truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Pics are here www.truespode.net/pvmx902.htm or you can find them in the ride report area of www.truespode.net

I have to share one pic first… this is where James passed me. It was awesome. I’ll get back to it in the ride report.

url]

I get to the track and meet up with James and Mike. We look at the track and it looks to be in great shape. In the first practice we notice it is quite a bit wet but still the track is GREAT!

I love Parker Valley.

A few days before I had swapped out the rear sprocket from the 49 tooth I was running back to the stock 48 tooth. Parker Valley has a few uphill straights and I wanted to be able to hold 3rd gear a little longer. In practice I felt I made the right decision.

The racer order was a disappointment to a certain extent. We ended up racing with the A/B riders in both of our classes, Unlimited and 250 (MikeT only raced the Unlimited class so the pics are courtesy of him).

In the heat race of the Unlimited class MikeT tried to take me out on the start! He came right over on me and pinched me off!! Ok, so it wasn’t that bad. Actually the guy to my left came over so far he almost hit Mike. Mike was on my right and although he came over a bit on me it wasn’t anything to worry about until the guy to my left cut over.

I was doing ok in the heat and hitting the big double on the back of the track. On this double you come out of a left hand 180 sweeper and gun it. I was getting up into 4th and making the jump pretty easily. My only problem was that I forgot to downshift in the air so I lost some momentum when I landed. Later in the day I started holding 3rd due to the choppy stuff before the take off and I ended up doing much better. I was jumping farther and able to keep my moment up. A few times I shifted down to 2nd and was able to wheelie over the two holes/braking bumps in the corner right after the landing.

The only other doubles on the track is a double double section before the finish line table top. I followed James around the right hander before the double double and tried to match James speed but didn’t get a good enough jump out of the corner and ended up casing it hard. I almost bounced myself off the track!

Today I looked at the fenders and there were some fresh scrapes on both fenders! Luckily no frame damage. My ankles still feel it though.

By this time Mike was gone and I couldn’t see him. I didn’t see James either. I just focused on my race. I ended up near the back of the pack (out of 22 in the Unl class).

The 250 heat was only 5 races later. I was tired after only 3 laps and barely had time to get a drink of water and head back down. At least the main events will be 5 laps so we’ll have more time between races.

In the 250 I didn’t do too well either and honestly I can’t remember where I finished.

On to the MAINS!!

I decided to just take it easy in the Unlimited race and enjoy the track. By this time the track was really beaten up and there were a lot of braking bumps. I really enjoyed it. However, my suspension and steering damper really helps in these conditions. I just have to keep up my momentum and the bike absorbs all the bumps and tweaks and I don’t have to fight it too much.

I came around one corner just in time to see James do a “SUPERMAN BERM GRAB.” Basically, he low sided and wrapped himself around the berm like it was a fine woman! :) Back in the pits after the races he found out he had a bent radiator :(

I ended up somewhere in front of James in the Unlimited main but we were back of the pack around 14th or so out of 22. Mike got 9th and a trophy (really a plaque). Way to go Mike!!

In the 250D I took some advice from Mike. He said when the lady turns the card sideways the gate drops about 1 second afterwards. I timed it just right and jumped the gate! I had a decent start and was in around 8th or so on the start. I quickly got passed by a few riders but kept holding on the gas and rode as hard as I could.

Around lap 3 or so James and I were coming up to the double double. I went wide and he cut under. He did both doubles and I rolled them. His speed over the doubles put him past me by about 3 bike lengths. The pic above is when it happened… great job by Mike to catch the most exciting (for me anyway) part of the race.

I tried to catch James and close a bike length or two here and there but he was moving and I couldn’t put any serious time on him. Next time to the double double he did it again and pulled out a really good lead.

I knew he was tired so I tried to dig deep but I was making a lot of mistakes and sitting when I should have been standing and although I felt like I was moving faster I really wasn’t.

James ended up a solid 10th ( final trophy position was 9th) and I finished 11th out of 18. Not a bad race overall.

I felt the bike ran well enough considering I was running a 250F in the 250 class and there were quite a few hills and high speed sections. If I was better in the corners I’d have done better so I really shouldn’t blame the bike.

However, the 450F looks so nice that it may just be the excuse I need :)

Ivan

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Sounds like you guys had fun. It's always more entertaining when you have friends to race with. Cool pics, too. LOL! Squid position. . .

I'll be happy to help you evaluate the 450 when you get it. ;)

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
That web page is hilarious. As always, you are way to kind and gracious in your storytelling. Too bad you are such a Beeotch in person!!!

