LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Originally posted by jmics19067: "most drivers are idiots anymore I beleive."

i'll agree.
i notice your from Pa. though.
so am i originally.
then i moved out west.
trust me, Pa.'s not that bad. I live in SanJuan county NM, and have been told by several insurance agencys that this is the worst county in the worst state for auto accidents......... :eek: .........figures, eh? my good luck.
Ive had more close calls in the last couple years than in my whole life!
Even OFFROAD.
Similar situation to the other stories except on dirt road.
Guy in a toyota p-up looks right at me, as i'm slowing down to let him go.
He just sits there, so i gas it a bit and THATS when he decides to take off.
Had to squeeze between his truck and a 4 foot dropoff.
How close was it??
I could feel Flash's rear turnsignal click off the side of his front fender.
Too close for me. Guy's lucky i didnt have a pistol. :|

XR400RMan

Dec 11, 2000
Yeah my friend at work has a yamaha 600 sport bike and he said he was driving down the highway with his light on and he was in the very right lane and there was a car behind him in the lane to his left,He said the speed limit was 45mph and he was doing 50 and the car comes up beside him and gets a little bit past him and then cut in front of him and the back of the guys car hit the front of his bike and threw him off, He had all the gear on and hurt his arm really bad and that was it but it could have been so much worse, Matt

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
[QUOTE
I still swear they shoudl take out the seat belts and air bags out of the cars and even possibly make the driver of the car sitout on the front bumper of the car like some Aztec sacrifice. [/QUOTE]

I like the way you think

:p

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Wraith.

One time many years ago, (dang, why do most of my posts start out this way?) I was on my way to work on my street bike. It had just rained and the streets were still wet. I came over a set of railroad tracks and there was this woman sitting at a side street stop sign, just beyond the railroad tracks.

I looked right at her and I thought she looked right at me. She started to pull out in front of me and then saw me. Then she stopped right in the middle of my lane. :scream:

I dropped the bike and slid right up to her car. Actually, my rear wheel ended up under her car. When everything stopped, I stood up, pulled my bike from underneath her car and looked right at her in amazement. At that time I was about two feet from her, face to face.

Believe it or not, she drove away and left me standing there in the middle of the street. I was completly dumbfounded standing there in my shreaded levis. I was pretty skinned up and so was my bike, but it taught me NEVER to trust a car driver.

KW's tips are excellent. The only thing that I could add is, always look for a way out or an escape route. Be aware of what is around you and behind you at all times. When approaching a car, think to yourself. What would I do if that car pulled in front of me? Where would I go?

When sitting a a light, watch your mirrors for cars that may not stop behind you and there again, have an escape route planned out. If there is a car stopped in front of you, stay on one side or the other in case you have to move out of the way for a car that may not stop behind you. Never, allow yourself to be 'blocked in' by other cars around or in front of you.

If you think this way with EVERY vehicle around you, then you will already have your escape route planned out before something happens. They do not seem to see us even when they are looking right at us. :eek:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i should have my street bike going again this week.

it's been nice knowing you guys...

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
I have owned one street bike in my life. I had an old lady in a big buick wagon run into the back of me while I was stoped at a light. I was ten vehicles back from the light. I had my brake light on and wind scren up looking around and BAM!!!!! She had me pined between her buick and the spare tire of the bronco in front of me. If she was going five mph faster she might have killed me. I love street bikes but I will not ride one on the road, people just don't see you. If I ever get another street bike it will only see the track.

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
I agree with KWJams. I have been riding everyday to work for the last 6 years and have never had an accident. Yeah, I've definately had some close calls, but I think it comes down to rider knowledge and safety, and always looking out for potential problems.

I see a lot of fools on bikes who would have no chance of getting them selves out of a dangerous situation if it occurred. I think speed, poor rode position, no headlight (even during the day), common sense, and lack of awaeness of those around you is what helps contribute to accidents.

I love riding, and I won't let a few near misses put me off. If I do have an accident (and survive), that will be the day I ponder whether my love of riding is worth the risk.

Wraith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
For sure. I agree with KWJams as well Grinch. There are alot of newbies out there who get Gixers, RRs', and so on. Who have little of No riding experience. And one of the main reasons they get one is to ride around in town, get some girls (nothing wrong there ;) ) and do some tricks.

But it just gets to me. Seeing people every day, day in and day out. Pay no respect to bikes. I kid you not. Between the 4 of us that ride together. We have over 100K (combined) in experience, and each one of us has been riding street for no less than 6 years.

But all the classes, looking for the problems or what not. Does not help those idiots who are just plain unaware that a bike is a motor vehicle and has to be treated as one. Any more, when were on our favorite twisties. I ride in the passenger tire path on the curves because there is always some car hugging or straddling the yellow.

