Parts availability 8-10 year old bikes

bultaco4ever

Oct 14, 2009
I've been a vintage Bultaco racer. Getting parts for Buls is pretty easy because Bultaco did not redesign their bikes every other year. The parts interchange from year to year. (That's what ultimately caused them to go out of business. They didn't evolve fast enough).

Now I want to race in a different vintage environment. My AMA district defines 'vintage' as an 8 year or older machine. So, I am looking for a 2001-2003 YZ250, CR250, or RM250 two strokes.

What is the parts availability issues with these model years?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Bike bandit is pretty good for OEM parts and with an AMA # you get 10% off the total bill. They also sell aftermarket parts. Plus $8.95 shipping on all orders no matter how many items. In their parts search the year goes back a long way but the aviliblity may not be there. I'd browse their site to see what brands have the best selection of parts that you expect to need to buy for the year you need.

I like their service and price and highly recomend them.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
High Lord Gomer said:
Parts should be easy to get except for the RMs...most people have realized what POSs those are by now and have discarded them. :p
I love you too Mike.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
The parts are easy to get. At least that's MHO. I still pick up oem stuff for a 2001 CR125, 1997 YZ125, and just sold an 04 YZ250 that I rebuilt quite often with oem parts. In my neck of the woods they pretty much consider those years non-current rather that vintage. My 79 Maicos are not vintage - they run EVO (evolution class). Anyway for my money I'd get a YZ. Pretty sure most people would agree they were pretty good bikes.

bultaco4ever

Oct 14, 2009
Maintenance-wise...How long can piston and rings last in these 01-04 two strokes? I'm going to look at an '01 YZ250. Any suggestions on what to look for or how to evaluate?

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
6-10 hours when ridden by a pro.

60-100 hours when ridden by Ivan.

6-100 hours when ridden by me (depends on when I crashed on the throttle side and left it WFO).

I normally look at the common wear points to evaluate how well it has been taken care of: Kickstarted, shifter, pegs, wheel bearings, etc.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Hey we just sold an 04 YZ250 (I mentioned this already), anyway, I know there are quite a few people who might disagree, but, my son raced about every other weekend, B class, and practice here and there, and he changed to piston and rings during winter downtime. At that time he also inspected the entire engine. He did his bottom end every other winter until he got his 09 YZ250 which he still races. He loved the 04 but definetly likes the 09 suspension better(not to mention the aluminum frame). I'd go for an 04 and have the suspension sent out and set for you. Might be a good time to lay in some extra OEM parts if you plan to keep the bike. Just think - would'nt it be cool if someone stocked up on OEM Taco or Breako parts back in the day and still had them ( I mean me!).

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Senior KX Rider said:
I have a couple KXs 95 and 99 and have NO problem getting parts

Absolutley! I still get 97 YZ125 OEM parts. I just wish I had my own parts department with 25 of everything Maico! At some point the parts are no more :(

HondaBrat

Jan 2, 2002
Best thing to do when going to look at a different bike is take a compression gauge with ya.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
Depends on how ya ride it. A B/C guy running a couple of practice days and a few races a month should get a year before a new piston. If you wanted to throw in a set of rings 6 mo in, you could measure the piston to gauge. I still have a 2000 CR that sees mixed use.

Top Bottom