dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
I think we've seen the last 'Old School LB' style in Bill Romanowski. Like him or not, he made a huge impact in the AFC during his 'prime.' The fact that he's retiring a Raider isn't such a bad thing either. :)

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
I don't think roided' out of his skull consitutes "old school". Czonka, Hamm or any number of other natural animals would break that guy in half just b/c romo pissed em off w/ his overly pronounced roid' forehead. Yeah he played old school, but that does NOT make him old school...I'd say he fits right in w/ the last two decades of better football through chemistry. Sorry D.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
You don't need to apologize for my opinion. I wasn't referring to the juice. I'd be on crack if I said there are no 'roids in the NFL. I was referring to the 'take out the QB' style that LBs were notorious for...

...'Old School LB' style in Bill Romanowski...
I said nothing about him being an over all old schooler.

On a side note: I'd really like to know how a thread about picking playoff teams ended up as a roid conversation. Damn the evolution of conversation. :)

Last edited:

Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
Darn, Lou's chefs let me down they couldn't step up to the plate and beat the Vikings. Now, I have to hope that sorry excuse for a team Cardinals can beat them, but not very likely. It looks like my Packers are going to have to settle for a wild card after they beat the Raiders Mon. and knock the Broncos out next week. :ugg:  They'll only have to play the Vikings or Carolina so it should be a winable game for them. I'm just bummed I won't being seeing a playoff game at Green Bay but then again that didn't work for them last year against Atlanta.

My revised picks for the NFC would be- Minn. winning the division with Green Bay as the other wild card.

And the second wild card in the AFC going to-Miami with the Bengals out and Baltimore winning the division.

How's that for getting back on topic ~D~ :thumb:

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
When I think of Old School, I think of Polk High's only man to score 4 touchdowns in one game. That's right, Al Bundy!! :laugh:

B

biglou

Well, as always, the playoff picture is ever-changing. I think the Donkeys' win over Indy last night did something good (or bad, depending) for us. I believe we might still get a first round bye and will be facing Denver at Arrowhead on week two. I gotta admit, the Chefs are unravelling for some reason, and the Donkeys are picking up steam. As much as we hate the Raiduz, the Bronc's have been our playoff nemisis as of late. The Chiefs are going to have to pull a serious miracle outta their collective asses if they want to start looking like a playoff/superbowl team. I sure want it to happen, but my gut feeling is that it won't, hate to say...

On a positive note, at least Priest Holmes should break Emmit's single season rushing TD's record. Heck, if they'd throw one to him as well, he'd break Marshall Faulk's combined rushing/receiving single season TD record. He's currently tied for the record with Emmit with 25 rushing TD's this year, and also tied with several others for third place with 21 rushing TD's from last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
"Samurai" Mike Singletary, and, of course, The prototypical Linebacker extraordinaire, Dick Butkus.

How could I have forgotten Butkus?
Singletary? I wasn't aware of him until around 85. Chicago had possibly the best defense ever (except Pittsburg), and so he seemed to just blend in with that defense. He was very, very intense.

I think the Bronco's win over the Colts was a good thing for the Chiefs. Had the Broncos lost, the Colts would have forced KC into a wildcard game. Unfortunately, I think the Chiefs are done.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
How bout that rookie Quentin! Looks like a mini Barry Sanders.

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Originally posted by Okiewan
How bout that rookie Quentin! Looks like a mini Barry Sanders.

Yea, Yea!

Broncos baby!

Good to see my boys gettin' some props! :worship:

If the team that showed up last night (and for the Chefs game) continues to show up for games (and not the yahoos that thought Chicago would lie down for them) watch out baby!

Sorry ~D and Big Lou...I think the Chefs are finally showing their true colors, they better step up if they want to get past the 1st game of the playoffs.

