yz400fer69

Jun 5, 2001
It was a good race. Bubba won the 125's and Carmichael won the 250's. In the 125 heat race #2 David Pingree was leading and came up short on a triple and his bike broke into 2 pieces. The forks broke completely off of the chassis. Pretty scary crash but he walked away. He went to the hospital to be examined because he was caughing up blood.
The 250 main was pretty good. McGrath pulled the holeshot and led for about 5 laps and fell back into about 6th or 7th. It went Carmichael, Pastrana, Villemun, and 4th place was The Rock.
Loracco went down pretty hard in the 250 heat but still ended up in the last qualifying position.
Bubba Stewart is extremely fast. His corner speed is unbelievable. They say he is even faster in the outdoor series, I think the other guys better get to the gym and start some serious training because they are in for a rough season if that is the case.
During practice, Bubba went down pretty hard but didnt seem to bother him.
Pastrana also went down in practice and hurt his knee or ankle. Couldnt tell exactly but he was limping around. If Pastrana keeps it on 2 wheels the rest of the year he has a good shot at winning the series. It was a good race but I was dissapointed in Carmichael.. I would of liked to see The Rock take another victory. I guess 1 every 7 years is good enough for him.

250 Unofficial Results
pos name bike laps interval best lap time
1 Ricky Carmichael HON 20 51.950
2 Travis Pastrana SUZ 20 2.644 52.221
3 David Vuillemin YAM 20 3.944 51.961
4 Mike Larocco HON 20 13.700 52.369
5 Nathan Ramsey HON 20 22.247 52.990
6 Jeremy McGrath YAM 20 25.958 53.194
7 Ernesto Fonseca HON 20 30.876 53.254
8 Michael Byrne HON 20 40.589 53.982
9 Ezra Lusk KAW 20 41.173 53.367
10 Stephane Roncada KAW 20 43.522 53.166
11 Nicholas Wey YAM 20 50.365 53.847
12 Heath Voss HON 20 55.987 53.897
13 Damon Huffman SUZ 19 - 1 lap - 54.428
14 Kevin Windham SUZ 19 10.160 53.793
15 Kyle Lewis HON 19 16.301 54.559
16 Jean Sebastien Roy HON 19 20.310 53.891
17 James Povolny HON 19 33.192 55.572
18 Ryan Clark YAM 19 36.360 56.045
19 Ted Campbell SUZ 18 - 2 laps - 56.147
20 Ryan Terlecki SUZ 18 7.506 57.434

125 Unofficial Results
pos name bike laps interval best lap time
1 James Stewart KAW 15 52.988
2 Travis Preston HON 15 5.715 54.136
3 Rodrig Thain YAM 15 9.928 54.588
4 Chris Gosselaar HON 15 14.560 54.091
5 Brock Sellards KTM 15 28.198 55.238
6 Ivan Tedesco YAM 15 29.543 55.420
7 Michael Brandes SUZ 15 33.854 56.294
8 Craig Decker YAM 15 34.949 55.403
9 Erick Vallejo SUZ 15 36.914 55.276
10 Travis Elliott HON 15 39.454 55.865
11 Joseph Oehlhof YAM 15 42.090 56.525
12 Kevin Johnson YAM 15 42.932 55.668
13 Shane Bess SUZ 15 46.571 56.111
14 Keith Johnson YAM 15 49.718 56.179
15 Billy Laninovich KTM 15 50.385 55.823
16 Turbo Reif SUZ 15 54.323 55.887
17 Danny Smith SUZ 15 54.704 55.817
18 Michael Young YAM 15 57.187 56.108
19 Josh Coppins HON 14 - 1 lap - 55.727
20 Justin Buckelew SUZ 14 0.433 56.830
21 Casey Lytle YAM 14 13.196 56.473
22 Levi Reid YAM 9 - 6 laps - 56.604

PK

Feb 27, 2000
Sounds like a good race. KTM gets a black eye for bike breaking in 2, hope the Ping is alright. Did he Oo. when it broke? What happened to Tim Ferry? Atleast MC didn't get lapped. Did Bubba have the Fusia gear on? At first I didn't like it, but it's growing on me...

YZDezertGuy

Apr 18, 2001
Phoenix SX was a BLAST tonight! It is now 1:30 and I'm just arriving home. Bubba was sportin the "pink" gear tonight! I admit its different and I wouldnt wear it but it does look cool! That kid is insanely fast! In the 125 main he had a big enough lead to lay it over and still get back up and going and have at least a 3-4 second lead! I would really like to see him in the nationals!

250 main was a blast as well! McGrath took the holeshot and I thought he was going to hold the lead for a win. Unfortunately he faded back into the pack. Carmicheal ran away w/ the win. The best battle would have been Pastrana and Vuillemin (SP?).

I really hope Ping was okay. That was one nasty crash! When I first saw his bike break into two pieces I thought I was seeing things. Then I noticed it was reality. That was by far scary but it was good to see him get up from it!

