nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Dirck Edge said:
Your brain, quite simply, does not function properly for an extended period of time following a severe concussion

Exactly. 3 observations:
1) RP is a parent, which is the strongest bond, other than marriage, that exists, although I agree that since he's bailing, Suzuki should pull the plug.
2) RP needs to say "NO" to Travis, IRREGARDLESS of what Travis, Suzuki, Roger or anyone else wants. End of story. There's no room here for luvvy-duvvy "allow my son to make the decision" stuff. If he goes down again, it might take years to recover (if and when).
3) He has NOTHING to lose waiting for the SX season. Forget the national title, he's not riding "right" right now anyway, probably because of the above statement.

And I'm telling you, there is absolutely no correlation between IQ and decision-making capabilities of 17 year olds, ANY of them, because their virgin neurons are bathed in substances that have long ago wilted to abandonment in our bodies (speak for myself, eh?). Additionally, he is currently subject to "peer pressure".

Their psychology is entirely different than an adult (come on, aren't there any child psych/development folks here? Speak up.)

And for all the 17 year olds out there (Rich and Okie included ;) ), I'm not trying to bash you. I'd give my left nut to be 17 again (ok, ok I'm 34), it's a great age. It's just not a great age to make major decisions like this. You'll look back at yourself when you're in your 30's, 40''s and say "why did I do that?". Trust me, it'll happen. Even the brilliant dot com millionaire kids suffer from the same disability.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
To be or not to be . . .

Originally posted by Vic
Should [a] seventeen year old . . . be allowed to make . . . decisions for himself? :think
That is the question. Take MX/SX/everything else out of it. This is the question, none of us truly has the answer.

holyroller1

Jun 20, 2001
Nephron

I tend to agree with your statement. I am not a psychiatrist, psychologist or the like, nor do I claim to be an expert in the area. However I do have training and an education background in Psychology, child development and other courses in this area. You see I am a Youth Minister so much of my training has to do with the development and overall thinking of young people. For the last 5 years I have worked with 100's of young people from the ages of 12-20. Therefore I have seen many different aspects of young persons thoughts.

Although most young people gain the ability of abstract thought, and higher thought processes before puberty that still does not mean a person who is only 5 years past that point can fully understand or recognize consequences and ramifications of all of their actions. So many teens are focused on me, me and me. And when they are thinking of "me" they are not thinking of their personal well being, so to speak.

We all need guidance to excel, that is fact. We all need human interaction to perform to our full potential. It seems to me that teens especially, do not fully recognize the need for guidance and direction from others. Late teens are in a very important transition time in their lives. This is a time when freedoms that they have never experienced are being opened to them. Sometimes these decisions can lead to very grave mistakes, other times they do not. It varies greatly with the individual as to the level of responsibility they can handle at this time.

Another thing I have noticed in my work is the fact the competitive athlete's tend to lend themselves to the "macho, I am able to handle whatever comes my way by myself" attitude. You put things like this together with people pushing them to perform and that one way track of "me" thinking along with the drive to perform to their "full" potential can lead in many directions. Some of these directions can be very detrimental to their well being.

It is not my decision as to what Travis should do. However it is still his parents duty to guide him. As another person stated earlier you don't have to put your foot down, just give good advice. It is not good for any athlete to play around with medical conditions such as a concussion. Would I let me son or daughter participate, I think not, but those are my feelings.

Sorry for the incessant babbling.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
XRP- Under the circumstances, the answer is painfully obvious, to me.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
I almost agree to the prior post. I am LEARNING the art of teenager parenting. I have 4 now. Actually one of the yonger ones does infact define priorities based on her future goals. Very focused and also very sucessful young lady. My oldest is like the river...the easiest course to whereever it happens to end up. The Airforce decided to take him on after he tested 84 on the entry exams.

The two middle ones are in that range 13-16 where peer pressure and creature comforts rule the day. Oh yea ..anything to get outa ANYTHING that looks like work!

Travis is obviously both a capable and focused young man. I doubt he fits into ANY sterio typing. I think the worst influence on a kid like that is a proud papa. At some point my bet is someone like Roger De Coster will be able to make the MOST objective decisionon Travis. Roger has seen it all. Been there done that. What ever happens, my bet is roger De Coster will have a large say in it AND it will be the right move.

