Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
I am pretty sure I am going to build my next trailer. I have built 2 trailers already. So really, just adding the frame work and the .190 aluminum skin wouldn't be that much more difficult or expensive. I think the 6x12 V-nose is ideal for just transporting to races/riding w/o living quarters. I want to set up the front half for a bed, bathroom, microwave, etc... so I am going to go 7x14 or 7x16. That can still be pulled comfortably with a 1/5 ton truck. Also, I will go all aluminum and insulate the walls and celing.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Things have changed, I now have a "midget truck" to consider when searching for the perfect trailer. I got it Friday and so far I've pulled the 5x8 and can't even notice it's back there. I even pulled my 16' cargo trailer and it was very easy but then again it wasn't loaded. The 1500 qwad cab dodge wouldn't pull a greased pickle from a hogs butt anyway so I went for the smaller new truck and hope it does the job.

Attachments

• pc020152.jpg
    pc020152.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 88

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
and they call that Ranger an Explorer

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by BunduBasher
and they call that Ranger an Explorer
It's quite a bit beefier than a ranger. I'll give an update soon, I only drive about 50k per year.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
My daughter has one and she really seems to like it. It is about a year old now and she isn't thinking aobut trading it, which is a first, so she must like it. :confused:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I briefly considered the Ford Sport-Trac when they first came out. My thought was why not just get an Explorer so that you can store things inside, safe, dry, and secured. Seemed like the bed was too short, or just barely long enough to get a full-sized bike in the bed with the tailgate down.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by Smit-Dog
I briefly considered the Ford Sport-Trac when they first came out. My thought was why not just get an Explorer so that you can store things inside, safe, dry, and secured. Seemed like the bed was too short, or just barely long enough to get a full-sized bike in the bed with the tailgate down.
I kicked around all that too. I've had two of the small Blazers, a Tahoe and several full size pickups. When I started riding I owned the Tahoe so I always pulled my 5x8 cargo trailer for my bikes but even when I got the full size quad cab I bet I only put the bike in the back a handfull of times. I really couldn't see any advantage to not using the trailer because it is so small, easy to pull and easier to load. My Sport Trac has the locking hard-top cover that hinges in the middle so it'll open from the front or back and it's water tight and contents are out of sight. Another idea I considered in having the little bed instead of the traditional "SUV" was I didn't have to waste A/C on the cargo area. I'm not real sure I could get a full size bike in the bed of the Sport Trac, I never measured but like I said, it's really easier in my case to just hook up the trailer.

Another consideration for me choosing the Sporet Trac was the compact size. Spending $1K per month on gas, I do a lot of driving. I hope to find it easier to get in & out of places easier. I found it normal in the quad cab to pull part of the way in a parking spot then back up and straighten her up when I pulled back in. That got old quick.

I'll give an update after I drive it around over the next couple of weeks and have a chance to pull the trailers more.

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
I'm in the market for a smaller trailer, one that I can take to Practice/Race with my Full size Van/ or pull with a large Rv with a 3500pd hitch.
Two axle's would help just in case you have a flat/change tire issue,
can change the tire without using a jack.
First Choice would be alluminum Frame, much lighter everthing,
V-Nose would be another good thing.....
R&R makes this trailer - i plan to pickup a 7x14 this week - and will tow with my 99-ranger or 98-explorer. with aluminum trailer weight of 1800-lbs, will keep below 3500-lbs with 4-bikes and stuff - although I plan to use a weight distro hitch with sway control. My only concern is the tongue weight with the V-nose. I plan to take a scale and get an empty weight - these small vehicles can't handle too much front weight oh, R&R has a web site - search for "R&R Trailers" Leonard truck and trailer carries these www.leonardtrailers.com

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
update to my last post.

the R&R 7x14 was a weight hog on tongue weight at 360-lbs and since you can't use a weight-distro hitch on a V-nose trailer (this one anyway), I had to pass on the trailer as ranger limit is 350 w/weight-bearing hitch. Also turned out that the trailer frame had a single I-beam to the hitch instead of the stronger A-frame style -- imho too much stress on that single I-beam and its welds!

so it looks like a 6x12 pace dbl-axle w/brakes will have to do w/o purchasing a new vehicle.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Senior KX Rider said:
Give us updates Jeff, my wife has been looking at them for a while
2 & 1/2 months, a little shy of 9k miles. So far so good. I really like this truck. Mialage is around 17.5 combination and as much as 22 hwy only. I've pulled all 3 trailers (5x8, 6x14, 6x16) loaded. It pulls the 5x8 way better that the 1500 quad cab Dodge, in fact it pulls all the trailers better. I notice on the 14' I have to pay attention on loading procedures or I get the front wheels off the ground feeling. The 16' loaded to a little over 5K gross weight pulls really well also. The 1st trip out had me and 3 passengers, 2 rather on the heavier side :) , at close to 80mph up & down hills. Tow milage was rather poor that trip but was to be expected, still better than the Dodge.

The down side is not as much the short bed but the low clearence of the bed with the hard tanou cover in place. The back seats lay flat & lock down so I can get much more cargo in the cab area of this truck witch is good because I can get so much less in the bed. I have the option of removing the cover (2 spring loaded slide pins) and piling the cargo higher in the bed, the top weighs 70lbs. I would consider adding the bed extender along with the tanou cover so I could use it when I remove the cover.

