CR_Dave

Sponsoring Member
Mar 3, 2000
I am looking for some people that have unfortunately encountered the injuries I now have to figure out recovery expectations.

Background. Last Sunday came up short on a double during practice at a race. I felt my abdomen hit the tank and chest hit the bars. It sounded like a bag of ice rupturing inside. I do not think I lost consciousness.

Fast forward. After being taken to a local ER room, I was Lifeflighted to a trauma unit in Pittsburgh (Presby). The main concern was pelvic injury and bladder problems.

Ended up:

1. Broken wrist, multiple breaks -- have a cast just past elbow.

2. A few broken ribs

3. Pelvic Fracture - Distasis(sp?). apparently this happens to womenwhen delivering a child, it is a separtion of the bones in the pelvic area.

4. Bladder was bleeding, but has stopped.

With all of this, there is to be no weight bearing on the the legs for 5-8 weeks!! and then rehab.

Anyone here have this pelvic injury before or can give me an idea of what to expect? Right now, nothing requires surgury.

Pele

Jul 7, 2007
My grandpap broke his hip when he was in his 40's and never walked the same again. But you have to remember that he was fixed in the 70's when the medical advances of today were not present. I know that he went through a lot of rehab and a lot of painful nights until he was healed up. I remember him not being able to carry us kids around when we were small because it would bother his hips/pelvis.

I live south of pittsburgh maybe we can meet up some time. I work in Washington DC but I come home every once in a while. My prayers are with you bud.

Aryain

!!!!!!
~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2007
My grandma actually broke her pelvis falling off of her scooter about 2 or 3 years ago. I'm pretty sure her case was not near as bad as yours, but she was about 70 when it happened. Well... While she was in the hospital and recovering she had a little motto: "Gotta fix my Pelvis, so I can dance like Elvis." :coocoo:

Anyways, today, her pelvis is healed and she CAN still dance and walk perfectly normal.

With todays medical advances, I'm sure they'll have you fixed up back to normal or as close as possible. Just definitely listen to the doctors, even if you feel like you can get up after 3 weeks, don't do it.

Pele

Jul 7, 2007
I would agree with aryain. It just goes to show you what 30 years of medical break throughs and procedures can do to improve such a tramatic break. Good luck:)

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Ouch, sorry to hear about the crash, hope you heal up fast and well. As far as the Pelvic fracture, I fractured mine playing hockey years ago and other than some occasional sharp pains with the wrong movement immediately post fracture I have not had any longterm issues.

sigurd

Jun 24, 2007
Aryain I like your Grandma's attitude! ;)

CR_Dave very ver sorry to hear of your injuries. Very scary stuff. I hope since you are able to get on the computer your head is okay? What sort of protective gear were you wearing? Please take your time healing up. Time is your friend in these matters.

CR_Dave

Sponsoring Member
Mar 3, 2000
I was in full gear, including knee braces. I will admit that I did not have a chest protector on since the terrain was not rocky. That may have helped the rib fractures. I have made the chouce not to wear it since every other crash over the bars with it have resulted in a collar bone injury.

My judgement should be re-evaluated with the chest protector -- i know.

I am not sure what would have protected the pelvic area. It was basically my crotch slamming into the gas cap and tank.

As far as medical advances go, may not really apply since there is no surgery required. The rehab techniques are probably better.

I know this sounds like an old folks injury. I seem to find on the internet that 8% of all dirt bike injuries involve pelvic injuries. Seems like a lot.

K

kylee

Not an old folks injury at all. Very painful injury which all of us shudder at. Doubtful the chest protector would have helped your pelvis, for sure. I'm not sure about collar bone injuries and chest protectors. Ribs for sure. My own experience has been that the chest protector save me more than once from handle bars tapping on my collar bone. Am I just lucky about that? Is it because I wear mine a little big?

I'm glad you require no surgery. (Did you get more than one opinion on that/do you trust that opinion/is there any reason to get a second opinion?)

Please get well soon. Books and movies are your friends!!

Top Bottom