Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I currently have 3 trailers, a 16', 14' & a 5'x8'. The 16 I use for my band, the 14 is for work which leaves me with the 5x8 to haul motorcycles. They are all Wells Cargo trailers and I've had good luck with them but I'm looking for a slightly larger trailer to haul the bikes. I have fit 2 big bikes & a 65 in the little trailer but normally I only carry a 125 & 65 plus the gear. The 14 & 16 trailers are tandem axels and kind of a pain to pull plus I don't really want one that big to haul bikes. I'm looking for recomendations on the "perfect size" trailer for bikes and should it be a single or tandem axel? I've also heard comments from people regarding the ramp doors saying that they take up too much room by having to drop the ramp to load & unload. Share with me your experiences and recomendations for the best trailer.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
you don't want a toy hauler nature boy ! - what do you think of that pak rat !

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I have a motorhome Alan, just looking for something with easier loading than the "low ceiling" 5x8. I'm also considering a smaller truck to tow with.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I would like that 5x8 of yours, I'd cut off the lid, make it a pop up with a 1 or two foot rise, and add tent/canvas siding to it - now that would be sweet, add one of those bunk beds which fold out and hang from the ceiling, and bobs your uncle ! - mini toy hauler !

you probably need something similar, only with a higher roof. I rented a 5x8 with a 5'4" foot roof from uhaul once - the Oddessey pulled it no problem, and it felt to me, like the perfect size trailer - it had one of those roll up doors which was also pretty neat.

what's the roof height on yours ?

Attachments

• uhaul.jpg
    uhaul.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Not too sure on cutting the top off but I like the idea of a hammock to lounge on while between rides ;) I'm kind of thinking a single axle might be a little easier to yank around. If I were to go with a ramp door I'd probably slam into the front of it when I got a little overzelous when loading :scream:
Don't really know what I'm looking for yet, just thought I'd get some feedback from other small trailer owners out there.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
hey, there are some neat ones on that e-buy site, 5x8, 5x10, 6x10 - there is a really neat wells cargo one similar to yours with a raised 5'6" roof.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2573383508&category=41496

and a really neat one with a 6'4" roof http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6763&item=2441459617

I especially like this one, and it's nearby http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2572811719&category=41496

http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=92827585&ssPageName=L2

I gots to git me one, how much you want for yours ?!

Last edited:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Jeff:

My vote would be a 7x14 tandem. My, new to me, trailer carries three bikes and all the junk without having to stack things to the ceiling or fill the back of the truck (except for DW of course). The real plus for me was the tandem, as I drug (dragged) a flat from Dallas to Wichita Falls before realizing it was entirely flat. The weight we put in the trailers doesn't exceed the load limit of a single axle, so the tandem is just insurance. It is tall enough to walk in and there is a bed and storage as well.

Tony

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
that company that alan posted a link to is only about 15 miles from me. jeff, if you're interested in one of those, i could check it out for you.

i use a 6x12 single axle with barn doors. it's the only one i've ever had so i don't really have anything to compare to. i have no major complaints about it. i can say that i wouldn't ever go smaller.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I don't own but we have the use of a 6x10 with a 6'2" (I think) roof. On race weekends we haul 3 85's plus all the race gear for 3 racers, a large tool chest, several coolers, generator, 50 gal drum of water, 4 ez-ups and various other goodies. We have it jam packed to accomplish this. On practice days we have had 3 full size bikes in it and an 85. As for barn vs ramp this trailer has barn doors and I think I prefer that option simply due to needing less room behind the trailer in the pits and in bad weather in the spring or fall if your in the trailer you can have one or both doors partially closed with very little effort.

This year when I spring for my own trailer it will be a 6x12 as anything bigger presents towing problems for me on practice days when I'm not using the motorhome to tow. I'd love to pick up the v-nose Lemming had for sale but it's a bit of a trek for me to get it from Alabama.

Last edited:

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I got to thinking last night, about a pop up concept for a cargo trailer - just have the front of the roof on hinges, and the rear section pop up, thus giving you more headroom, and letting air and light into the trailer, a tent option would make it a very neat pop up.

Now Jeff, get to work, and start popping off them roof rivets. My only concern would be to affecting the trailers integrity and high speed stability.

I would think that if you want to have some cupboard space up front, and still have room for your two to three bikes, 10 foot would be the shortest you should go.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I just sold an 8x12 enclosed, I didn't have a truck so it was quite a lot to deal with towing... but the tandem axles made it pull nice and smooth....

