enduro_tree

Nov 6, 2007
I'm picking up a family member's 80-ish (not sure exact year model, 80 or 81) PE175 thats been stored for about 6 years, it was probably put up wet. The only known problem right now is a cracked magneto cover. Bike was shutdown immediately after damage to cover. I did a little searching on this forum for a generic 2-stroke revival thread but found little (could be op error using the search tool). What steps would you take to evaluate the condition/health of this engine? Planning to do a visual inspection of any obviously missing parts/leaks then pour a little 2stroke oil in the cyl and carefully try to stroke the piston. Check for spark then add clean fuel/oil to a cleaned tank and start cranking. Sound reasonable?

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2007
With my 79 IT175 i rebuilt the engine from ground up replacing all the seals, gaskets, bearings, and worn out parts. I also replaced all the carb parts and boots going from the air box to the carb and the carb to the reeds. Also, good idea to replace the reeds as well.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I'd do the visual inspection, clean out the tank and carburetor, then put back together and give it a go. But I really would take the carb apart and clean it. It only takes about 15 minutes and $1 worth of carburetor cleaner and air. Most of your problems starting/running are going to be in the carb from sitting that long.

zig06

Oct 4, 2007
Yup, change the trans oil, clean out the carb, install a new plug and fresh gas and try to start it.

The cracked mag cover won't hurt anything, but it will let water in and ruin the ignition, so don't ride it like that.

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
I think the search for "restore" would produce more results than "revival". Cleaning the carb will likely entail clearing out plugged passages. Especially the main jet. After 6 years you may find some solidified oil/gas in these that spray cleaner just won't move. May need to use a toothpick or similar. zig's suggestion will do until you decide if you're keeping it long, then think about a more thourogh tear-down/rebuild. Do inspect the rubber before/after carb for cracks, those can cause bad problems.
Roger#491

Isobareng

Oct 16, 2007
The brass jets once removed from your carb can be cleaned in muratic acid from a pool supply store but DO NOT let the acid touch any of the aluminum portion of your carb. this acid does a great job of clearing brass jets that have solidified fuel in them

D

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I've also had to take the wire out of bread twisties and used that to help get gunk out of clogged jets I've soaked. Make sure the jets are NOT in the carb if you do this.

zig06

Oct 4, 2007
I personally have always liked to start up and ride a new project bike like this before I rebuild it. That way I have more of an idea of what I need to do when I do tear it down.

Sometimes it's really hard to rate the condition of a shock or ignition, or even a clutch and brakes with out actually running and riding the bike.

Top Bottom