Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
OK, here's the deal. The last time that I rode a dirtbike in the state of Michigan was the '92 Phillip Bean Memorial Trail Tour. Fastforward to now.

I've been jonesing to get back on some of that nice Michigan single track. At first I thought that I would drive up for an enduro, preferably a National, but then I got to thinking that I would have more fun at a trail ride instead of an enduro.

So, I started looking at the calendar and the Bean looks perfect. In fact, I just got a thumbs up from the spousal unit. :thumb: :yeehaw:

My questions are these? Who all is going? What's changed, if anything, about the CCC TT format? Do I need to sign up for a CCC membership in adavance? Do I still need a MI ORV sticker? My KDX is plated, legally, so that won't be a problem, and it's quiet enough to pass the sound check.

You guys will camp right? I'm going to either tent or sleep in my minivan or something, but I'm not getting a hotel room.

This will be big fun, and well worth the 2000 mile round trip.
Let me know what you think? Can I get one of Freddy's burgers, seems I've missed them twice at DW.

I looked it up on the CCC site, and there is no flyer posted. Any event information will be helpful.
Still on for June 26-27?

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Timr - The flyer is in the CCC magazine, and on the website, but you have to be a CCC member to access a lot of the good stuff on the web site. Here's the basic info:

CCC Magazine said:
18th Phillip L. Bean Memorial
Tomahawk Trail Tour

When: June 26 & 27
Where: Wolverine, Michigan

Three Loops with 75 miles of fantastic single track trail, no license required. The 24 mile Fulmer Helmet loop requires a street legal and licensed motorcycle. Moderate to difficult riding. There is no gas near the staging area so bring extra. Rustic/Field camping, same staging area as last year. FREE HOG ROAST SATURDAY WITH ALL THE FIXIN’S!! and CCC Trivia Contest Saturday. Prize Drawings Saturday 6:00 p.m., Sunday 3:00 p.m. ORV license, CCC membership, and spark arrestor req. Bikes must pass 94 dbA sound check

NOTICE: All riders under the age of 16, must present a SAFETY TRAINING CERTIFICATE to be entered in this event. Contact the CCC Office to schedule training.

Directions: Take I-75 to Exit 290 (Vanderbilt).Turn left (west) onto Old U.S. 27, take that north 2 1/4 miles to C-48 (Thumb Lake Road). Turn left onto C-48 Thumb Lake Rd. and follow that 3 1/2 miles to Magee Rd. Turn right on Magee and follow that 4 1/2 miles and then turn left onto CCC Road, follow that for 3 1/4 miles to the staging area, across from the Great Lakes Gas plant. Tomahawk will have all these intersections well marked to get you in. For reference, see page 9 of the CCC mapbook. The staging area IS NOT the parking area or campground noted in the mapbook, it is a private unpublished site.

MEMBER SIGN –UP FEES
Active Member: $18 2-day / $10 1-day
Family Member: $9 2-day / $5 1-day
Family Weekend: $30.00

Hotels, Motels and Cabins

Indian River
Indian River Cottages/Motel (231) 238-7406
Reids Motor Court & Cabins (231) 238-9353
Stahls Cottages (231) 238-9917
Star Gate Motel (231) 238-7371
Indian Trail Motel (231) 238-7768
Nor-Gate Motel (231) 238-7768

Wolverine
Sturgeon River Campground & Resort (231) 525-8300
Kuliks Cabins (231) 525-8889

Remember to reserve your motels and cabins early.
Indian River gets all the overflow from the Straits Area.

FOR INFORMATION CALL
Donny Bean (517) 699-8147
Don Bean (517) 628-3422

You can sign up for the CCC at the event, and I believe get your ORV sticker there. To be safe, I'd order the Michigan ORV sticker ahead of time online at http://www.mdnr-elicense.com/welcome.asp

I've ridden up near Wolverine, and they have some pretty cool trails. Never ridden this event, but am lobbying hard. Hope to meet you up there!

Attachments

• phil_bean.jpg
    phil_bean.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 143
  • tomahawktr.jpg
    tomahawktr.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 142

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Thanks. Last time I was there, it was awesome. I hope to meet you there too.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Timr said:
This will be big fun, and well worth the 2000 mile round trip.
Let me know what you think? Can I get one of Freddy's burgers, seems I've missed them twice at DW.
Still on for June 26-27?

Timmy
I don't think I will make this, I think I may be real busy with work that weekend. Bummer! I'd hate to miss a ride with you.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
The have the TT staging location on private property, so you can camp there (free). Plenty of state land all around for camping on too - the location they used to hold the TT out of is just up the road 1/2 mile.
Yes, you'll need CCC membership and an ORV sticker. Like Smit-Dog said, best to get the sticker ahead of time in case they run out or some other snafu.
They usually get permits to use the road sections for unlicensed bikes, but doesn't sound like that will be an issue for you.
They have a free hog roast, great prizes AND they are giving away a 2004 DRZ110!!!
Unfortunately the info posted above leaves out this important info:
Dual Sport for 2004 at the Tomahawk ride will continue with our long/short loop strategy that takes in some of the areas best terrain to keep you mildly challenged and grinning ear to ear. Permit allowing, there will even be more new course changes than the past several years, while maintaining the same general riding area. Even a true Hero option (not finalized as of this writing)! Expect to need a 60 mile gas range. Food stop options will be in the routes as always. All Dual Sport bikes and riders must be street legal and meet ORV requirements for spark and sound. If your bike is too loud, don't bother trying to sneak it through. For more information, contact: ME

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Fred T said:
Timmy
I don't think I will make this, I think I may be real busy with work that weekend. Bummer! I'd hate to miss a ride with you.

I'll get one of those burgers someday. :ugg:

CircuitRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2002
Timr,

You (and F&S, Sparkey, Fred T, and everyone else) are welcome to stay at the East Jordan Parsonage and Bed and Breakfast...

It's about 20 miles from the trailhead in beautiful Charlevoix County...

Ya'all come,

Circuit Rider

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
2TrakR said:
... Unfortunately the info posted above leaves out this important info...
Sorry 'bout that 2TrakR.... he was asking about single track riding, so that's what I included. Based on the yee-haws the EE guys had blasting around that 950 Adventure last weekend at ROS, there's bound to be some more DS converts.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I'll be up there camping, with the whole Marzec clan. This year is supposed to be the party of all time! DJ. Saturday night, Pig roast after Saturday ride with all the trimmings They’re given away a 04 KLX110

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Timr. just to clarify....Circuitrider is my dad and lives less than 30 miles from the trail tour. Last year Sparkey and I stayed at his place on Friday night. We met MWeissen on Saturday morning and had a great ride....until Sparkey broke a toe and we got lost and wet when it rained during our dual sport back to the staging area.
It is too early for me to plan a ride in June, but I will let you know.

These trails are some of the best in Michigan. In fact I made a return trip to Wolverine for another trail ride in the Fall....got to go trail riding with Keen, Jenks, Lykke and a guy named Lafferty.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Great. This all sounds good. I can't wait to plan it. Turns out we have a series Enduro that same weekend, but I haven't raced an event for points yet this year, so this is still my plan. The logistics of it all are starting to work out. I'm going to make some buisiness apointments on my way up. Sunday evening, I'll head for home and get home sometime monday.

I'm looking forward to it.

Top Bottom