XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
From www.racerxill.com :

We just got off the phone with Robert Pastrana, who called in what he referred to as his "Monday morning damage control call."

Seems Travis was never unconscious, which was erroneously reported yesterday. "I was with him the whole time and he never lost consciousness," said Robert. "In fact, he felt that he'd broken his leg. And the first thing he said when we sat him up was, 'How many points?'" Meaning, how many points had he lost to Brown and Langston. Robert said Travis would seek the opinion of his orthopedic surgeon on the enxtent of his shoulder, ankle and tib/fib injury this morning. Robert added that "He has no headaches so there is no reason for another MRI." Robert closed with saying Travis will take a week of "laying low," then see about practicing next week for the upcoming X Games (Aug. 17-23).
Let's all hope the kid is OK!:)

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
What a talent this kid has. Lets hope he doesn't smash himself out of this game before he reaches his prime. He's what, 18? 17? He has so many years. To push it right now doing stuff like free style runs the risk of killing a promising career before it even starts. Right now he's on to the "flash in the pan" career path. The decisions he makes now will determine his future. I hope I am wrong. He is a lot of fun to watch and great for this sport. But as I have posted before, he worries me. I've see this before.:(

Of course I realize this his decisions are his own to make and we are on the out side looking in.

Last edited:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Wheew!!
Thank God he was cleared to race by Dr. Robert Pastrana...:silly:

MRKRacing125

Oct 24, 2000
You guys have to admit, Robert Pastrana has to be the best father in the world, and you would know this by travis's Revelation 199 video! I hope travis is at the X Games. With out him, the X Games would just be the same ole' X Games! We need someone that will lauch themselfs into one of the Lakes or Oceans!:p

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
To push it right now doing stuff like free style

Although he did have a very serious injury in freestyle, all the rest of his injuries have been on the track.

After talking with ex MX'ers turned jump monkeys (Shaun Highland and a few others - we've welded on their frames before a few events), they all say the freestyle is much easier on the body than MX or Supercross. The jump is the same every time, there's no one else to tangle with, the landing is the same every time.

Anyway, I don't care what his dad said - Pastrana was on the ground for a long time after the practice crash on Sunday AM at Washougal - I saw that one. He was on the ground much longer for the crash in the 2nd moto. I didn't see that one, but he lay there at least 5 minutes.

The practice-lap crash occurred in the whoop section near the finish line - we were about 10' from him (in the Parts Unlimited tent for anyone who knows the layout) and he crashed into the face of a whoop, then lay still until the medic got to him. He was moving around and talking to the guys right away, but did not get up for awhile - maybe 2 min. Then after he got up, he was still dazed and acting like his bell was rung. It took another 3 or 4 min to get back on the bike. When he rode away, he even had a little trouble staying upright at slow speed while looking over his shoulder for fast traffic. "Wobbly" would best describe his affect.

I don't know if "damage control" means Mr. Pastrana is trying to prevent rumors, or trying to make sure the sponsors think Travis is okay, but I hope the voice of reason wins out and Travis is able to take some time off to get healthy again.

I don't think a healthy Travis would have had the crashes that occured at Washougal. At least not all three!

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
Here what RP has to say about his son racing.RP

I have to say that I'm worried about the kids long term health. I wish he would take the rest of the season off.

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
Dang! Great letter.

It still leaves the question - can a 17 year old make the right decision in this case?

Would I, at 17, make the right decision? I didn't make very many good decisions at that age (fortunately none of them bit me too hard).

Hard to say.

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
I think that Travis should definitely take it easy for the next three weeks and prepare for the next race and skip the X-Games. If after taking the time off he is feeling OK and checks out OK with a doctor then I'd say race, but if it is even the least bit questionable its time to watch one from the sidelines. His health is much more important than winning this title.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
You have to give the kid some credit. He's no dummy. He graduated high school early (albeit homeschooled, but that's another subject altogether), is already enrolled in college, is very well spoken, and has a long term goal in life (to be a broadcaster).

Still, he's got a lot of living left to do in his life. I don't envy his parents one bit, the dilemma they face every Sunday. I think of the time when I may be in their place and it makes me shudder.

Is a 17-year old qualified to make decisions for himself? Should his parents "pull rank" and make him sit the rest of the season? Should DeCoster (who probably has TP's best interests in mind) make him sit? These are all questions that we can debate back and forth, but in the end none of us really has the answer. It falls on the shoulders of one young man with loads of talent and what seems to be a good (albeit rattled lately) head on his shoulders.

Lots to think about. :think

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
It is always easier to sit on the outside looking in. I do not envy his parents.
I've seen this too many times in other sports. The most talented kids get too good too fast and beat themselves up and out of their sport before they ever reach their prime. I sure hope he makes the right choice. It would be really cool to see him ride in 3 to 4 years with loads of experience and all his talent. :)

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Yup, Travis is just too fast for his age. Wouldn't bother me a bit to see him sit the rest of the Nat. season out and get healthy for Des Nations and the 250 SX season. He's won the titles, it's time to think about the future?

