Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Apparently it was a drama fest in Phoenix.

First Stewart decides not to ride second practice fueling speculation he is sick/injured. Then Stewart gets a brutal start in his heat and allegedly decides to change lines as he hits a triple which results in Kyle Partridge landing on him ending his heat race. He gets into the main by winning the LCQ but at a much slower pace than usual.

Come the main both Stewart and Reed get 13/14 place starts and are trying to slice through the pack, it appears Stewart is holding Reed up. A few corners later they both go down in a heap, on the way back up apparently Reed pops Stewart in the helmet allegedly breaking his hand, he cruises for half a lap and pulls off the track. Stewart eventually remounts to finish 15th.

After the race Stewart comes into the Kawasaki pits, dumps the #22 Kawi off it's stand and tries to get into the semi after Chad.

Original call by the AMA is a $5k suspension and 1 race suspension to Reed with a warning to Stewart. Reed appeals and last I heard the suspension had been rescinded.

Oh btw, Ryan Dungey won his first 450 SX!

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
RacerXonline said:
In the 450cc class, the drama also followed the title contenders – or at least the people who were expected to battle for the title – as round-one winner James Stewart, of the San Manuel Yamaha team, went down hard in his Heat race when he crossed lines to land basically underneath Kyle Partirdge on the track’s first triple. Partridge landed on him, and Stewart and Partridge went down in a heap. Stewart lef the stadium, but came back for the LCQ, which he won.

Visibly in pain, Stewart lined up for the main event, but found himself floundering midpack, still in front of rival Chad Reed. On lap five, Stewart is forced to knife a turn sharper than normal before the finish line, and Reed is committed up the inside. They collide, both go down, but Stewart lands awkwardly on Reed’s left hand. Reed appears to shove Stewart, but on appeal it was found that he was only trying to free his trapped hand.

Reed remounts, but quickly pulls out of the race when he realizes there is something very wrong with his hand. Stewart, although slow to get up, gets up and finishes 15th.

Meanwhile, out front, Rockstar/Makita Suzuki’s Ryan Dungey – race one’s big surprise – leads every lap on his way to his first-ever AMA 450cc Supercross victory. Fellow Ryan (Villopoto, of Monster Energy Kawasaki) ran second from start to finish, and Stewart’s teammate Josh Hill runs third from the end of lap one to the finish.

After the race, Stewart goes to the Kawasaki pits and pushes over Chad Reed’s bike, for which the AMA gives him a warning, since it’s his first offense. Reed is initially handed a one-race suspension (served at Anaheim II) and a $5000 fine, but upon appeal, the board rules in favor of Reed and finds that he didn’t have malice when removing his hand from under Stewart.

Still, as it sits, it’s likely that Chad Reed is going to need surgery on his broken hand, so he is out indefinitely, and Stewart will have some serious healing to do before Anaheim 2.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I can not wait to watch the race this evening! I thought aliens was intercepting the audio transmissions and telling lies! No way Stewy would dis practice! Oh, wait a minute, he might? Then he has a brain fart, again, been a while, and crashes out of the heat race? LCQ for Stewart, NO WAY? Yep, and won it! Poor Chadwick, everyone assumes he has drawn deep on some WWF tactics, again? Nope, Hope his hand job goes well as can be? And there was a race going on? DUNGEY! How did he get to be THE MAN? Bet Roger is beside his self, outstanding work! Villo's wrist damn well better be getting healed! I smell some glory to be had this year. Now I really feel for Grant, he had the next best shot, imo. 8 more hours, dang it, I hate waiting! Torrents, clips, nada? No DRN'ers go to the races out west?????? Come on with the second hand first hand views! Vintage Bob

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I could have sworn that JS7 was giving a lookover on Partridge, like he was pissed at him... Maybe they banged bars in the first turn or something.. And by looking over, screwed his landing.

You know what they say, you will always go where you are looking, and he did.. He was looking at KP, no doubt about it. Major brain fart for a #1 plate...

LEllis7motox

Jan 28, 2008
Well looks like reedy is out of the championship... Also, why would reed get suspended and JS only gets a warning (even though reed is not suspended anymore)?

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
The Reed/Stewart crash was by no way incidental. Reed wasn't being held up by Stewart at all. He was about three bike lengths behind Stewart coming into the turn, and Stewart had two riders that he was directly behind. As those first three came out of the turn with Reed coming into the turn, Reed tried to tuck a front wheel up and under Stewart but waaaayyyyy too late and they mashed up. After they were wrecked and trying to get back up Reed kind of punched/pushed (with some force) Stewart in the helmet while Stewart was still on the ground.

