Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
racerx

Pastrana plans on racing AMA/Red Bull Supermoto

Racer X has learned that Team SoBe Suzuki's injured motocross star Travis Pastrana is having a new Suzuki Supermoto race bike made and is hoping to join Jeremy McGrath in the upcoming AMA/Red Bull Supermoto Series. Pastrana, a former 125cc National Motocross Champion and 125cc East Region Supercross Champion, is out indefinitely with a knee injury and is considering trying other forms of motorsports in the future, including rally car racing and the Summer X Games in Los Angeles. Pastrana only raced three times for Suzuki this year due to injuries.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Originally posted by Senior KX Rider

Pastrana only raced three times for Suzuki this year due to injuries.
:| Man thats a D@&n shame. Theres SO much talent in that kid. I know we've beat this horse to death, the quote just killed me is all. Had to comment.

FMFHonda161

Jul 11, 2002
This may sound like im joking, but i am not. Maybe itwould do travis some good to race a 125 for 1 moire season. Just to get into racing again without too much for him. Just to get useds to racing again

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I predict some of the wildest wipe-outs in Supermoto history!

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Maybe TP can help Supermoto kill FMX. :debil:

Think about it. . .Supermoto could be an alternative to retirement for all the older/injured MXers out there.

KDX'r in IN

~SPONSOR~
May 26, 2001
I read in one of the mags. that Jeff Ward raced a supermoto and whipped up on MC. Speaking of Jeff has anyone heard much about him...why not racing in the IRL?

jfisher304

Nov 15, 1999
The IRL is hurting right now. He lost his ride from last year, and no slots have opened up. Alot of the two car teams from last year are down to one car this season, and many have shut down completely. A friend of mine works for one of the teams, and after Indy this year, there is talk of the IRL organisation itself being out of money and time before this season is done. Aparently the title sponsor of the series is trying to get out of it's contract, and some of the tracks themselves are wanting out as well because the gate money etc won't cover the IRL's sanction fees. A shame really, I was at TMS last year when Ward won over Al Jr by a few inches, they put on a good show at some tracks.....

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by KDX'r in IN
I read in one of the mags. that Jeff Ward raced a supermoto and whipped up on MC.....
Uh, I guess if you can call leading 19 of 20 laps and getting passed by somebody that was a previous front runner of the Superbiker series when you got stuck in a bad spot behind a lapper in your first ever SM race getting "whipped" I guess that's what happend :silly:

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Originally posted by jfisher304
The IRL is hurting right now.
Yeah it is. . .thanks, Tony. :silly: US open wheel racing was excellent before George stuck his head up his a**. I don't wanna go off on a tangent, but the IRL is pretty weak. I'll never forgive Tony George for screwing up Indycar racing.

jfisher304

Nov 15, 1999
I like the IRL chassis and engine package better than the old CART series, but I think they should re-join the two series and run some road courses. It could be worse.....we could have Elcelstone for a series director...lol

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I agree on the engine package. Turbo motors sound cool, but they're pretty much irrelevant these days. I like both series' chassis though.

Heh. . .I just hope Uncle Bernie never gets his hands on MX.

I can see it now - entry fees would swell to $5000 per rider, and gate fees would start at $200. Testing would only be allowed every 4th Tuesday, and qualifying would be limited to one lap per rider. Only one 30 minute practice session would be allowed per track date. Pit stops would be mandatory, and a 10 mph pit lane speed limit would be imposed. Spectators would be moved back to a minimum of 100 feet from the track, and immense gravel traps would be installed at each turn.

Damn. . .I'm starting to scare myself. :eek:

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
Yeah, it is pretty interesting in how supermoto is picking up now, with some big names dropping their names in the races.....Do you think we will see RC sliding around one of those tracks in the future?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I doubt we'll see RC doing much in SM, he's way to spastic of a rider. If you notice the guys that are doing well in SM all are VERY smooth such a Ward & McGrath. The knee draggers also seem to do well but I suspect the comfort level on the bike might be different since they are MX bikes with gumballs, hence a little tall and tippy feeling to the pavement scorchers. Once it becomes more popular I suspect things will be more "even".

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Re: Ward and Supermoto, he competed in the SupermotoUSA Triple Crown Season Opener on April 26-27, in Vallejo, CA.

Per Cycle News, Ward finished 5th in the Prestige Class (the main event), ahead of such notables as Doug Chandler (ex flatracker and 500cc GP roadracer), Rich Alexander (USA champ roadracer), Micky Dymond (AMA champ MX'er) and Scott Russell (world and US champ roadracer).

Ward is Honda mounted. At the event, he won both the 'Open Extreme' races.

Top Bottom