Pastrana, Suzuki, and the X-Games

B

biglou

Re:Tattoos and Piercings

Got some ink myself. Personally, I think some piercings are cool. Always liked nose piercings (Nostrils only. NOT nose rings through the center).Yes, I'm a freak. Just ask my friends.
My position on ME getting pierced? "Accidents not withstanding, Big Lou is going out with the same number of holes he came in with."

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Okay, okay!

:silly:

I guess Freestyle probably isn't as demanding as Motocross. Heck, you can tell by the participants! I dig the Freestyle, and I see where they are coming from (all show, no go), and I even get Deegan's act (someone has to be the bad guy, just like the WWF--ask Ivan :p ).

I also agree with Rich that Travis is this generation's Malcolm Smith, with his "Gee golly this is fun!" attitude, and his love of competition.

BUT . . .

Seems to me that MX would be priority one for this kid. I guess that is the kicker, though, that he is still a KID! In that case, I get it.

(and I used to have long hair and an earring as well :eek: Gave it up for "professional reasons :D)

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Originally posted by firecracker22

And as far as tattoos and piercings, I have both . . . I'll let you all wonder what and where . . . :p [/B]

Thanks for completely de-railing my entire thought pattern for today!;)

yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
The FMX / MX Travis Jeckyll and Hyde . . .

I know it has to be hard for him to juggle at times. But when you are young , you want to do it all. I would rather see him race the nationals no matter how he placed - but I am not a big fan of FMX.:( For me freestyle would hold a MUCH better chance for a concussion and lots of other injuries. Ironically, I think riding some FMX keeps Travis a little more on his game for regluar MX for some weird reason.

But, If Travis, and Suzuki agree on what he is doing, then more power to him. I guarantee you he will come back rested and concussion free next year and if he does not win a national/sx title he has about 12 more competetive years ahead of him.

CRPilot

~SPONSOR~
Apr 5, 2000
Here's a thought I'm surprized that no one has mentioned regarding Decoster and Suzuki. Remember one of the big reasons Honda lost McGrath? They started dictating/limiting what he could do in free time. Maybe Suzuki is a little gun shy that the same could happen with Pastrana if they start taking away things he obviously enjoys.

I also remember reading that Travis pulled off , not becaseu he wasn't fast enough, but because his endurance was poor due to lack of training. He knew he was going to fade in the upcoming laps. FMX simply cannot be compared when speaking of fitness requirements.

Just my thoughts.

John.T

Aug 2, 2001
Nope CrPilot, that's incorrect! MC would not ride the 97 CR250 because he didn't like the motor or the bike, so he kept riding the steel frame, when the rest of the team was on the aluminum, so it eventually turned into a,
either ride the 97 or your off the team and he left, Honda said they could not have their number one rider on a old bike, not selling the new ones! I belive the saying is something like, "what wins on sunday, sells on monday" and you can't sell old bikes on the showroom when you got new ones to sell:D The whole limiting free time was just side stepping, they wanted him to get use to the aluminum he simply kept saying no

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I don't think it was bike so much as Honda wanted to use the "McGrath" image for themselves and no one else, including Jeremy, limiting his earning power. I think if Honda would have backed down, you'd have seen McGrath on an aluminum bike.

CRPilot is correct.

John.T

Aug 2, 2001
No way I got it in writing here from a Magazine from Canada! They said they were not going to pay him to train on the CR (the steel frame) and they were not going to give him bonuses on the Steel CR only on the 97 frame, and that
s when mcgrath said they were abusing him and there power, and they didn't care if he won, and they only wanted him to sell the bike, not win etc( I think they said he lost it when they were doing press photos on the 97 and he did not show up!)... so it basically ended in goodbye mcgrath, or goodbye honda:confused:

Last edited:

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
MC left honda because of his contract not the bike. Honda was p/o'ed over MC doing a nac-nac on a yamaha wave runner in some video. Did'nt MC run a 93 cr in 96?:p

CRPilot

~SPONSOR~
Apr 5, 2000
Both could be partially true, but either way, the risk of Suzuki controling Travis's free time has been demonstrated by McGrath and Honda.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
On the subject of tattoos and piercings...

I know every person has the right to do what they want to their body. However when actors, sports stars and other celebreties get these items there is always the crowd of followers who obviously can't think for themselves.