:)

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
There are some great posts above this one, and what seems to be a lot of concerned fans.

A friend of mine took his 9 year old son to Hangtown this year. Travis was available to sign autographs. The 9 year old (Willie) went up to Travis with a couple of his pals to get an autograph. He wouldn't give them is autograph! That's right he would NOT give them his autograph! UNTIL, they gave him their's. What a CLASS ACT. Can you imagine how good these kids felt?

I sure hope Travis can get over his injuries completely, but based on what I know and what I read, this can't happen without rest and rehabilitation.

I don't think the pressure Travis is under, allows him at age 17 to make a sound decision. He cares too much about winning, and not letting the fans down. He truly loves his fans. You can see it in every interview. My advice for Robert Pastrana is keep him home. I am not MD, but at 42 and a father of two teenagers, the parent needs to make Travis' decisions for him.

Let's just all hope (or pray) that all goes Travis' way, whether or not he competes in the X-games, or finishes the outdoor season.

MXDad

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 25, 2000
This thread is really interesting to me. I am a bit surprised at how harshly people are judging Robert Pastrana.

I am sure that outside of DRN, there would be (and are) an onslaught of Dr's, parents, employers, friends and onlookers who would accuse each and every one of us who rides, races or let our kids ride and race of how irresponsible, negligent and dangerous we are.

I don't think that any of us, who are not intimately involved in this, know all the details of this situation. I am also confident that the Pastrana's, Suzuki and everyone else involved are evaluating extraordinary amounts of feedback regarding Travis' future decisions. When I read RP's letter, I actually found it to be a reasonable perspective about a very challenging balance when you are involved or have kids involved in a very dangerous sport. I have kids who ride and one who races and I wrestle constantly with the decision of whether or not to even let him continue racing. Granted, this circumstance with the repeated head injury changes the stakes, but without being the father of a 17 year old phenom, and the benefit of all the information and opinion I'm sure he's been give, I can't even imagine how I would react in the same circumstance.

I too, would not lose one ounce of respect for Travis if he sits out one, more or all future races. I also hope that whatever decision the Pastrana's make, we fans will respect and support that decision.

NorCal_Red

Jun 29, 2001
Another Ezra Lusk

Is this going to turn into another Ezra Lusk type deal? I think unless Pastrana starts injuring other riders then they should pull him but he seems to know his own limitations and isnt a dumb guy. People should remember that this kid has had his fair share of injuries and I dont think he is willing to push himself enough to force him outta racing. Pastrana's father is right by letting him make his own decisions because later on in life when his parents are gone and he is still racing (hopefully) he will make wise decisions. i think this will all go away soon and pastrana is just having some pastrana luck this season.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I believe Pastrana Senior's statements are weak and self serving. Maybe he shouldn't make the decision for Travis, but he should provide some very strong guidance.:silly:

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Originally posted by EM rider
"Am I the only one that has a creepy feeling after reading this? IMO Pastrana Sr. has a screw loose. One duty of parenthood is to protect your children and offer wise counsel. I don't see much of either here.

This is where I come down, too. I know nobody's perfect -- especially at parenting. But some decisions are so obvious that not making them on behalf of, and for the sake of, your child shows something's not quite right. :think

ps - is that really you MXDad? Long time no read. . .

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
MX Des Nation News----

Ryan Hughes will not be on the Team due to a concussion he suffered at Glen Helen.
He will be replaced by --Kevin Windham!
Travis is still planning on being on the team despite his recent battles with concussions.:eek:
The Team will now consist of Pastrana - Windham and Carmichael

I hope the best for Travis, and then I try to not think of the quality of life Mohammed Ali enjoys from all the times he had his bell rung.

84XRGuy

Mar 7, 2001
I was at Millville this past weekend and Travis pulled himself out of the first moto and stated that he will not be finishing the rest of the season!

DSsuper92

Mar 27, 2000
Next months issue of Racer X has a little interview with both Langston's father and Pastrana's father in the Five minutes of Fame section. I got a creepy feeling from Robert Pastrana's answers. They were more than likely made in jest but I think his true "mini-dad" side showed.

Top Bottom