All in all it was a great night in the sold out Bank One Ballpark! Looking forward to next year already!

yz400fer69

Jun 5, 2001
ping's crash

ya that was a seriously bad crash. I didnt think that was for real but when i saw about 10 thor guys run over there and drag the 2 pieces across the track i thought man is that guy alright. But ya he did walk away from that bad one and hopefully he will be back next week.
Bubba is too fast it is scary. Seriously he is so fast that he crashed in the main and got back up and still won with about a 2-3 second lead. It was a great show and I too am looking forward to next year. It should be a good season.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Are they gonna let Stewart ride a 250 at the eastern races?:cool:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Wish there was a way to get a better look at the race plans before the races. Thus far, it looks like you could predict who is going to win the races (within typical MX tolerances) based on track type. I COULDN'T, but it looks like there's a pattern here thus far. DV seems to do well & look the "smoothest" (King of smooth, IMO) on the "lofty" tracks with a lot of rhythm sections (forgive me guys & gals--I'm not trying to talk over my head here, I'm just making some observations). Perhaps the ones of "medium" technical difficulty. Obviously, technical tracks favor TP--IMO, he has the best "command" over the bike out there, and of anyone on two wheels.:) I would predict he will clean house in the east. These tracks tend to favor the 'ol wiley LaRocco (who'm I callin' old--I'm 35:( ) as well, particularly when brake checks, bumps & tricks n.o.s. are called for frequently.:) The last group is obvious: The Florida boys. The all-out fly-by-the-seat of your pants flat, long, & less technical tracks favor RC & JBS. ie, PHOENIX. At the beginning of the broadcast, when JH said the track was flat & fast, I had the feeling RC would clean house. I'm telling you. On that CR, RC is going to CLEAN house in the Nationals.

MC looks better. It will take time, but I see him being excellent in the east soon. I think (and have since San Diego) that TP is the best rider out there & will win the series, though. I think he's the only one out there that will be able to hang with RC by season's end--AND I think he has the skill to beat him in the tougher stuff.

Would still like to see Lusk do better. It bums me out when people say stuff like "All it's gonna take to beat RC is a little aggressive riding", & then come in 6-8th every race. I'd like to see him hang it out a bit more.

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
Great time had I at the race!

Looked like Pingree stalled the motor brake tapping going over a triple. The bike hit almost perfectly vertical on the top of the triple. The forks broke off the bike. Heard from one of the EMT's that one of the riders was hauled off with a "flail chest" which means he broke a ton of ribs, hope it wasn't Pingree.

LaRocco cased it really bad in the qualifier, so I was suprized that he did as well.

The 250 race was really good, for the first half, it coulda been any of 5 riders to win. Even to the end, if any of the first three riders had fallen, the race would have been up for grabs.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
I've never paid attention to lap times before so can someone tell me if this is uncommon?

4 Mike Larocco HON 20 13.700 52.369
5 Nathan Ramsey HON 20 22.247 52.990
6 Jeremy McGrath YAM 20 25.958 53.194

1 James Stewart KAW 15 52.988

On his 125, if best lap time is a good indicator of overall speed throughout the main, he could have placed in the top 5, possibly even on the podium of the 250 class had he been really challenged? Shouldn't there be more of a difference in lap times between the two classes? 2nd place Travis Preston's 54.136 compared to 13th place Damon Huffman's 54.428 sounds more reasonable

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Injuries

Here is an update:

Tim Ferry went down in a timing section and was said to have a punctured lung.

Ping was also taken to the hospital after his bike had some problems. Not sure on the injuries but heard talk of ribs.

Tyler Evans went down in the whoops and suffered a broken collarbone.

Justin Buckelew was riding with both ankles taped after he cased the triple of a quad.

Chris Gosselaar has been riding with a sore ankle and also had to have it taped for the race.

Bubba was beat up during the weekend. He cased the second triple when his footpeg caught a tuff box before the face. Then in another practice a rider landed on his clutch hand and he planted into the face of a jump. His bell was rung for a period of time as he was slow in getting up.

Lamson is getting back into the doctors to get his leg checked out again. He had a compound fracture of the lower leg just below the knee.

yz400fer69

Jun 5, 2001
Alot of injuries...

