint. would the krylon fusion work? Does anybody know where to find kawasaki green paint for palstics, and how is the sure way to do it right the first time? :bang:

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Fusion will scratch and rub off during normal use (boots on number plates, etc). Does look good for the first few weeks bug it won't last. Also, the under side of the fenders (never actually hits the ground) has lost a lot of paint due to the mud/dirt from hitting it. MY opinion, save the Krylon for your patio chairs and either buy black plastics or search this forum the the stuff that was discussed on this topic less than a month ago.

85kx250

Oct 16, 2005
yea thanks guys and maier has everything i need but a gas tank i had checked. the gas tank is the worst part of the whole bike

rage88

Oct 18, 2005
you can just spray it... ive sprayed all the bikes i ever had just rub it down with light sandpaper and wet and dry stuff (i think thats what its called) then i sprayed it with normal car paint the stuff dont rub off... sure it scratches but i dont fall off alot so i dont mind :) hope this has helped you mate... the last bike i sprayed was this bik i own now... i changed it from suzuki yellow to a mettalic baby blue it looks the dogs nuts... its a one in a kind bike on the track ;)

Jun 12, 2005
Heres my 91 cr 125 http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/387510/ i just found a random can of spray paint at home and sprayed it. First i sanded all the parts with a 150 grid sandpaper and sprayed it on. Everything has held up besides the tank. I still have to find out how to paint gas tanks with out them bubbling. <- DOES ANYONE NO HOW TO DO THIS!? rage88 you said uve painted many of your bikes how do u get the tank to not bubble from the gas fumes seeping thru the plastic?

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
how do u get the tank to not bubble from the gas fumes seeping thru the plastic?

You don't. Gas fumes are going to come throught the plastic no matter what you do.

Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
canadian-dirtbik3r said:
So the only solution is to buy a black tank?

If you want it black, that's all you can do. You can also restore the old tank though if you want to keep it green. I've had really good success restoring tanks by begining with 150 grit sandpaper, then working all the way to 400 grit wet and dry paper, sanding in the bathtub. Rubbing compound afterward will even bring back shine. Other plastic is harder to get back, because there are areas really hard to get sandpaper into, and also because the sun sometimes bleaches color out all the way through. Crashes that bend fenders tend to put permanent light marks where the plastic was stressed too. It seems like the fuel keeps tank plastic from drying out, and they don't usually have too many nooks and crannies, so you can bring some really awful looking old, oxidized ones back. A green tank and black fenders won't look bad.

85kx250

Oct 16, 2005
well i also saw something about some plastic restorer, that and the above mentioned may be the way to go. I would really like to keep all the plastics green, if i can. my plastics are in good shape so they might clean up real nice. i just painted my frame black and green plastics would look good

rage88

Oct 18, 2005
Hey guys sorry i didnt answer sooner i only just got back on a computer last night i been away from the net for a while...

how do u get the tank to not bubble from the gas fumes seeping thru the plastic?

I just rub the tank down with sandpaper and wet to dry then under coat it with black (if your respraying the bike a dark colour) or white (if your respraying the bike a light colour) once you under coat it ( i usually do two coats of undercoat) leave it to dry for a night, then respray the parts with the colour chosen and put 2 or 3 coats of that on... my tanks fine... hope this helps you out... if not feel free to contact me... on msn or yahoo....

happy riding guys!!!

Jun 12, 2005
How long has yours lasted? And does it have gas in the tank right now? What is wet sanding? And what do you need for it. Also is 150 grid sandpaper good for sanding the tank down? So if i want to paint my tank black i have to do 4-5 coats of black?

Jun 12, 2005
Today i just took off my tank and started taking off all the paint to get ready to re paint it and the paint that the owner before me put on it didnt bubble at all and was easy to remove. And when i re did it, it started to bubble but my paint was hard to remove. I think im going to try "vinyl dye". It dyes the plastic the color you want. Or i might and paint it with a different type of paint. I cannot contact the guy a bought it off i forgot his phone #. But i can describe the paint. It was much easier to scrap and rub off with paint thinner then the paint i used. Could he of used the krylon fusion paint?

rage88

Oct 18, 2005
dunno about the paint type sorry... wet sanding... if you go into your local hardware shop and ask for "wet to dry" just sand it then get the wet to dry put it in some water and keep sanding with the wet to dry... then undercoat (if needed) then just spray it about 4 - 5 times... mines fine...

SirHilton17

Aug 6, 2005
I painted a bike that had plastic front fender and side plates...
i painted it orange with cheepo spraypaint.. then cleared it..
you have to prep plastic really good before painting it... sand it .. depending on its condition start with like 200 grit and work yur way to 1000 grit.. at the 1000 grit sand it wet.
wash/degrese it.
paint it
i have done this and it has been a while and looks great... just dont bend the platic too much after its painted because it will chip

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I think Sawblade already said it... a plastic tank will bubble if you ever put gas in it. End of story.

rob426

Mar 18, 2006
Gas tank painting... Forget it. Not only have I not had success with this, but have spent countless hours surching for a way it can be done.:bang: It has been done however. Some guys use an industrial strength "bonding" primer to get the paint to stick, some guys treat the pe (polyethelene) with a flame to seal the pores. Another way was to buy a special pe sealant, then you put it inside the tank (after thorough cleaning) and shake it around and then empty it. You get a layer of sealant to dry on the inside so that you can paint the outside with no fumes coming through. However I would not want to risk any posible reactions with the gasoline, and possible damage to my carb/ engine. My vote- fork out the dough for a new tank!

Jun 12, 2005
I found a way to do it and it has held up for awhile now with now bubbles at all. I used the krylon fusion paint and prepped that tank very well. First i removed all of the old paint with paint thinner or stripper then i washed it with a industrial soap then washed it with acetone. Kept it covered up and only uncovered it before painting. I then sprayed on light coats until i finished the can. The only down side is that this paint scratches easily.

Top Bottom