I'm really getting tired of Reed. He used to be my favorite rider but with time his true colors are starting to show. He always has an excuse for consistently being second fastest, and complains after every race. Dude.... You are currently the SECOND FASTEST supercross rider in the world. Quit complaining.

Off of that subject, I'm pretty stoked to see Dungey riding so well. He seems like a pretty quality guy and doesn't seem too hung up on himself. I'm ready to see Stewart heal up and see if they can get some battles going!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
IMO, Stewart did drift into Partridge. Not intentional, but that crash was caused by Stewart.

On the Reed/Stewart crash, Reed did make a very agressive move and gained alot of ground. It looked like Stewart had time to check up and swerve left and avoid contact. Instead Stewart took a chance by putting the throttle on and holding his line. IMO, Bubba had a chance to avoid contact. Maybe he was too fatigued or in too much pain to make the right choice to avoid contact, give Chad the position and then catch him later.

Reed's slap/push to the head was a bit of a punk move, but probably not suspension worthy. It was not full force slug, and Bubba was not attempting to get off of him. So I think it was a heat of the battle 'Get off of Me!' type of thing.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
LEllis7motox said:
Well looks like reedy is out of the championship... Also, why would reed get suspended and JS only gets a warning (even though reed is not suspended anymore)?
Favoritism toward the golden boy, he can do no wrong. And wake_rider, your analysis sound like it came straight from the mouth of a Stewart fan, How hard should Reed have hit the brakes to stay out of Stewart's way? Reed clearly had the line, and Stewart took out his front end. He was already checking up to stay off of the other riders, watch his front wheel when he got close. Stewart used the same tunnel vision and disregard for other riders that he always does. Then he blames Reed for his inability to not accelerate into Reed. Reed has been understandably angry for the last couple of years, he's getting tired of being crapped on. Most want Reed to start listening to the PR guy, James has been doing exactly what the PR guy says, if you heard what he really thinks you wouldn't like it. Actions should do his talking. He needs to quit faking it and get real, I liked him better as an arrogant 125 rider. Oh, and he isn't the fastest man on the planet, it's just hype, he couldn't consistently beat RC on his best days. I guess that makes him second fastest.

Go Dungey, spank Stewart.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Don't forget, there was a sand section. Reed, the ultimate warrior, probably got some in his mangina.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Having just watched the replay, the crash with Stewart and Reed was trivial. The injury was freak. The two riders in front of Stewart both squared up and came down tight. Stewart had to do the same but Reed had the block pass committed. There crash really didn't look that serious and it could have been avoided by Stewart or Reed. The head slap was stupid, period.
If the AMA is going to levy fines and suspensions, they need to stick to them regardless of the rider/team. Whether or not you feel that Reed deserved a fine is your decision, I feel he should have had to start the next race turned around backwards in the gate. Far more embarrassing and guarantees a last place start.

J-man

May 16, 2007
I need to watch it again but it did kinda look like Stewart was holding Reed up a bit, He was in alot of pain so he didnt react like he normaly would. I agree with FruDaddy, Wake_Rider's comment does sound like a Reed hating Stewart fan. A suspension for that is just not right, The AMA amazes me more and more every year.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
The Stewart/Reed contact was incidental at best and nothing more than a racing incident.

The Stewart/Partridge crash was Stewart at his worst, he has a history of cross jumping the triples and that is exactly what he did to Partridge. He did the same to Reed last year at Jacksonville making enough contact to rip the fork guard off Reed's bike in the air over a triple. Last week at Anaheim Stewart blatantly moved over on Dungey twice on the last lap to block him on the triples. Josh Grant summed it up best on the webcast last night when watching a replay of the Partridge crash he stated "Nothing new there Stewart has ridden like he's the only rider on the track for years".

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Here is a poor quality but better angle video of the Partridge crash clearly showing Stewart coming across the triple in the air.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VQIc-agwIWQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VQIc-agwIWQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Jame's look over, to get to the outside of the next corner, revealed eminent pain. And it did! But, to refuse assistance and grimace/wander? I sure hope he was in another world, and not going for Stuper-Man aura? The riders in front of JBS started that CR/JBS wreck. Pushing the helmet, typical CR flare. How did anyone attribute the head slap to breaking the left wrist? Never mind, I have an idea! So CR is done for the year, sure seems he got what he worked for? JBS, there was a reason he sat out practice is my biggest question, and hows the ribs! Can't give RD enough credit, outstanding job! The lites race, my wrists still hurt watching all them cases! That track looked like straight slippery clay, accept the jumps? Vintage Bob

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
During the initial broadcast, it looked like Bubba got a little bit of drift on the triple.

