ats666

Apr 26, 2007
Well I have a 79 yz250 and I bought a 87ish yz250 for $50 (topend and bottom end were fubar)

I am wanting to swap the front tire, brakes, forks and tripple clamps.

The bike also came with front forks that have supposedly been revalved recently so those are the ones I am wanting to use. The ones on the 87 bike are bent, leaking, etc.

Everything swapped in perfectly except that the left front fork does not have threads in it for the axle bolt.

I guess my question is how is an axle bolt held in on this style of forks? The right fork has the pinch bolt like my origonal one did.

Hopefully this makes sense, Thanx
I can use a heli-coil kit but thats $145

Mar 18, 2006
I had '78 and '79 yz250's. 30yrs ago, holy crap. Anyway, isn't that just a through-bolt and nut on the '79. maybe you could just drill out the leg and spacer things accurately?

ats666

Apr 26, 2007
nope, on the 79 the fork leg is threaded.
On the fork I want to put on I would need to drill it alittle bit bigger and then heli-coil it.
I ordered a heli-coil kit through my shop and it cost me $145, I damn near crapped my pants.... I have bought 6 or 7 heli-coil kits and they never cost me more then $60.

I know its a m16 x 1.5

Last edited:

ats666

Apr 26, 2007
I want to swap the 87 yz tripple clamps and the and the tire and the brake shoes to my 79...
The forks that were on the 87 were fubar but it came with a set of really nice ones(the revalved ones).

I talked with a bike mech today and he said to just drill and tap the axle bolt and use a washer and another bolt to hold the forks together.

Top Bottom