gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Anyone going? It's in western Ohio.

This will be my first enduro, my first off-road event in oh.... 26 yrs or so. I'm certainly excited!

danielst

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 20, 2002
I'll be there. I ride a YZ250 with the number 56 on it.

The trail there is great, but...

Be prepared for some of the deepest mudholes you've ever seen... before hitting any of the big holes, take a second to choose your line carefully. It's not uncommon to see bikes buried almost handlebar deep in some of them. Also, we will probably be running the swamp again this year... you'll know it when you see it, it is right off the side of a paved road, there will be a large crowd there as well. The crowds are usually pretty good about pointing you in a good direction in the bad holes so it is usually wise to heed their advice.

Good luck!

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
A pal of mine is involved in the organization of the ride. He's got me starting on minute 35. There probably won't be a good line left by the time I get there. :whiner:

I have a KX500 (w/no lights) and a chrome w/orange flamed helmet. No number until the event.

labby9

Sep 25, 2001
I've always found at Greenville it works best to ride where the crowd is standing. Sometimes you get directed into the septic tank just so folks can watch you sink!!

There's an ongoing joke in D11 that Greenville is the last enduro of the year, because it takes the entire Winter to replace your bearings and rebuild your bike.

My son and I will be there on an EARLY minute. We will be riding KTM 200's with Plessinger Cycles on them. Should be fun.

By the way, Greenville was the first enduro I ever rode (1982). I made it to the 2nd check and houred out. I won the 200B class. In all fairness it had been raining for 4 straight days before the event.

Have fun,
Wayne

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I've always found at Greenville it works best to ride where the crowd is standing.

:)

I've stood around some mud holes and noticed the same. Plus it's gotta be fun to watch them scatter! :eek:

jssport

Feb 20, 2003
I got my bike all prepped,..

I got a new roll-off goggles and set of thermal paws gloves. I sprayed my pants with a water repellant spray.

I'll have some dry clothes at the gas stop.

My goal is to finish the enduro, not to hour out.

I'm ready to get cold and wet.

Let's have fun Crim

JimS

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
There's an ongoing joke in D11 that Greenville is the last enduro of the year, because it takes the entire Winter to replace your bearings and rebuild your bike.

Lemme hear a big Amen!

That was one tough mutha. I houred out at the third check. :whiner:

labby9

Sep 25, 2001
Hang in there Crim. Greenville is a tough enduro to start the sport with. Beleive it or not yesterday was one of the easier Greenville enduro's, considering the rain.

You're a heck of a lot more man than I am, riding Greenville on a KX500. My son and I rode KTM 200's. My son won the Overall "B" trophy he dropped 36 points. I finished 4th in the SR B class. I AM SORE TODAY.

Good luck,
Wayne

rda

Jun 20, 2000
I don't know, I thought that was up in the top 5 of bad greenvilles. I may have skewed results though as I am still getting used to a new bike. Plus I made a bad decision and put a new tire on the rear, a brand I have never ran before. It was a pos. don't ever buy a kenda millville. It did ok getting me through the holes, but it wouldn't track straight anywhere else.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
36 points! DANG! :thumb: Just finishing that thing is an accomplishment.

I'm kinda sore but no more than after a good afternoon skiing. I do plan on taking the afternoon off to clean up my bike. Then there's the clutch. It was slipping extremely bad on the ride to the Club House. Oh and I need a new set of handlebars too.

Yeah.... good thing I have all winter.

jssport

Feb 20, 2003
Congrats to both you and your son Wayne, just to finish was an accomplishment.

I died out on the trial,. got stuck several times early, eaxhausted myself trying to get unstuck, I hour'ed out early, attrition was high. What a ball buster.

mmuzzillo

May 15, 2002
I rode yesterday too. Early minute...I think thats best at Greenville....
This was my 2nd time to ride there. Last year I didn't finish, so this year my goal was to finish it. I houred out at the 2nd to last check, but continued on, and at least finished it.

I guess next year my goal will be to not hour out!

Any one know where I can find all the results of the race?
Is it posted on a web site somewhere?

danielst

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 20, 2002
I actually thought is was one of the easier Greenville runs as well. They routed out several of the really bad spots, including the big swamp. Several of the woods sections were actually pretty dry. However, my opinion on hard enduros has been skewed by this past seasons D11 enduro survival fests. I ended up dropping 50 yesterday as my bike vaporlocked 3 times in the final section costing me probably an extra 6 to 8 points. Found out later that the entire carb was packed into a solid mud pie and all of the vent hoses were clogged. Actually, now that I think about it, it must've been less muddy than normal as I didn't use the whole $10 roll of quarters at the car wash this year...