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Hey Rod.. that wasn't props for the Bronco's :p
It was for the OU rookie :aj:

Hey, I can twist words with the best of em! :)

Finally a game where the announcers didn't have a choice but to say some good things about my boys! Usually they are nit picking everything about the Blue and (predominately) Orange

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
First round is a bye for the Chiefs...home field is up for grabs. Chiefs need a win over da bears and a NE loss for staying home during the playoffs. Seems kind of silly how armchair experts everywhere are writing off a team w/ a 12-3 season w/ 6 offensive probowl selections as done. Last time I checked the Chiefs and Broncos are tied in their series this year. Right now it looks like Denver needs to be ready for Indy in the playoffs (as of the way things are today)

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by nephron

How could I have forgotten Butkus?
Singletary? I wasn't aware of him until around 85.

you guys are too young.

how about willie lanier, mike curtis, and ray nitschke?

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by Rodzilla
Sorry ~D and Big Lou...I think the Chefs are finally showing their true colors, they better step up if they want to get past the 1st game of the playoffs.

:eek:
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAA!!! TIME OUT!!! BACK UP!!! Don't you be calling me a Chiefs fan. :flame: I'm a RAIDERS fan. As I mentioned earlier, talking smack about my Raiders is not permitted in this thread. They didn't show up this season... I KNOW!! :|

I'm torn... I'd like to see Seattle make the playoffs, but they don't deserve to. I'm thinking Dallas will end up the Wild Card for the NFC. I've never liked Green Bay so I really hope they lose tonight (like that will happen... they're playing the Raiders :silly: ) The AFC is too hard to know until after the last regular season game is played... NE looks pretty good, Denver :debil: has been playing with fire. I was amazed at how easily the Denver defense took care of the Chiefs offensive line in their last meeting. It was like watching an ape play with a rag doll (sorry Lou).

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Okay... I'll spill it.
I've been a Cowboy fan since I first started caring about football.. (1972) we lived in Indy at the time.

I just spent the last 16 years in Chicago (land). Never became a Bears fan, but "cared". Ya know? You see these guys on TV all the time, you get to "know them". Still, always remained a Cowboy fan.

"Caring" for "Da Bears" meant HATING Green Bay. But. I heard about Farve's Dad dying the other day... at 58... so I've gotta lean a little toward that... no matter how much of a star you are... the same bad stuff happens to ya. 58!? That's just wrong.

Cowboys? Lucky to be where they are, great improvement, but not a threat in the play-offs. They need a QB.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Oh and ~d~ ... is Rich actually watching F O O T B A L L with you?

"When Notre Dame stopped being good and the Bears stopped winning I stopped giving a rats :moon:." ~ Rich Rohrich

Does that answer your question? :laugh:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Cowboys? Lucky to be where they are, great improvement, but not a threat in the play-offs. They need a QB.

i believe that they are a quarterback and running back away from the superbowl. amazing job parcells has done.

Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
When you're talking about old school type players you have to include Brett Favre in that list. He plays with a lot of heart and for the love of the game, that showed tonight. He plays hurt and enjoys watching and competing against other players and doesn't mind taking a good hit or throwing a block if the opportunity is there. As said before, he's has the attitude of a linebacker. :thumb:

B

biglou

"Armchair experts everywhere are writing off a team with a 12-3 record..." Well, yeah, I'm a little concerned because they went from 9-0 to 12-3! They are batting .500 in their last three games. they are 1-3 in their last four road games, etc. Ya gotta look at the big picture, and all the little pictures at the same time. They seem to be coming apart lately, whereas the Donkeys seem to be getting all their shizzle into the same sock as of late...

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
mx547--I remember Lanier and Nitche, but not Curtis.

It's hilarious that the fighting Irish secured the weekly TV spot. And equally funny that each week they have a chance to show the world how incompetent they are.

There is, I suppose, reasonable rationale behind that. Every Catholic in the world, whether they've been within 100 miles of the campus or not, is adorned with Notre Dame clothing on Saturdays.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by nephron
. . . Every Catholic in the world, whether they've been within 100 miles of the campus or not, is adorned with Notre Dame clothing on Saturdays.
Not all Catholics . . . :debil:

Top Bottom