Ferry went down pretty hard. But it looked liek they were working on his knee or ankel? I hope ping was ok. He jumped one of the triples and alot of the 125's were having trouble with it. One time he came up short and the way he landed broke his KTM right in half. He wlaked away but it was an ugly crash. I think it broke just cause of the way he hit. Even though stewart was banged up. He was still flying. Gosslar was hurtin all day. I was in the pits for most of the day and saw him limping around on his ankle. Justin Buckelew was probably banged up because there wa a section the was a triple and then a quad. He jumped the tripple and then he only tripled into the quad. He also cased it and the way he landed the throttle stuck wide open and he launched his bike into th 6th row of seat. It wasnt a bad crash but the way he landed must of hurt him. Travis Pastrana also crashed in practice. He had to be taken back to the pits on a little golf cart because he hurt his knee but I never heard anything else about it.

yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
Agreed, it was a very good race!

fer69 - why were you dissapointed in RC? I guess you did not want to see him win? I expected him to get back up to speed around round 4 or 5. JSB was the first rider to jump 5 in on the whoop section before the finish line jump - very impressive. Also the Sellards / Stewart battle in the heat was interesting to say the least. Sellards deserved something IMO, since he tried the same move on JSP on the turn before the previous triple and almost put james down. He recovered and still doubled into the triple and caught Sellards in the next turn. Stewart put Brock down pretty fast and hard with his rear wheel taking out Brocks's front. JBS ( so far, from my observation) does not pass people dirty - he does not have to, but he wanted to get Brock back for sure. That kid is the fastest/ smoothest rider I have ever seen. Looks even more impressive live. He had a 15 second lead before he washed out in that turn after one of the triples.

As far as Pingree's bike is concerned, I think any set of triples would have broken considering how that front wheel came in. That front wheel never even rolled an inch. THe triples absorbing the energy might have saved him a broken bone? Hopefully, his ribs are not badly hurt. Good race anyhow , can't wait till next year.;)

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by zio
I've never paid attention to lap times before so can someone tell me if this is uncommon?

I love watching the 'fastest' lap time. Both indoors and outdoors it is not uncommon for the best 125 rider to have a fast lap with the top 5 of the 250 class and within 1 - 3 seconds of the top 250.

At last year's outdoor final, RC on a 125 had a best lap that was only topped by one 250 rider (Windham). In 2001, depending on the outdoor round, TP, Brown and Langston on 125's would usually lap with the top 3-6 of the 250's.

To put it in perspective, the guys that Bubba is beating by 4 or 5 seconds a lap could show up at almost any track in the country and beat the top local pro on his home turf.

yz400fer69

Jun 5, 2001
Ya that was a good battle in the heat race. I also agree it wasnt dirty, they were just racing. Like BUbba said in the interview after the heat, "I didnt think it was dirty but he did it to me so i did it to him, thats racing". Ya Bubba was doing the entires whoops section with two jumps. He would make a mistake and still gain on the rest of the field. I was dissapointed to see Carmichael win because I dont like him. I guess it was good for the Carmichael fans but I would of liked to see The Rock take 2 ina row and possibly the points lead. David V. Is a very smooth rider this year. He looked really fast. The good news though is that Carmichael didnt run away from anyone. He just got a lead and kept it. Which means at least Pastrana and Villimun have the speed to beat him they just gotta keep it close at the beggining.

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
This race sounded really good over the net, can't wait to watch it. First thing is RC clearly is officially back. Won a tough very competitive race and had to work a little to get up front. Travis Pastrana will win a race this year. The kid has shown great growth over the past year and it looks like he is keeping his head in the races as well. DV is for real. I thought we may see him fade some, but 4 races and four podiums later(two of which were wins) DV is looking good. MC seemed to have some more fire Saturday. He lead some of the opening laps before fading back some to sixth. He is starting to get things back together. Bubba really hauls the mail on a 125. I think his lead after 1 or 2 laps was already 3.8 seconds? At one point his lead was around 12 seconds when he slid out in a corner. He never even got caught and still managed to win by over 6 seconds. He ran the 5th fastest lap of the race, the only faster laps were by Carmichael, Pastrana, Vuillemin, and Larocco, the top 4 250 riders. WOW this kid is fast plus he's consistent and seems to have a really good head on his sholders. Definitely a future star, if he's not already. The rest of the 125 guys need something to stay with him. I think that Travis Preston, Chris Gosselaar and a few others have the speed to run Stewart's pace they just can't let him get that far ahead of them if they want to be there in the end. Overall sounds like it was a great race and the series still looks like a good one.

Dash Riprock

Jul 13, 2000
Ferry. .

I was sitting seven rows up where Ferry bought it. He tried to get a little too much distance in that section and stuck the front wheel hard. He went chest first into the bars and then continued to cartwheel with the bike many times. He was clearly having trouble breathing. Hope he's ok.

Ping's crash landing. I wasn't close enough to know for sure, but it appeared the bike stalled in air and he just dropped. .straight down. The frame did not break. Just the steering head.

That triple/quad section was mountainous. Been going to the B.O.B each year, but can not recall any section as gargantuous as that first triple. The first jump looked like a wall. As the 125 races wore on, the few guys that were tripling it were cutting it dangerously close.

Congrats to Ted Campbell from Apache Junction, AZ on making the 250 main! (He started right next to MC). Good Luck TC!!

Stewart is blazing fast. If you blink, you miss him in the corners.

Dash

Top Bottom