Performance Report, YZ426 Head & Suspension Mods

ricky1

Jan 18, 2000
I wasnt ready to post this yet, because I am still struggling with new jetting, but here goes.

My bike is a 2001 YZ426. I live at 6500ft and ride from my house to 9000ft several times a week, until the snow gets to deep.
I try to ride mostly single track mountain forrest, and some desert. The tougher/tighter the better.

After experiencing the "no compression when cold" thing, I did some research, and was directed to Zip Ty Racing.
They (Ty Davis and Jim Hardiker(sp)) explained the problem to me and also explained their solution. It involves using the stock valves, but different springs and retainers. They did replace one valve (center intake). They also did some porting (cleanup) on the head.
Then I went one step further. I had them install HotCams.

First let me say that my butt is NOT a dyno. BUTT, what a difference!!!!

I was trying to avoid the cliche "this thing rips!" but I can't. It pulls harder and soooo much smoooother right off idle. Easily a gear higher on single track and out of corners. I drag raced (rolling) a KTM LC4 640, and Honda XR650R, on a fire road and easily pulled them both, right to the rev limiter.

And I know my jetting is not right. I changed needles, clips, and pilot jets and could'nt get it right. So off I went to my WOT testing site, a .2 mile dam. (level pavement).

I was running a 160 main. I did my first pass, ( I come on to the straight in 3rd, quickly shift to 5th and pin it until I hit the limiter, then kill button and clutch).
The plug was white on the insulator, but had soot on the steel around it. I guessed it was not warmed up enough.
Because it was so white, I skipped to a 165 and did another pass. The insulator was still very white, but no soot. I made one more pass with a 168 and it is still close to white on the tip. That is my biggest main jet.

One major thing I noticed was that previous to the head mods, when doing these WOT tests on the dam, after getting to the rev limiter I could not stop before the pavement ends and where the dirt starts. (where the truck is parked).
Yesterday I could stop long before the truck, without any hard braking!!!!!!! Much better acceleration than before, but it is so smooth, you almost can't tell it is stronger.

Now the suspension. I have a MX Tech off road setup. I thought it was good. Then I changed to a 18" wheel, and added the Zip Ty Magic Link. This bike is now MAGICAL. The steering is unbelieveable, and it is much better in the rough stuff. I chased a 20yr old kid (I'm 47) on a KTM 200 on one of our tightest single tracks, and was able to stay close to him until I was exhausted. (Maybe 2 miles)

The combination of the smooth low end, and plush handling makes this bike a whole new experience, and it is AWSOME.

Thank You Zip Ty Racing.

I may post an update when I finish jetting. By the way, don't forget; all this report IS with incorrect jetting, and it STILL runs awsome!!

Rick Fuller
'01 yz426
'00 yz426 destroyed by fire in desert race 4/22/01
'81 490 Maico

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
what needle are you using?
What was the $$ for the head work?
Was the work performed through Zip Ty Racing?
Did they assemble the motor?

ricky1

Jan 18, 2000
Bill,

I read almost all of your posts, especially the ones on your yz4??. I hope we can ride together soon. Do you ride with Monte?

Right now my needle is EKQ #3. I am going to try #2 soon, it stumbles (bogs) when I go full throttle from about 1/8.

From my invoice: Head work 550.00
Springs/Tops 195.00
Cams 295.00
I did not shop around. I know someone who had this done to their 250f and was very happy. I hope I didn't spend to much.

The work was done through Zip Ty Racing, but I believe they send it to THEIR machine shop. The cams are pre set, but adjustable.
intake LC 106 Lift 8.48mm Duration 249 lash .15mm
exhaust 102 8.1mm 252 .2

I don't really relate to the numbers, maybe you can comment on them.

I did all the assembly work myself .

Do I think it was worth the money? Very much so. I think I covered the performance in my last post. I do not think the YZ426 is a hard bike to start, if the jetting is close. However, it does seem to start easier now. I had it upside down (wheels up bars down on a snotty hill) twice this weekend. Three kicks and running, both times. Cold morning start, 1-2, warm starts almost always 1 kick.

BTW I am running a stock exhaust with a BMP insert, 6 disks. Ty's mechanic (Jim) said he couldnt believe it ran so good, so plugged up. with 6 disks it is about 100-101dB. Also, pump gas currently Shell (YUK) 91 with ethanol. Ty reccomends 50/50 with something like C-12 or Union (Unocal?) 110.

I can't PM you, but I will try to e-mail my phone # to you. Hope we can hook up.

Rick Fuller

Top Bottom