I could go on and on. I mean dam, we ALL could. But people need to start treating bikes as motor vehicles and give them some respect. Granted, alot of them do. But we all know what happens when those that don't, do!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Never let yourself get in them situations.
KWJams, right on the money. I've had the exact same scenerio happen ot me. I would like to add one tip, If you are making a left turn on a streetbike in traffic, time your turn by slowing down early but do NOT come to a complete stop on the roadway. The small amount of momentum helps you make the turn quickly when the traffic allows and as long as you are moving, the traffic behind you is less likely to pass you on the left. Ride like you are invisible because to most other drivers, you are.

Howser03

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
"There are alot of newbies out there who get Gixers, RRs', and so on. Who have little of No riding experience" -Wraith

My one friend who has a rich father (so he gets whatever he wants) after seeing me ride around on my little KZ 440 goes "You know, I wanna get a bike" Now this kid has only ridden a moped in his life, never a dirt bike and I never even saw him ride a bicycle. I thought it would be cool to finally have a riding partner. I say "Really, sweet... what kind?" ....... you ready for his answer....... "Well, I've been thinking about an R1 " :)

Wraith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Originally posted by Howser03
[B "Well, I've been thinking about an R1 " :) [/B]

This is where WE need to tell these poeple why they need to look at other bikes, if they want to ride. And I'm sure you've probably done this with your friend. I mean, even your KZ can get you into trouble.

I hate to think of it.
R1+
3rd gear at 7,000 RPM+
5000 more in the RPM to go+
newbie=
:scream:

But it happens to the best of us.
I've always heard there are 3 types of riders
1. Those that haven't been down yet.
2. Those that have been down.
3. Those that are going to go down again. :think:

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
Back in 1991, my older sister who was living in Denver parked her car and was standing at a cross walk waiting to cross the street to go to work at 8:00 AM.
The light for crossing lit up and she started crossing the street.
Suddenly a guy in a Jeep CJ with a lift kit made a right hand turn at the stop light and ran her over. :|
She surrvived with a shattered leg, broken pelvis and ruptured spleen. Years of rehab and a leg brace she gets along pretty good now.

The driver was sited for failure to yeild to a pedestrian. :think:

He told the Police officer that he just did not see her! :|

The sad thing about was he did not even stop when his Jeep lurched up in the air as it ran over her body.
A passerby had to run out in front of him waving his arms to get him to stop after dragging her for 30 feet!

In other words, it is just not motorcyclists that are invisible. :(

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
I have had this idea for a bumper sticker for years to promote motorcycle safety awareness.
It has a catchey theme that will make folks think about it all day and stick in their heads like a bad song. ;)

Take a second look -- twice!
See who else shares the road.

And have a picture of a motorcycle rider on it. :cool:

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
A little O.T. but............
I find it sort of amusing that here in N.M. auto. seat belt laws are stricktly enforced.
But there is NO motorcycle helmet law......... :think:
So you can get "pinched" if you are in your F250super duty truck (airbag equipped) wo your belt on, but its o.k. to be cruising down the freeway at 70+ mph -w-your bare noggin' out in the breeze on your "hawg". :uh:
Our laws are pretty funky sometimes doncha think??????

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
Perhaps if everyone would have organized and protested the law before the fact then adults would now have the right to decide when to wear a seat belt.
I wear my seat belt when I am on a road with speed limit above 30mph and any time there are kids in the truck.

"There is no unjustice done to those who consent."

jwabram

Spammer
May 17, 2002
The older street riders probably already know this, so here is some advice for the younger guys thinking about getting on the street.

Always watch everthing that is going on around you. Don't ride under the influence of anything, including emotions. If your upset about something or have any type of emotional distraction, don't go on the street. You have to be sharp at all times. Remember that bikes slow down (compared to a car) extremely fast just by releasing the throttle. I get in the habit of clicking my front brake so my brake light goes on even if I'm not directly applying the brakes. This leads to paying attention not only to what's in front of you, but behind you as well. You can stop a street bike on a dime if your good enough. The car behind you cannot. Breaking is awesome, but counter-steering and hp can be extremely effective too.

Always down shift when coming to a stop so you have the rpms necessary for a speedy getaway incase of trouble. Like that semi that is smoking his breaks behind you trying to get stopped.

If you're in traffic, don't cruise evenly with a car to your left or your right. They'll pull right into you and you don't stand a chance on two wheels.

There's probably a whole lot I'm leaving out, so here it all is in a nutshell. Use common sense and ride smart. Drive within your abilities. Don't let your buddy get you into a situation where he has to visit you in the cemetary.

Driving street may not sound like much fun, but it can be and everything I'm talking about becomes second nature in time.

By the way, myself and my buddies think the best street riders are guys who ride MX. The guys that try to get their adrenaline rush on the street die.

Top Bottom