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Does anyone make an 8x12? Sounds pretty oddball to me.. I would think a 7x14 v-nose tandem would be the perfect fit for a rider, that's what I'm currently looking at.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
This summer I bought a 6x12 beaver tail enclosed w/ramp door. First enclosed trailer I've owned. I love it! There's been a few times when it's been a little too small, and a few times when it was too big (if I ride alone) so it must be pretty close to the correct size for me.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
My old trailer was an open 8x12 snowmobile type trailer.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Well, I have a 6x10 Pace with barn doors and single axle. I can comfortably carry three full size bikes and 4-5 trials bikes without any problem. I built a ramp door for the inside of mine to ease loading, but can remove it if needed easily (stole the idea from a fellow DRNer ;) ).

Mine's light enough that I can move it around (small amounts) by hand and can tow it with both my wifes Windstar and my company Buick (3.1L). I love it! I've got buddies with bigger ones, but they are a little cumbersome at times and are more difficult to "manhandle".

Attachments

• resize trailer.jpg
    resize trailer.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 142

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I have the Wells Cargo, Tote Wagon. 6x12 Single Axle.
The inside height is 6'
Mine came with the flow through venting, side door, rear ramp, interior lighting, stabilizer jacks, aluminum rock plate.

I get three bikes, and mucho gear loaded.

Some argue about the ramp door, but I would NEVER have any other style. It is so easy to let the spring loaded door down, and put up.

The trailer is the perfect size for me. Can't hardly tell it's behind me.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
Mine's got a ramp door as well. Don't know how I could live without it. Barn doors are a pain, and you still need to carry a ramp. Yeah, I know, I could LIFT bikes into the back, but me, I'm more into ridin' 'em. I also have a full width shelf in the front, a small hanger for tie downs, a paper towel dispenser, and a small broom hung on the walls.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
I too have to admit, if I did it again, I would probably buy with the ramp door, although my setup works very well.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
While the ramp door is nice for getting things in and out of the trailer, the biggest disadvantage for me is that I can't open a ramp door when the trailer is inside my garage.

Other than that, here's a link on barn vs ramp:
http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57740&highlight=ramp

MX-727 has some nice trailer mods as well:
http://www.dirtrider.net/teamdrn/sh...&page=2&sort=1&perpage=12&ppuser=19400&stype=

My Trailer:
http://community.webshots.com/album/53042528khhAnF

http://community.webshots.com/photo/97049922/97051064qmmRbm

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
LOL....my trailer is my second garage. (another plus for having a cargo trailer)

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
This spring we built a new shed to get some crap out of the garage. 1 1/2 months later I bought the trailer. Now I've got more storage space than ever. I guess I gotta buy more crap now. :debil:

Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
I have a 6x12x6ft tall enclosed trailer, and find it almost ideal for towing with a newer 1/2 ton Chevy pickup with 5.3L engine. I have barn doors, but would like to add an OPEN SCREEN ramp, so that I can wash off the bikes with the pressure washer outside, but not sitting in the mud. My vision is this ramp will slide under the floor, and allow the barn doors to be closed with the ramp out (no mud sprayed into the trailer when pressure washing).

My current trailer will fit in my garage at home, which is a huge plus for me. I just open the barn doors, and then back it in. I can work on the bikes, etc, with the trailer in the garage.

If I sold this trailer, I'd get eight a 7 x 14 x 6ft 6inch tall, v-nose, with a diesel 3/4ton pickup, or I'd get something big enough for a Jeep and bikes to go behind the motorhome.

Last edited:

UD24

Mar 6, 2002
I just sold my 24ft V-nose Pace, rather big for two 50cc/65cc bike's,
checkerd tile floor/Rear ramp door/ alluminum package,
E-track/ d-rings' spare tire Hatch/ Hydro.
The nicest thing about that trailer was pulling it, areodynamic, worked well with load/distribution hitch/ must have for bigger set up.
I'm in the market for a smaller trailer, one that I can take to Practice/Race with my Full size Van/ or pull with a large Rv with a 3500pd hitch.
Two axle's would help just in case you have a flat/change tire issue,
can change the tire without using a jack.
First Choice would be alluminum Frame, much lighter everthing,
V-Nose would be another good thing.....
Barn door's vs Ramp Door.....good question??
Torsion Axle's/ Must
Tire's/ if possible 225/75's over 205's
I like the Polished aluminum Look.....
Color.....we had Black/alluminum

Top Bottom