nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
Cash only! Had a friend get burned by a manager at a lexus dealer. He purchased my friends car with a cheque. Friend gave the guy the title. The Guy put a stop payment on the cheque then skipped town. There was nothing he could do except to sue the guy if he could find him.

Your a lazy ******* if you cant stop by a bank and get cash anyway.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
nsxxtreme said:
Your a lazy ******* if you cant stop by a bank and get cash anyway.
Now, if I live (and bank) in NC, but find a good deal while vacationing in Fl, am I still lazy for not driving all the way back to my bank in NC to get cash?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
FruDaddy said:
Now, if I live (and bank) in NC, but find a good deal while vacationing in Fl, am I still lazy for not driving all the way back to my bank in NC to get cash?
most banks have branches in several states, no?

ryankdx12

Jul 12, 2007
FruDaddy said:

Well...if you were asking me I'd apply the bank standard here.
If... you can drive to a local bank, and they will cash your check from out of state, nope, you aren't lazy. ;)

But, if they WON'T take your check, with all the electronic banking protections behind them, why should some guy let you walk off with his bike across state lines?

Same lazy rule/good faith rule applies. If your are energized enough to get some cash from a local bank, and they have enough faith that your check is good, then go for it and leave the poor guy with the bike out of it.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
XRpredator said:
most banks have branches in several states, no?
Most, but not all. One of my credit unions operates exclusively out of 2 branch offices in NW GA, the other doesn't exist in GA. Of course, there are also the online only banking options, where the only way to get cash is from an ATM. And there are limits on the amount that you can withdraw from the ATM per day.

With the thought of just walking into a bank and writing a check, good luck with that, I don't know of a single financial institution that will cash a check for you if you don't have an account with them unless the check is written on their bank. Their policy is pretty simple, either they know it's good, because it's coming from an account in their bank, or they know that they can get it back because it's going into an account in their bank.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
It’s kind of a judgement call too.

If a Dad and his wide eyed son show up and then return with a certified check to buy the bike, then my guess is that it’s real.

On the other hand, if a suspiciously attractive, scantily clad lady shows up with a certified check and stands at my garage door, smiling and waving the check in front of her face, I might get a little suspicious. But I hope she shows up someday anyway.

I wouldn’t care if someone arrived with a halo over their head and a gaggle of disciples - I wouldn’t take his personal check.

Cash has it’s drawbacks too. My last used bike (street bike) was purchased from a private owner in Hesperia. I figured I’d arrive with a roll of well used bills and get a good deal, so off to the bank I went and got the wad. On the way there, I starting thinking, “What if the police stop me for speeding and find this roll of money – they’ll think I’m a crack dealer or something”. So I stuck to the speed limit. When I got there, we haggled down to about 200 bucks difference, but the guy wouldn’t let it go (it didn’t make any difference to him cash or not). Said he had another guy lined up anyway. So now I’m heading home and I need to find a safe spot at the house to hide this roll. I finally found a place that no one would find it until they tear the house down in 2112. I figure that by 2112, this little roll of money wouldn’t even buy a loaf of bread, so who cares.

The other buyer flaked, so I went back to Hesperia with my hot little roll of money and we came within 100$ of a deal. The guy wouldn’t budge. I was tired of stowing this money around, so I gave in and deal was closed.

The guy was counting the money and sweating – clearly nervous, and he says, “Hey , ya know, you could have paid me by certified check”.

Doh.

Top Bottom