TrackMaster

Mar 15, 2001
I know, I know, its hard to grasp, but some people just dont get it.:p

Anyway.. My friend is looking to get into dirtbiking after riding my 250 a few times. He finally convinced his parents to let him get one, and now they said theyd help pay for it. Hes got about 1500 to spend, and looking for a beginners bike. So hes looking around and found a few bikes.

He found a '89 CR250 that has a minor oil leak and it smokes a bit much. His parents think its smoking because it needs new rings...:think

Then he finds a '94 cr125 (more like it) for about $400 more. So now hes wanting that one. It has renthal bars, pc pipe, and a recently built top end. Sounds good right? Well his parents wont let him get it because of the new top end. They say something must have broke on it because he had to replace the top end...:silly:

They're obviously looking for the "perfect bike". So my question is how do we convince his parents that its not gonna happen and a top end is a good thing? And I say we because hes not the most mechanically inclined person I know...;) Anyone know of a web site that explains stuff like this?

125 rider

Sponsoring Member
Oct 1, 2000
Why dont you show them how many other ads that say "new top end" and explain that its a very common thing to do on these bikes. They probably think they've never rebuilt their car engine so why should a dirtbike need it. I just bought an 87 yz125 that smokes a good deal and has excessive carbon build up on the plug which are indications it needs a new top end. I wish i just saved myself the trouble and found a bike that had a recent top end :silly:. At least it shows that the owner of that cr125 took care of the bike mechanicaly.

TrackMaster

Mar 15, 2001
Originally posted by RMrider125
So why are not wanting to buy if if they think something was wrong with the top end, it was replaced so why does it matter.
I have no idea... maybe worried something else might break too?

Thanks everyone for your help. I think we're making progress.:)

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Not knowing the anatomy of the 2 stroke is the killer here.
All 2 stokes will smoke especilly before being warmed up.
Smoke is not and can not be the result of bad rings as is the case in a 4 stroke.
The top end rebuild is routiene maintance on a race 2 stroke.

Maybe have them go to the local MX track and talk to other parents or riders?

BTW, I have an 88 YZ 250 that needs a rear shock for $1100 :) .

CRPilot

~SPONSOR~
Apr 5, 2000
Devils Advocate speaking here:

Maybe someone should tell them (buyer and parents) that the $1500 they spend to buy the bike is only the begining. If he rides for any period of time regular mainentance and repairs on a two stroke will surpass that amount in no time. I would hate to be those parents and be misled into thinking this was a one-time outlay of cash.

MX265

Sponsoring Member
Jan 29, 2001
Good point CRPilot. Also needs to be made aware that riding gear and protective gear is not cheap and often needs to be replaced along with bike parts.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
I dont know,
I am kinda a master of low buget riding. I think if you dont race a bike, even a 2 stroke MX bike can last for years with very little $ . Just make sure the fuel is mixed right, the tires, chain and sprockets are ok, and put good tranny lube in it once in a while. I suppose a good education about how to take care of a bike is worth loads of $$$$.
Riding gear IMHO is more or less a one time investment and can last a very long time. Take care of your boots, thats about it barring major crash damage of like a helmet. Your looking at a good 500 bucks right off the bat though.
Hey, many used bike sellers will throw some if not all the gear in too! Especily the "got married, have kid, bought house, selling toys" chumps :) . I get my best deals off those guys!

TrackMaster

Mar 15, 2001
Originally posted by CRPilot
Devils Advocate speaking here:

Maybe someone should tell them (buyer and parents) that the $1500 they spend to buy the bike is only the begining. If he rides for any period of time regular mainentance and repairs on a two stroke will surpass that amount in no time. I would hate to be those parents and be misled into thinking this was a one-time outlay of cash.
My friend knows about it. Prolly from me complaining about how much stuff costs all the time:scream: His parents have made it clear that they're only helping with bike (and maybe a helmet). He has to pay for everything he breaks, gear, gas ect..

BTW - His father works with a fellow dirt rider with a cr250 for sale. So hes gonna talk about just buying that one. Maybe the guy with the bike for sale will know something about 2 strokes (i should hope so);) And give him the laydown.

Top Bottom