The vid linked by Chili makes it pretty clear that Bubba was purposefully cross jumping from the middle to the outside of the track to set up the corner.

That move works fine with a 5 second lead. Not so smart when mired in the middle of the pack just after the start.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
FruDaddy said:
Favoritism toward the golden boy, he can do no wrong. And wake_rider, your analysis sound like it came straight from the mouth of a Stewart fan, How hard should Reed have hit the brakes to stay out of Stewart's way? Reed clearly had the line, and Stewart took out his front end. He was already checking up to stay off of the other riders, watch his front wheel when he got close. Stewart used the same tunnel vision and disregard for other riders that he always does. Then he blames Reed for his inability to not accelerate into Reed. Reed has been understandably angry for the last couple of years, he's getting tired of being crapped on. Most want Reed to start listening to the PR guy, James has been doing exactly what the PR guy says, if you heard what he really thinks you wouldn't like it. Actions should do his talking. He needs to quit faking it and get real, I liked him better as an arrogant 125 rider. Oh, and he isn't the fastest man on the planet, it's just hype, he couldn't consistently beat RC on his best days. I guess that makes him second fastest.

Go Dungey, spank Stewart.

I hope you're kidding. I've never really had much of a stomach for Stewart, but there's no denying that guys speed. Even RC has said multiple times that JBS is the fastest guy to have ever been on a dirt bike. High accolades from the goat... I think JBS needs to learn how to ride amongst the pack or else his career is going to end soon. He can't go off doing dumb stuff like he does when in the middle of groupings.

Going back to the Reed/Stewart crash though, Reed came in late and that's all it comes down to. If he would have been a bit more of a bike length closer, it would have been a legit block pass and JBS would have to recognize and let off. That's not what happened though. Reed was way too late and was coming into the turn as everyone else was already on their throttles, past the apex, and on a line out. It was way too late and I'm sure it just came from frustration, but he was still in the wrong. Do I think it's worth a suspension? Not at all, but the head slap/push I think warrants a fine or some type of reprimand. I don't think a "firm talking to" would have any effect on Reed because it would just be in one ear and out the other, but hitting him in his wallet might grab his attention.

After RC's reign, I quickly became a CR fan with KW being a close second. I always liked that both seemed to have incredible work ethic and relied less on crazy/almost out of control riding, and more on good judgment, great technique, and incredible consistency. Unfortunately, I think Reed is becoming too much of a, for lack of better term, prick. I'm pretty much done with that guy's whining, complaining, excuses, and *sshole attitude. From this point on I'll still be hoping that K-dub, Dungey, Villopoto, and Stewart can make this a fun year to watch.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
What a bunch of BS,, Reed's fault, Stewart's fault, whine, whine, whine, call the wambulance!!!!

I've watched it several times, didn't need to but did.

Stewart was on the far outside berm, Reed was using the inside to middle of the corner. He had no real reason to even pay attention to Stewart on the outside. By all rights Milsaps and Stewart should both have stayed outside and been gone by the time Reed got there. Milsaps slowed and came down to avoid the rider in front of him, Stewart came down into Reed's line to avoid Milsaps, Reed was already committed to his line. NOBODY'S fault, a true racing incident.. Now the suspension was rescinded because after review the AMA (and anyone with half a brain) could see that Reed pushed Stewart's head up, to raise his shoulders which were laying on Reed's left hand, so he could get his hand off from under Stewart. If there should be any fine or suspension, it should be on Stewart for going to Reed's pits after the race and trying to start trouble.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Hasn't been this much talk about SX in a while :)
Okie likes it.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Stewart triple-jump-brain-fart.
Stewart tough-guy-to-still-race... (if you ask me.)
Reed humiliated/angry-pass-attempt-take-out-move-brain-fart.
Dungey keeps a level head and makes it work.
Dungey's gunna take the SX title.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
IMO! Reed broke his wrist casing the triple earlier. Warriored up like he does, got some MAJOR sand in his mangina, figured he could square up on all 3 riders, and pass them with no room to, warrior style. On another note, How can a factory 450 race team try and say they were almost there, 2nd race in? What did he run in the Aussie SX? Hope his hand heals well. Vintage Bob

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Just seems strange a healthy Reed couldn't get past an injured Stewart and then when he does go for the pass both get taken out. I really think Reed was so frustrated by last week and now running behind again he figured to give Stewart a bump as he went past. Probably not meaning to take him out but just to say now he was in charge and pulling away (and if the injured Stewart fell over all the better). Problem occurred when Stewart pulled inside tighter then expected to get around the other 2 riders and the bump became a collision taking them both down.
Problem is only one person knows and I don't trust him to tell the truth

Top Bottom