83XR500R

Mar 16, 2007
I've got a great running 83XR500 that I'd like to put rear pegs on. It's so my girlfreind can trail ride with me. We have a great time on my street bike but she'd love to see the trails. We are both light...275 combined...and my first thought is to look into BMX freestyle stuff, as I remember having flip up pegs on the forks of a GT ProPerformer BMX bike as a kid. I'll go that route unless someone has better suggestions. Thanks to all.

83XR500R

Mar 16, 2007
I've seen those. Can you imagine having your feet move with the swingarm? The pegs themselves are fine...but I'm thinking more along the line of a mount to the frame/subframe. I'm trying to find decent pics of 83 XL600's...I found that they have passenger pegs on cheapcycleparts.com. They're called "pinions"!?. Thanks.

83XR500R

Mar 16, 2007
I just found that even prolink equiped XLs use pegs on the darn swingarm! That's got to be uncomfortable as heck for the passenger on anything but a paved road! I'm really surprized.

83XR500R

Mar 16, 2007
Her and I tried it for size and they are a bit high but not that bad. Safetey does come to mind though...as having her legs higher may make her more prone to getting thrown off the back...and knowing her she'd sure as heck take me with her! :nod: Ideally I should look at the bike boneyard for something. Most street bikes have lightweight drop down brackets for the pegs. Thanks!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
83XR500R said:
Ideally I should look at the bike boneyard for something. Most street bikes have lightweight drop down brackets for the pegs. Thanks!

That would be a good idea. Many of the current crotchrockets have drop-down brackets. All you would have to do is weld 4 threaded bosses on the subframe or a bracket with threaded holes and you could remove them when they are not in use.

I did this to my '83 XR350 and it worked great. Made my own peg brackets and pegs from 4130 tubing

Top Bottom