firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
No, the #1 that it came with is too stiff. We can't get the sag set right and the rear end feels like it's got a solid bar back there, not a spring. It doesn't move at all in corners. I weigh 135~ish. I ride tight woods and am a novice/beginner skill level. I want a lighter spring. Race Tech doesn't make one.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Lori, do you know if they used a straight or progressive spring? That is my current question—I don’t know which would work better. The only progressive spring that is lighter than what’s in there is the PDS 0 and I was told the standard springs will give a harsher ride in the linkless rear suspension on the KTM.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Sharla, Jeremy used the stock PDS #1 spring from my bike. I asked about changing it, but he felt confident that he could make the stock work for me. Give him a call. He won't bite. ;)

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
FC22, Whatever rate you settle on, in your case I would suggest a progressive rate spring, it'll be a little softer than a straight rate, in the initial part of the stroke.

SlowJack

Jul 27, 2000
At 135 pounds, yes, you probably WILL need the PDS #0. After you progress in your riding a bit, you may want to move back to the #1, but in the meantime you can tune your ride in with the clickers. However, if you lighten the rear spring, you will probably find it necessary to lighten the front springs also, otherwise you risk having the front and rear working against each other instead of with each other. Same holds true for adjusting your compression and rebound damping. If one end is too hard, it has a tendency to just throw the load to the other end, and you end up riding a "hobby horse".

SlowJack

stef

May 3, 2001
ktm specs a PDS 0 as 6.5 to 8.3 kg/mm. the pds 1 is specced at 7.0 to 9.0 kg/mm .the new 265mm spring equivalent for the pds 0 is pds 5 with a rate of 6.6 to 8.6 kg/mm. these springs should be available. I have a straight rate 7.2kg/mm that i am not using if you are interested

EZ

Jul 18, 2001
mountianrider is "135ish" also and on a 2001 200EXC. 4 him the rear sag indicated the the rear spring was slightly heavy, but he's an aggressive rider, so he's ok with that.It did seem out of balance though when he first got it.He seems to be getting it in the ballpark now.What worked for him was heavier fork springs (42's,I think,) with,I think,alot less fork compression and a little less fork fork rebound,a little less compression damping on the rear and alot less rebound.He dropped the front slightly by raising the forks in the clamps just a bit to gain his turning back.What I'm getting at is,dropping U're rear spring rate might actually balance the bike out and make it easier to ride.Yeah,I think that 4 U're weight,dropping the rear rate will make the bike easier to ride 4 a newer/less aggressive rider,but I don't think U'll need to change ft springs.

Sorry to be so long winded and general.If U want/need his sag figures or clicker positions,he or I will supply,just ask.As I said,his is working pretty good now.

shaggy829

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2001
FIRE CRACKER 22
A straight rate spring typicly won't let the rear drop down into the harsher
position of the the pds piston system .
just of the top of my head i was thinking .37/ 7.0straight spring.:) :)

Top Bottom