Case in point. At the grocery store last night I was in the checkout line behind a young mother (around 20) who had a small girl with her. This mother had several tattoos on her arms and legs. Then she pays the cashier with food stamps. Now I have no idea how much a tattoo costs, but what she had did not look cheap or very old. Why someone, who is obviously struggling to get by, would spend that kind of money to "decorate" their body definitely has some screwed up priorities.

Last week, the wife and I went out for dinner. When our waitress came to the table, we could barely understand what she was saying. She then explained that she had just gotten her tongue pierced and the swelling hadn't gone down. That mental image made both of us lose our appetite. We got up and walked out. I hope that job isn't her only source of income.

Flame away!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
However when actors, sports stars and other celebreties get these items there is always the crowd of followers who obviously can't think for themselves.
You hurt my peelings. And on my birthday too. Sheez.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Sorry Okie... next time you can tease me about the hole in my ear. My home piercing at 16 became infected and never healed over

BTW - Happy B-Day... make sure to put on the sunglasses before Scooter brings out the cake. :cool: ;)

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
Woods rider,

you make a good point. The son of a lady who works for me here is living on his own and just got himself a lady friend. The dude is calling for money constantly. Last time he called here he needed $50 for food. She saw them a month later, and the happy couple had just spent their last $120 on matching tatoo's... Mom was not impressed with his jusgement... Nothing against tatoo's, this is more a dig on stupidity and priorities.

Back to the topic of this thread, Pastrana seems to be sucking it up in the big trick contest. I think we've finally seen the end of his bag of tricks. Which is probably okay with me, I'd like to see him have a long and glorius motocross carrer more than kill himself trying to win an x-games medal for having the biggest gonads, not the most talent. I was to young to appreciate Roger Decoster 'in the day' so I'm gonna enjoy RC and Travis now that they are here. :)

You guys dig on the way the 'OX's' visor exploded when he augered in. :scream:

Maybe the x-games are better than you think for keeping people from doing stupid stunts, rather than encouraging it. You watch enough guys pull a 100 foot gap and pretty soon your thinking to yourself... HMMM :think (4th wide and hang on) I can do that. NOW,You see these guys breaking bones and actually suffering, and that nips it in the bud for me.

It's like watching COPS on TV. I watch it with my kids (laughing at the stupity of the alleged criminals) and I think it soaks in. 1) You CAN'T ever win if you try and outrun the police, so don't try. 2) Always where a shirt, it's the shirtless guys that always end up in handcuffs...

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by JPIVEY

I agree Adoptante had the best trick but, Travis linked his routine a lot tighter than any other rider, best use of time and layout= more stunts

Travis uses his racing ability to FLY around the FMX track. I bet he is able to pull 3-4 more tricks than the other guys that put around and take too long to set up each hit.

BTW - The punk Deegan shows everyone what he really is, a LOSER.

John.T

Aug 2, 2001
A fox tatoo!!! Oh man so many people and this fox thing!!! People even wear it that think a dirtbike is a muddy huffy!!! I think that this may be the equivalent to someone getting a 80's metal tattoo;) Is WAS cool at one time, but not everything lasts!

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
JohnT. i saw a lady with a Shift tat on her arm, when we got off the train her partner was there to meet her, and he was dressing in Shift gear looking ready to race!! Oh well each to there own i guess.
As for Psatrana, what looks better and could get more sales quickly?? X-games or the nationals?? Well maybe not sales but more exposure at least via x-games, well thats how i see it. Is he and the team showing that the 125 title does not mean all that much to them?? After those crashes he has had this season i think its only best for him to take ther rest of the season off, or at least more of a break than he did have and try to come back for the final round/rounds.

John.T

Aug 2, 2001
Oh yah for sure to each there own, if truespode's wife and truespode like fox then go NUTS! I really hope they both like it! I would not mind the fleshgear logo tatoo! that would be sweet (the f in the shield logo of course) but it kinda looks like the firestone logo, and with all the tires blown up lately, :scream:
Now truespode you better get send a pic to fox and tell them to pay for the tat. and ask them for free gear!But seriously give it a try, I gurantee they will give you something free!

John.T

Aug 2, 2001
heh heh poor truespode!!!
I can see the Memo on the check to Truespode from FOX
"paying that fat guy off not to embaress us"
sorry t.s:p

cr125_king

Apr 2, 2001
Backstreet Boys

:scream: :scream: wearing Fox :scream: .
Originally posted by Truespode
LOL!!!

My wife didn't even realize that FOX was so mainstream. She saw the logo on the Backstreet boys and never really noticed it.

Top Bottom