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
A 17 year old make a decision such as this? Give me a break. NO. TP's father's taking the "easy" way out--taking the dive out of "responsibility" and "parenthood"'s way....What a chickensh.t. No way in hell I'd let my son complete the nationals this year in this condition, even if he WAS the best rider ever to grace the planet's dirt-laden surface (and Travis probably isn't). This guy's not a parent, he's a cheerleader obviously living vicariously through Travis. Best example of this is his "recollection" of his own "proud" life--going to VietNam as a 17 y/o. Courageous? NO. Stupid? YES. That part I'll agree with. IDIOT. Not courageous.

I remember in highschool when I was 17, I thought my own parents were "idiots" because they wouldn't allow me to buy a 67 tripower vette to take to college as a daily driver. God was I ignorant. They "forced" me to take a Honda (car) instead. I really didn't start making smart decisions (and still have a bit of a problem...:o ) until I was entirely beyond college and medical school, in San Diego.

Travis needs a parent to say "NO". Absolutely not. He doesn't need another cheerleader. If he waits until next SX season, he might never have another serious head ding again. If he doesn't, he's got a hell of a lot to lose.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Neph-
I have to agree that Mr. Pastrana seems to be taking the easy way out, but you have to admit that the kid is no dummy. I also have to believe that Roger D would not do anything to endanger the kid. I think they both have Travis' best interests at heart.

Makes for good debate, though.

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
The most talented kids get too good too fast and beat themselves up and out of their sport before they ever reach their prime.

Like Robbie Reynard. It's hard to think back to when this kid was more of a mini phenom than Pastrana - but he was. I've always wondered what he would have been like without all the serious injuries.

Sounds like a good time for Travis to learn about personal responsibility

I believe Travis already understands personal responsibility better than I do (at 37), and definitely better than any non-professional kid of his age.

It's not a matter of personal responsibility.

When you're younger, you don't have the experience to create a good long-term view of life. In most cases, although Travis has seen his share of suffering, it is very difficult to understand the fragility of life.

It seems that every year I age, I become more aware of how much I love living, and I don't want to do anything that would endanger that life. Whether it's serious injury or death.

I know that Roger D. has Travis' best interests at heart. He is truly an above-average individual who cares more about his riders than his trophy case.

I guess I just wish someone would tell Travis - "You're not riding, take the rest of the season off. You have too many good years ahead of you to screw it up now."

But looking back at the history of this young kid - I don't think that will happen. This is the guy who had a chance of winning the 125 outdoor last year and risked it all on a backflip at the X games.

Max Factor

Sponsoring Member
Oct 18, 2000
I don't think that he should be told he can't ride, I agree it should be his decision. I'd still be a fan either way.

I saw the replay of the 2nd moto crash at Washougal last night on moto world. He went down HARD, really hard. It would've taken anyone out of the race, even without prior concussions. If he does continue this season, he's gotto be a little more level headed and not throw caution to the wind. Prior to that crash, he was riding way over the edge. I think it was the panic and desperation that caused him to go down, not so much the previous concussion. If he can't control it mentally, he should pull the pin now before it kills him physically.

PedroMx

Jan 12, 2001
DualSportr wrote:

"When you're younger, you don't have the experience to create a good long-term view of life. In most cases, although Travis has seen his share of suffering, it is very difficult to understand the fragility of life. "

I think that there you have the answer to this matter, anyway this is his call like it was our call when we made our own 17 year old decisions.

But when I made my 17 year old decisions they were made under the freedom that my parents gave me (very little, but that was the idea at the moment).
Like stated before, his parents are't doing what they are obligued to do and that is to protect their cub, not to be younger than him.

I can imagine the pressure at what this young man is working, and that image that everything is OK that he personifies is at least scary. They are putting this kid under the obligation of being the nicest guy - too much pressure.

I also saw the crash on TV and hope that he is doing well.
:)
Excuse my English

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
A letter from Travis's Dad on 7/31/01 (from www.racerxill.com)

Travis' health seems to be the topic of conversation these days, with the most asked question being, "How can Travis' parents let him race after a concussion?" American Suzuki is also concerned. Concerned enough that they called and told Travis after Unadilla - when he still had a 26-point lead in the series - that he could take off as long as he wanted, that the title was not a concern. Debby and I also tell Travis each and every day that winning titles, winning races, or even competing in races is of no concern to us. We, like Suzuki, stand fast in our effort to make Travis aware of each and every danger this sport of ours presents to every rider in the circuit. Travis has friends who have died racing, and he has friends who are paralyzed from racing. These athletes went to the starting line to compete in a sport they love, not knowing that it may be the last time [they race], but knowing all too well the dangers involved. Every time Travis pulls up to a pro starting line I get gut-wrenching pains in my lower chest and a desire to get my son as far away from this sport as possible. Because to be the best at a sport like ours, you have to constantly be on the edge. When you have wheels and a motor under you - the edge is a very dangerous place!

