riot983

Feb 12, 2008
I have started the process of making my bike street legal I am going to get some forms from the dmv today. I talked to my dad last night to see if we are going to split insurance like i did on my old tw200 (its is sold now). He told me Im not allowed to make it street legal because "its not meant for the road. Its a dirtbike that means it stays on dirt" I dont get it :bang: Then i said "if I buy a xr650 and its street legal then its ok?" he said "yes because it is meant for the street and dirt" :coocoo: idk everytime i try explaining to him about how tons of bikes are converted he gets mad and feels like im talking down to him. Im 17 and 4 months. I ship out in a few months and want to do this before I go into the army. My dad has road for many years (old harleys) and currently owns a bmw r1150r and a f650gs. How can i convince him or show him where im coming from?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
show him the kits from Baja designs.

But, I think you're gonna find out that most of us around here are going to come down on your Dad's side. Besides, you are in California, and your ol' man might just know a little bit more about the whole red sticker/green sticker/whatever mess they got going on down there.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Rule #1 = Dad is always right.
Rule #2 = there is no rule #2 according to dad.

See it's easy.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Save your money that you would getting it street legal, save some more while in basic, then buy one better suited for the street and you'll have the best of both worlds with two bikes suited for their purpose instead of one that doesn't do either very well.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Oh look another Dad posted :)

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Ask pops for input. Almost always a "statement" (I know best) can be taken offensively. But well pointed questions will cause others to think... even your father. But don't expect the answer you're looking for today (some people tend to "react", and will need to brew on it a day or two.) "Dad, what would you do? Do you think the bike can be made safe for street use? Wouldn't setting up THIS bike for street use be more cost effective?" Wait for him to have a look on his face like he's re-considering, then approach him with the Baja Designs stuff. He will most likely be flattered that you'd like his input, and may consider your idea even more when he sees you've done your homework.
Go Army!

a Dad

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Excellent Dad advice Dad! Wish my 16 year old would learn to use it A LOT more often.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Wait 8 months, then do what you want (after finding out how the ARMY will regulate you and your 2 wheeled friend*).

*Please note that I have absolutely zero first hand knowledge of ARMY regulations, but I am rather close to the Marines.

Gsus

Aug 12, 2008
Rule #1 = Dad is always right.
Rule #2 = there is no rule #2 according to dad.

See it's easy.

What the heck? This looks like it came out of the "Rules to Follow for Husbands". Just Wife was replaced with Dad!

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Unless you have some really connected friends and some decent money you wont be getting that bike street legal in CA.

Oh yeah dad is always right...especially when living under his roof.

CROSS

Sep 25, 2008
Cali is extremely strict with all their emissions stuff. However, you do have a 4 stroke which is one step forward. I dunno what to say... when I turn 18, I'm getting a street bike, for sure. Depending on how much money I have will determine if I have to sell my dirtbike or not.

Just pay for all the insurance. It can't possibly be much. All you need to get is liability or whatever. Don't bother insuring the bike for anything else... if you wreck it, it's totaled either way.

Top Bottom