bblack-22

May 10, 2007
I searched this forum and got most of my answers except for where is the best place to get your paint and equi. for painitng the plastics on your bike. the preps, clear coats, protective?

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
There is no good process for painting plastics. The paint usually starts chipping and flaking quickly and looks much worse than old plastics.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
By the time you buy all the stuff(adhesion promotor,primer,paint,clear), you will have as much in it as a new plastic kit. You can get a whole kit for 120 shipped to your door from Motosport.

iamdawalru5

Apr 26, 2006
_JOE_ said:
By the time you buy all the stuff(adhesion promotor,primer,paint,clear), you will have as much in it as a new plastic kit. You can get a whole kit for 120 shipped to your door from Motosport.

/\/\ if you can buy plastics, do it.

May 10, 2007
my friend used some kind of aircraft paint that has held for awhile now. not sure what it was though cuz his dad got it from his work (he works on helicopters)

Gixxsta04

Aug 6, 2007
sanding

wet sand the plastics with 800 and work your way up to 1500. Then hit em with some dupont acrylic clear in a can(you can get this from an auto body supply store). I have done this with spectacular results. Make sure u put the clear on thick and in 1 coat or you will have to buff em out later. I used acrylic and it worked great. Very durable, but you might find a different type of clear that might work better with plastic.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Don't even clear them, just take a paint polish like Meguires Scratch-X or something to bring back the shine after you sand it. Clears will peel just like paints.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Same as above. The sanding leaves behind a dull finish, though. You have to polish it to restore the gloss. There are a bunch of plastic specific polishes as well, I'm sure they work well but I had the paint polish on hand.

Gixxsta04

Aug 6, 2007
polish?

I tried polishing them after wet sanding and it absolutely does not work. What kind of polish are you using? I even tried using a buffer with several different compounds. They make a product called plastic restore that u can wipe on after wet sanding but I hear it wears off after a few washes.

Top Bottom