I'm quite certain that if you get that 450, I'll have to get used to following your slow, tired butt again. Right now, I am thinking that 125 class bike is the only thing allowing me to stay close because I know you are faster than me.

I'm just glad I joined this site and picked up such a good crew of riding and racing buddies. DRNers is good people!!!

Last edited:

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Rocking good times, sounds like everyone had a blast. I really hope everyone shows up at Shelby next Saturday, It will probually be the last time I get out that way for a while. MikeT, I really hope you can show up too. My bike is ready, I don't think I could do any more prep maintainence, but it's a week away and already I'm excited. :)
Keep in touch,

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by 96whyzee125
MikeT, I really hope you can show up too.
No beans dude. The boss wouldn't like racing two weeks in a row with the current $$ situation, plus I think she has me prepping the bathroom for paint. I'll get my race update up a little later today.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I'll know more towards the end of the week.

OK, I have the family stuff worked out.....bike will probably run fine as it is for another outing. Still hurt all over but this SHOULD be better by Saturday.

Last edited:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I had a blast at Parker Valley! It was the first race I participated in 12 years and I had a lot of fun.

When we got to the racetrack and got partially set up Ivan and I took a walk over to the long line at the Port a Potties. As we waited, Ivan told me about how the staggered starts worked (which I had never done before) and about what time we needed to get to the gate. About that time Ivan’s “5th and a half” sense kicked in and he became keenly aware that out of the two port-a-potties, no one was coming out of one. Ivan then took it upon himself to investigate and come to the aid of the distressed victim who was trapped in the potty. Heat or the noxious gasses may have overcome whoever was in there and Ivan was going to aid them no matter what. He went up to the door and then assessed that the door was simply locked with no one inside. He then looked back at the long line of people with crossed legs and decided to get something done. Using keys, sticks, his credit card and anything else he could get his hands on, Ivan worked feverishly at the door. Then in one last ditch effort and display of brute strength, Ivan actually ripped the door open and fixed the lock! I was simply in awe. I knew then and there I was in the presence of greatness. Ivan being the gentleman that he is let the next person inline use the newly re-opened facility. It was the highlight of my day. :)

I therefore award Ivan with the TRUESPODE Port-a-Potty Engineering award!

Back to the racing..

Ivan spoiled James and I with not only a pop-up shade canopy, but also a fan! It was really nice to be able to cool off like that. He also had all the races written down on a white board and a clock.... That and some cold water, I felt like a pro! If I could only race half as fast that would be really good.
At the start of the qualifying heat, my bike pulled pretty quickly to the left, right in front of Ivan, why, I don't know but it did. I didn't hear any clunks or feel any pushing, so I didn't hit him, (whew!) then when I got off the track I didn't see him for a few minutes... I started to think he DNF'd because I crashed him or something. Then he showed up and told me the guy on his left actually took the honors of squeezing him out. I actually got about 7th in the hole for a pretty good start.... then all the guys on 250's 426's and everything else seemed to pass me. I finished 11th out of 23 the first moto passing one guy on the finish line jump! Then we had the main, it was only 5 laps, but man was I tired after that. On the last lap one guy passed me about 1/4 the way into the last lap. I kept pushing and was able to pass two fallen riders and one guy who just got worn out (which was how I felt). I ended up finishing 9th for the day and was very happy.

James and Ivan also raced in the 250D class so I became the photographer, which was where I was able to get all those pictures, and you don't see any of me. Such is the life of an amateur photographer. During the main I am SURE I saw Ivan pass this one guy #87 or #97..... Without a doubt he passed him, but James was ON IT! He was doing the double double combo and clearing most of the tabletops, I was quite impressed. He actually got faster as the laps wore on. Out of the six laps, he was much faster on 4,5,and 6 than 1,2,and 3. James had a very strong finish for a full day of riding. The track was getting rutted as the day wore on and I think we would have all benefited from Ivan’s steering stabilizer.

Ivan wasn't as slow as he makes himself out to be, he did well; trust me, there were guys who were pulling off the track that couldn't keep up with him.

My prayers that no one would get hurt were answered :) and I only noticed that one guy just got a little shaken up that day. I am very happy that we had a great day. James bike got a little bent up but it can be fixed.

MikeT

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I therefore award Ivan with the TRUESPODE Port-a-Potty Engineering award!

I laughed very hard... my co-workers are starting to worry about me... again.

GREAT Report!!

They are running again on the 21st and I can make it.

You?

Ivan

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I am planning on the October 12th practice day and I hope you guys might be able to also.

Top Bottom