Parts available for '88 KDX 200??

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
My sons senior project is to restore a bike from his birth year.
I've found a '88 KDX and although it's compete, I'd like to cherry it out.
Can I get side panels aftermarket and a tank, seat cover after market for it???
How 'bout engine parts, (piston, rod, bearings, clutches, seals/gaskets????
Tanks,
Joe :ride:
I'm not old, I borrowed this gray hair and pot belly! :nener:

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
I did a complete rebuild on my 88 about this time last year. The only aftermarket plastic I could find was a front fender. Lucky for me my plastic was in good shape. All the plastic is available from Kawasaki, Bike Bandit, Ron Ayres if you want to pay the price!

Piston, upper bearing are still the same as the 05 200's. Easy to get anywhere. Rockymountainatv.com seemed like the cheapest place for gaskets, piston and rings. Clutch is same as some 80's KX 125's. Also easy to get.

Have Fun!

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
Tanks!
I've done a few restores,(Huskys, a Cagivia and my favorite a Montessa),along with stripping and go through our race bikes every winter, (it's a hobby of mine).
I have to step back and let the boys do this one.
I'm gonna promise to only do what is asked!
I figure this KDX should be easy, parts have gotta interchange with many others.
I checked the dealer he has listing for many parts, (now if the factory still has them is another story!). Maire has side panels, they have a rear fender that SHOULD???? fit, front fender should be easy, Head light is easy, Kawi has the tank, (so far that's all I look at).
He has to take millions of pics, do it and then give a 1/2 hour speech on it, so if anyone knows a link to the history of the KDX, that'd help him.
Our club here in Pa. (BMER) has a vintage MX race, I thought he enter with it, that'd be the final pics, "see I restored it and raced it, (hopefully he trophy!)
Thanks,
Joe

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
Joe28KDX

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/

This link contains a time line for the different model years of the KDX. I'm not sure how much you have been around the KDX, the 86, 87, 88 models are all basically the same. They had a few cosmetic differences, mechanically the same. I had an 86 and an 88 both good machines.

again, have fun and good luck

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…