WIcr125

May 26, 2009
Ok, so i have a cr125 and would like to paint the rims black. I've seen a lot of people with them powder coated, but a lot have said that they crack and chip over time. I have some Chassis Saver laying around (its like POR-15) and was thinking about using that instead, but i don't know how i should prep the wheel itself since it's aluminum. With regular paint, if it does start to chip, i just have to touch it up, and theres no having to remove the spokes.

Has anyone had any luck just painting their rims, or does anyone else have any other ideas? Buying them isin't an option.

Thanks!

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I suggest learning to love the look of aluminum.
This sounds like a very serious time waster project that can only result in a mess. Yes wheels can be and have been painted over the years. For a good job, it would require removing the tire and taking all the spokes out.
If you are dead set on trying this (and I'm assuming your leaving the spokes in and tire on), I'd mask the tire, mask the spokes, clean the rim, wipe it down with prepsol and spray away. If you are really serious, you'll use a two stage paint/clearcoat. But even with really good paint products and etching the rims beforehand, I estimate the rims will look OK for about two minutes of riding in grass dirt or rocks.
Cleaning the mess back off the rims will take about 10 times as long as painting them in the first place. And the first time you have to fix a flat, look out.

Top Bottom