Travis spends an awful lot of Mondays in the doctor's office - always has! Pain and injury are not new to my son. He is currently in a leg brace and shoulder brace from Sunday's race at Washougal. It's Tuesday evening and he's just left 1,000 calories lying in the form of sweat under his Stairmaster and spinning bike. We talked about the X Games in two and a half weeks and his next three pro nationals. A gold medal and the No. 1 plate are the only thoughts he has.

My son is only 17, but he is a seasoned warrior. When I was Travis' age I enlisted in the United States Marine Corps. Because I was only 17, my parents had to sign for me. It was 1967 and Vietnam was in full swing. My dad called me a "damn fool" and my mom cried, but they both signed. I volunteered for Vietnam when I turned 18 and my request was granted. Once again a "Damn fool" and my mom cried some more.

Some are struck down in their prime - some never get a scratch. But the funny thing is that you never know which one you're going to be until it has already happened. I tell my son several times every day how much I love him - not Travis Pastrana the racer, but my son Travis. And he knows that if he walks away from a motorcycle and never looks back, I would love him just as much.

In 2 1/2 weeks, Travis will make his own decision as to whether or not he will compete in the X Games and the last three nationals. His three doctors, from a medical standpoint, say it's his call. From a personal standpoint, they all say, "Why?"

My money says Travis will make the call - I'll call him a damn fool and his mom will cry, and he will go on to take his place among those motocross legends who never let pain or common sense ruin a perfectly good Sunday.

Robert Pastrana

EM rider

Apr 27, 2001
"Travis spends an awful lot of Mondays in the doctor's office - always has! Pain and injury are not new to my son".
==============================================
"My son is only 17, but he is a seasoned warrior. When I was Travis' age I enlisted in the United States Marine Corps".
"My money says Travis will make the call - I'll call him a damn fool and his mom will cry, and he will go on to take his place among those motocross legends who never let pain or common sense ruin a perfectly good Sunday."

Am I the only one that has a creepy feeling after reading this? IMO Pastrana Sr. has a screw loose. One duty of parenthood is to protect your children and offer wise counsel. I don't see much of either here.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
One duty of parenthood is to protect your children and offer wise counsel
True, but it also the duty of a parent to ALLOW their children to grow-up. Making their own decisions (and dealing with the concequences) is part of it. He's nearly 18, can't "protect" him much longer.

In this case, I tend to believe that Suzuki and Roger D. should be the ones to make the call.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by Okiewan
In this case, I tend to believe that Suzuki and Roger D. should be the ones to make the call.
Okie's right. Travis may be able to decide for himself, but this now changes from the parent/child relationship to the employer/employee relationship. Suzuki has a lot of money tied up in TP, so they may just make the call.

SirThumper

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Seems to me, after reading Mr. Pastrana's letter that Travis feels that he will let his fans down "in any event", if he doesn't ride. Any fan that would be let down by him not jumping or racing, knowing the injuries he's had this year, isn't much of a fan really, IMO.

It seems to me that he is not getting this message that we ( as fans ) are conscerned about him making the right decisions. We actually do care about him.

I can, only on a smaller scale, understand what Mr. Pastrana is going through. I watched my 10yr. old race this summer and it scared the tar out of me, I had never seen him ride that fast before. I was short of breath the whole time and at one point was pushing down with both hands when he came by, in an effort to get him to slow down, ( you should have seen the looks I got from other parents ). What TP's parents go through must be very difficult.

I think that if Travis was playing in the NFL he would be on the sideline, no question. How many QB's have went down hill due to concussions?

For his own sake I would like to see him step back and take a breather, I'll be a fan either way.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Sounds like Robert Pastrana definitely does not have his sons interests at heart. You don't have to put your foot down, or ban your son from riding, just sit down with him and give him some good sound advice.

I wonder what his response will be if Travis has a serious accident in the next three weeks, or god forbid kills himself. That it was the kids decision, that this is racing ! - As it is Pastrana is already the National champ, what has he to prove !?

Mind you, he could end up winning the championship, and we will all think him a hero ...... such is life !!!

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Should an exceptionally intelligent, well spoken, talented, mature, etc., etc. seventeen year old with (hopefully only) temporary brain damage be allowed to make potentially life altering (ending) decisions for himself? :think

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
I cant belive the AMA does not have a policy for clearing riders to race like the NFL, FIA, CART..... I know that riders saftey is not is not on the top of the AMAs list but this is a joke. You can not leave this decision up to a team, parrent, or a kid going for a title. What about the guys who TP is racing aginst? How would you like to be Langston or Brown, knowing that one of the fastest guys in the world is coming after you and he is a little dizzy and seeing stars. No one would love to see this three man title race come down to the last moto at Steel City more than me but its time for the AMA to step up and put the riders safety first. In this macho man sport it is hard for TP to save face, if he sits out some people will say he is soft, if he whacks his head agin he could..... I'd rather not think adout the consequences.

Top Bottom