Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I am interested in a cell phone solution for use in the USA. I drive down to Indiana multiple times a month and have a cell phone already from a Canadian provider however the cost to use it in the USA is anywhere from $2.15 a minute and up :yikes: . I want my family to be able to contact me or vice versa and a few of my friends when I'm on the road without it breaking the bank. Right now I communicate via text message as this is free to receive and only 40 cents to send a US based text message, but this can be a challenge while navigating through the Illinois tollways around Chicago with a 44 foot 5th wheel or 40 Travel trailer on the back of the truck.

I thought a US based pay as you go setup may be a solution. Are these phones set to a home network or can they be used without extra fee's in any part of the USA? I'm looking for a phone that can be used from Pembina, ND to Goshen, IN for a reasonable per minute charge. Also can you supply your own phone for most of these plans? I have a few GSM phones here that I could simply toss their sim card into to save having to buy a phone with the minutes.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
Where is your cell phone through. I had one through Cellular One (same as Cingular I believe) and they can throw some minutes on your other phones. You need to have like a minimum of $10 a month or something. I'm pretty sure that Verizon offers something similar. Unless you get a Verizon plan, in which case it would be free from one Verizon phone to another. Seems that may work to get out of fees. Or maybe the Nextel walkie-talkie feature. I'm not sure how it may work to Canada, but there has to be some way. Good luck!!!

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
My phone is with Rogers in Canada. Rogers charges me .25 per minute for USA roaming charge but then you are paying whatever the US network you happen to be on feels like charging for their service on top of that. Just looked at my bill and the $2.15 was wrong the least I ever pay for a minute in the USA is $1.20 per minute (.95 per minute for US carrier and .25 a minute to Rogers), though some carriers are much higher than the .95 per minute fee.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Looking online at the Net10 thing it seems to be exactly what I am looking for and they offer them at Wal-marts etc so I may stop by and have a peek at them on the way down. I just want something so that when Char and Troy call to check in on me it's not costing a fortune. Or when my buddy from WI calls to chat at 5:45 in the morning it doesn't break the bank :laugh:

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Chili said:
. Or when my buddy from WI calls to chat at 5:45 in the morning it doesn't break the bank :laugh:
OOOppps sorry about that :bang:

If you don't get a chance we can run in tommorow night after dinner it is only 20 minutes to a couple stores that have it

Top Bottom