700_Edge_X

Jul 11, 2007
Hey, has anyone ever tryed painting their plastics? I was wondering how it would work. I got a 02 yz 125 right now the frame is painted red so i think it would look pretty sweet with black plastics.

tyler_43

Jun 22, 2007
why don't you just buy a black plastic kit? You can get a complete kit from UFO for about $80-$90 that includes the shrouds, number plates, and front and back fender. I have them on my bike and it looks sick (I still have the blue frame, gas tank, and have blue handguards... along with Ride Industries graphics it looks sweet).

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
If you are going to paint your plastics, first prep them well by sanding out the scratches finishing with a 400 grit wet sand. Then clean them real well making sure to get off all of the 2-stroke oil, armor all, etc or else you will get "fish eyes" like crazy.

The ONLY paint I would even attempt to use is the Krylon Fusion paint. It adheres great and if you know how to paint you can get a really glossy finish out of it.
It does get scratched easily when you fall though, but it is also very easy to touch up. Just wet sand it and put another coat or two on it and ta-da! New looking ghetto plastics.

I'll be the first one to admit... the side panels on my 02 YZ250 are painted... and have been for the last four years.

I hang my head in shame!

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Here are a few pictures of what I have done...

This KX was the UGLIEST bike you've ever seen when I picked it up for $600... and being a '95 I really didn't want to shell out the cash for new plastics, so I decided to do something creative.

P1010024.JPG

KX310_3.JPG

Like I was saying, look at the side panel on the YZ.

P7220011.JPG

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
I painted a bike years ago. It turned out very nice and allot more shine then new plastics. However, after a year of small crashes and scratches from trees and limbs it looked real bad. I bit the bullet and bought new plastics. The worst part was I never got the hours back I invested in preping and painting the old plastics. I would recomend against it unless your trying to pull off a cool paint job like studboy, but if you must it can turn out very well if your willing to put in the work needed. In my personal opinion I dont think it holds up near as well as colored plastic though.

Top Bottom