Hopefully we get a nice dry enduro season next year as this one has been as rainy as any racing season I can remember.

rda

Jun 20, 2000
yes danst, the southern rides are definately worse, mainly because of all the huge rocky hills covered in slime. I know it hasn't been that bad for the last 2 years though. Especially 2 years ago, that was a drought year, the swamps were almost dry. I finished but houred out by about 5 minutes at the last check. My gas crew wasn't at the availible and I ran out of gas, luckily, I had a quart with me that got me to the end. I probably wouldn't have houred out it not for that though.

my day went downhill when the mist started. almost everyone took their goggles off, but I have always refused to do this and would rather stop and clean them off when needed and place poorly then take a chance on putting an eye out. I used to have roll offs but they only lasted about a half a ride before a branch would break the film. do the tear offs work very well?

danielst

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 20, 2002
I agree about the goggles... yesterday, I changed goggles six times. I rode without them a few times and am still cleaning the crud out of my eyes as of this evening. After the third pair, I told the crew to take the roll off tape out of all of them as they seemed to work better without film. (Mine kept getting moisture behind the film and clouding up). I have tried the tear-offs and didn't care too much for them. They work ok but I always had problems with tearing off more than one and being out of them in short order. I sometimes will tape one tear off onto my roll offs and use it until it's shot then tear it off. It sometimes makes the goggles last quite a bit longer during a run.

Your right about 2 years ago, now that I think about it, it was pretty dry. I didn't ride it last year but was told it wasn't so much the mud but how cold it was. What minute did you ride on? I rode on 31 but got by alot of guys at the nasty deep creek crossing and the course wasn't as tore up for the rest of the way. I heard that the late minutes were real tough.

rda

Jun 20, 2000
i was on 11. I am not a very good rut rider and there were so many they wore me out. I was so tire at one point i stopped in the woods for about 5 minutes to catch my breath. I am sure you got around me at some point.

What kind of front tire do you run? I have been using s12's for years. I just bought my present bike (ktm 525) the bridgestone that was on it didn't feel to great, so I put a used s12 on before the race. I think it was actually worse. Must be the extra 4 stroke push. As I said earlier, the back tire was definately a piece of crap. I will be putting a s12 back on there.

What kind of bike are you riding?

danielst

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 20, 2002
I rode with a new S12 front and a 1 race on it S12 on the rear. I ride an '04 YZ250. I love the Michelin tires and always use an S12 rear. I switch between the M12 and S12 on the front depending on conditions. I'm told that Maxxis has a new soft terrain front tire coming out that is awesome. I don't know what the model number is yet but keep an eye out as it may be something worth trying out.

I can imagine that a 525 would wear a person out in those ruts, they were pretty bad. I know in a few of the woods sections, it seemed like one continuous rut.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
The ruts didn't bother me that much. But the fallen trees (all two billion of them) and the ultra-tight zig-zags did in my clutch and my resolve.

My rear tire was a bit marginal to begin with. Heck there were times it felt like I was riding on ice. Those mud holes were something else. I've never seen that much mud. (Yeah, I know... this was an easy one too.)

Got the bike cleaned up yesterday. Need a new clutch, handle bars (nice face plant over a double log crossing), rear tire, sprockets and chain.

And to think we do this for fun! :ugg:

labby9

Sep 25, 2001
Crim,

Consider yourself lucky. Back in 86' I rode Greenville on a nice shiny new Husky 400WRX. I was hauling butt down by the creek bank and I hit a badly placed log. Next thing you know the Husky was baptised up to the handlebars and I was trying to come up for air.

Try as I might I could not get the bike back up on the creek bank. The creek was about 3-4 feet deep where I went in, with a 4 foot bank. I had to walk back to the last check and ask the club members for help. We finally got the Husky out 2 hours later. Oh yea, did I mention the temp was about 35 degrees.

Every bearing in that bike was toast from the silty creek. I had to split the cases and rebuild the crank as well. Needless to say that was one very expensive enduro. Husky parts wrote the book on being pricey. From the looks of the clubgrounds after the race (this year) lots of folks were going to be buying plastic and tires very soon.

Try it again next year,

Wayne

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Deja vu! As I rode by one creek there was a KTM lodged near the opposite bank. No rider in sight. Water half way up the tank.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I heard that the podium was occupied by a couple of Michigan riders.  Michael Keen won the overall and Alan Randt was third (first in the Senior A class :confused: ).  Unfortunately, they did not win the team trophy as their third member took third in his class (6th overall).  Sounds like they had a good time and will make a return trip next year.

Top Bottom