Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Just got me a little mini parts washer from ebay. I was wondering what is acceptable to use. The sticker says to use a petroluem based degreaser with a flashpoint of less then 105 deg F. Is Low odor mineral spirits acceptable? The cans it came in don't list this info.

Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
I got a mini cleaner from nothern hydralics. It came w/a nonflammable degreaser. It worked really good. you might do a search and come up w/some non flammmable stuff. I went w/non flam because it's in my basement. No need to burn the house down cleaning parts!

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Mineral Spirits, add a bit of water for volume, and 1 quart atf to take the sting out.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I've always liked ZEP solvents, but talk about expensive :scream:

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Skid... this too is in my basement. I was wondering if there is non-flammable parts cleaner. Now... how do I get rid of 3 gallons of mineral spririts?

luvtolean

Oct 3, 2002
Originally posted by nephron
Mineral Spirits, add a bit of water for volume, and 1 quart atf to take the sting out.

When I worked at a tranny shop the first thing we did after the solvent tanks had been cleaned, refreshed, was dump a quart of ATF in.

I've known guys that use diesel in parts washers, but haven't tried it myself.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Originally posted by Fark
Now... how do I get rid of 3 gallons of mineral spririts?
Around here we pour it on the fire-ant nests. :)

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
probably for flash corrosion resistance, that would be my guess at least..

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
I just bought a 3.5 gallon washer from Northern Hydraulics for $40. Also picked up a 5 gal pail of Aqueous Biodegradable Parts Washer Solution for $35. So far this stuff is pretty good, easy on the nose and hands, although I bought gloves also.

;)

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
parts washers, like to clean/degrease engine parts

Top Bottom