Another note is that the inner fender wells are plastic. Not a big deal but the 1st time I heard a rock fly out of the tread of my tire and hit the inner fender well it sounded like all hell had just broke loose :clue: .

I'm hoping the truck will hold up over the "long haul," I have plenty of payments left on it. If I had it to do over again I wouldn't have changed a thing, I'm happy with my purchase so far and recommend the vehicle to anyone interested.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Jeff,
I'm fairly certain that the whole rear box is plastic.
It won't be too long and all vehicles will be plastic, as DuPont has developed a new plastic that comes out of the mold with road-ready finish. (no paint needed)
It's a doable thing now, but re-tooling would cost too much to just switch over.
The exclusion of the painting process will revolutionize the auto industry.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I know the inner part of the bed is that way but I really haven't paid that much attention to the exterior of the bed.

Just came on from the garage, the entire bed is that way. I have a friend that has a Saturn mae out of a "coke bottle" and he loves it. He said his kid through a ball the 1st day he had it and it bounced right off the car leaving no mark. Later in the 1st week he had it, while at the grocery store, a shopping cart slammed into it as he watched. He said where it hit sorta popped in and popped right back out leaving not a trace of where it hit. I think long term durability will be the issue depending on if the plastic dries out and becomes brittle. I doubt in a crash situation plastic or metal will be of any consequence because both serve little protection, I suppose.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I don't think you will see the plastic change much in your lifetime, Jeff.
Enjoy! :)

Just FYI, The SportTrac is built on the same assembly line as the Explorer and the Mountaineer.

Last edited:

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
JTT said:
Nice rig Whyzee :thumb: Never seen oak cabinets in a trailer before :cool:
I do (did ... business is dead) a lot of kitchen remodeling, it just seemed to be the right product to use. I also added the ceiling lights, ceiling, some spot lights for the rear, made the countertop with extra stickers and about 10 coats of poly. poly'ed the walls and ceiling. added a bunch more tie downs in the floor and made a table that folds out and sits over the wheel fender. I'm going to get the floor done with Rino-liner or a similar product if I ever find a job. :ugg:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Very nice interior job on that trailer Whyzee! I went with the painted interior, but always liked the look of natural wood. Just don't have the patience to put multiple coats of poly on.

Question regarding the stickers on your counter top: Did you put the first coat of poly on, sand, then apply the stickers (followed by more coats), or just put the stickers on the bare wood. I plan on building a workbench for the garage, and am going to steal your idea (it's that cool!).

Thanks...

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Smit-Dog said:
...Question regarding the stickers on your counter top: Did you put the first coat of poly on, sand, then apply the stickers (followed by more coats)
I did this!

Smit-Dog said:
... or just put the stickers on the bare wood...
I did NOT do this! :laugh:

Smit-Dog said:
... I plan on building a workbench for the garage, and am going to steal your idea (it's that cool!).
Thanks...
I am flattered, or maybe I'm just fatter. I used the rest of the poly to finish a 9' work top, and did it w/ 4 coats.
Patience is the key word. let the poly get rock hard 2 days of drying per coat. 1st coat sand with 200, 2nd coat 400, 3rd coat 00 steel wool. thin coat for the last coat, use a brush, not a roller.

JTT said:
I went with a roll on product similar to Rino-liner and it worked great! Fully year and not a mark
I'm going to have to go with a do it yourself product also.

Last edited:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
whyzee said:
Jeff, I finally poped some pix's of my trailer. I know this has gotten a little off topic, but take a look. It pulls behind my F150 5.4 real nice.

(Trailer Link)

When ya going to get that 250?
Nice setup Dave! I noticed you too have a "cargo net". I had mine sitting around in the garage for the longest time before I put it to some good use. It works great.

What are the dimensions on your trailer? looks like it may fit in the garage (just barely) but is it tall enough to get your pants on comfortably, or off after the ride without getting stomach cramps?

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Jeff Gilbert said:
What are the dimensions on your trailer? looks like it may fit in the garage (just barely) but is it tall enough to get your pants on comfortably, or off after the ride without getting stomach cramps?

Jeff, it's a 7 x14. will just barely fit in the garage but I leave it outside to have an "extra" garage. As far as the de-pants thing goes, Jeff ya need a good woman! someone who will get ya through the pants on, pants off moments without giving you the cramps. I know Twinkie has offered to help ya out but I think ya need a real woman. :laugh:

Check out the Haulmark line: (HERE)

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
I have the same trailer, only in a 6x12 single axle model. If I get time, I'll post pics of that one.

gixer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2001
Ok
Reading all the trailer posts finally got to me. So I went out and bought a 5x8 enclosed. This will fit in the garage so that is one reason I went with this size. Plus it’s easier to tow. After checking some other peoples out the size should be fine for what I am going to do with it. It does not have a ramp door on the back. I did not want one all the time but I will be building a ram for it like I have seen on some others here. Now time to set up the inside and see what I can do with it. I figured some lights a few shelves in the front and a roof vent and maybe a few down by the floor that I can open and close. Would be nice to put a portapoty in there for those emergencies.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom