cp380sx

Jan 12, 2001
There has been some speculation as to what happened to Pestrana Saturaday night. I spoke with his mom before the qualifiers and she told me he had the flu and was really ill. I asked her if he was still planning on riding the 250's and she said yes but she inferred that it wasn't a good idea. After blowing through the first corner of his qualifier he packed it up and called it a night.

Cameron

------------------

BBB

Jul 10, 2000
That sounds about right, I talked to TPs dad for at least a half hour at the Houston SX about being a dad with a teenager (mines almost 15) and how to govern what they do and what in thier best interest with dirtbikes. TPs dad told me he and his mom make NO decisions for Travis,,,, none. He does/rides when he wants to and they never decide when he shouldnt be out there. They let him make his own decisions. So it doesnt surprise me he rode sick like that,, after all he put himself through at the MX 125 Nationals last year with a wrist cast and severely sprained ankle, and riding with a concussion early this SX season, the kid tries hard to be at the gate for the show.

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
BBB - that's alarming, to me. Travis is still a kid, after all. His parents don't need to make all his decisions, but they sure as heck should make some. I mean like, "Hey, you can't ride with that concussion. Wait til' your eyes stop spinning." I mean really, is it just me, or is that crazy?

------------------

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
LT- I was thinking the same thing.

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
I don't care how famous you are, until you're 18, I brought in this world and I can take you out. ;) At 16, in his stature, he needs mom and dad more than ever.

------------------
Lloyd TMTC #540 - Y2K KTM 250 E/XC
Please sign my Guestbook at My Homepage
"You're fast 'cause the fast guys stayed home!!"

cp380sx

Jan 12, 2001
Travis is 17 now. He is also out of high school and enrolled at the University of Maryland. I think he has proven himself to be a model child and his parents have rewarded him with more autonomy than the average 17 year old deserves. He is an exception. 18 isn't a magic number nor does it make one an adult. I know quite a few people in their 30's who are less mature than TP. Even Roger Decoster who has a record of being controlling has given Travis a long leash. There is a reason for that and it's because Travis is a good kid that usually does the right thing. I have seen too many control freak/jerk moto moms and dads that have ruined their kids. The Pestranas' do not fit into that category and deserve a little more respect.

Cameron

------------------

BBB

Jul 10, 2000
Longtime, I personally agree with you on that idea, and I too looked at TPs dad funny when he told me that. But his logic was this:

If he was to tell TP to stop racing, or to stop doing freestyle events, Travis would grow up not knowing for himself what his potential really could have been. And possible live a life asking, "what if".

But the way it is now, if Travis goes out and messes himself up in Freestyle or on the race track, he alone is responsible for the decision that caused the career ending injury.

Thier position is a tough one. Being a loving parent AND letting the boy become a man and realize his potential. I dont envy them at all.

------------------
1997 RM250 A92
Texas Championship Hare Scramble Series

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I have to agree with cp380sx - Travis is not the ordinary 17 year old kid. I was fortunate enough to hang out some with Travis and his mom (Debbie) and dad (Robert) at Loretta's in '99 and I think his partens are doing an excellent job raising that kid - Travis is an exceptional, thankful, polite, first-class kid and a wonderful role model for our sport.

------------------
'01 YZ 125 - #32
2000 D17 Women's Motocross Champion
Sponsors: DGY, MX-Tech, Bell, Smith, Works Connection, Boyesen, Twin Air, SoCal/DeCal Works, Morris Trailer Sales, and Skyway Trucking

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Originally posted by nikki:
I have to agree with cp380sx - Travis is not the ordinary 17 year old kid. I was fortunate enough to hang out some with Travis and his mom (Debbie) and dad (Robert) at Loretta's in '99 and I think his partens are doing an excellent job raising that kid - Travis is an exceptional, thankful, polite, first-class kid and a wonderful role model for our sport.

I agree with all of that. I'm not bashing Travis at all. I am a huge fan, as are my kids -- and more so for his attitude, behavior and maturity than for his riding. I actually feel a little protective of him, I guess, cause he's still just a boy (dare I use that term? okay, young man), though a mature one. I just think that every once in a while we all could use a loving parent (trusted friend/spouse/sibling/whatever) to tell us "no" -- for our own good. And for me at least, motocrossing with a concussion, or when you are "really ill" would be a pretty good example of one of those times.

------------------

cp380sx

Jan 12, 2001
I'm sure Travis gets good advice from his parents during these situations. In the end nobody knows better than oneself if they are up physically/mentally for challenges of professional sport. That is why TP took HIMSELF out of the program Saturday night. He showed good judgement. Travis is not only a young man but he is also a professional athlete. That places a different set of pressures to perform on him than weekend warriors like all of us face. All professional atheletes have to play injured/ill at one time or another and TP is tough and has grit. He is a winner and winners push themselves harder than the pack. His parents know this and now most of their good work is done. The rest is up to Travis now.

Cameron

------------------

Top Bottom