[pic] My 00 YZ 125 and a couple questions

dkgoodrich

Sep 9, 2007
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and have a few questions concerning my beloved YZ.

1] How many hours can I expect out of the fresh engine? I have 8.8hr on the hr meter now. I'm wondering when I should replace the ring.

2] On the rear shock's expansion chamber that says something about nitrogen there is a little air valve at the bottom. Someone told me I could bleed the air out of my shocks so I pressed the little center pin and a little air hissed out. Did I mess up? Does this mean I need to recharge this thing with nitrogen? How would I go about this? My rear shock seems bouncy.

3] The previous owner must have not ran this hard because oil just drips out of the silencer and all over the swing arm. I'm pretty sure all the packing is full of oil. Should I repack the silencer? Won't it just fill back up?

4] Can I stiffen up the rebound on the shocks by adj the clickers clock wise? The suspension seems too soft to jump, and I'm only 145lbs. Is the right and left clickers on the forks do the same thing?

Also if this makes any difference. I run castrol 927, bel ray gear saver, and pre oiled 'ready' air filters.

I use one castrol 927 per 4 gallons of gas

I change the tranny fluid every 3-4 gas tanks

I change the air filter when the out side gets slightly dirty.

I never really hold it wide open for more than a sec or two. I just put around till it warms up and give it a burst of throttle and when the power comes on strong I switch gears and do it all over again. I don't race it or wind it out real real far, I just ride it around the fields.

I'm honestly scared that I'm going to blow it up and cost me another arm and a leg money wise.

Please help me, This bike is truly mint now and it took me a long time to save the money up to buy it and then fix it. I've never owned anything this nice and honestly for every hr I ride it, I clean it for 2. I really am grateful for this and can't believe its legal to buy and own such a wild machine. It blows my mind every time I rip on the throttle.

History on this bike
Hi I bought this bike a while back off a 15 year old kid. Brought it home and blew it up twice within 2 tanks of gas. First time the piston ring and piston snagged an exhaust port. So I replaced the piston and ring and within 12 min on the new rebuild something foreign lodged in the cylinder wall scratching the wall and piston.

Now a bunch of money later and new sleeve, pro lite piston and ring, fly rod, bottom and top end bearing, power valve, kick start shaft, all new seals and gaskets [after case was split to remove any more foreign objects]

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Posting pics is a subscriber privilege.

Yeah, it might be a bad idea to release the nitrogen from your shock.

Silencer packing is something that should be done every once in a while. It's cheap, I do it once a season, more if needed.

Spooge happens. Learn to jet. There are hundreds of threads on here about jetting. Read them.

Cleaning your filter when it's dirty is a good thing, keep that up.

Changing oil in your trans is also a good thing. I don't do it every 3 or 4 tanks of gas, but ever 3 or 4 rides. I might use a couple tanks in one day.

Your rebound clicker is on the bottom of the forks. You increase the rebound by turning clockwise. Go 2 or 3 clicks at a time and test. There's an excellent article on mx-tech.com about setting up your suspension. I suggest reading it, that way you aren't making changes to your suspension without knowing whats going on. Very informative stuff.

Get a service manual. It will have all of the service intervals for your bike. Also invest in a compression tester. That would be the best investment to tell you when it'll be time for a re-ring.

Get a ratio-rite. Run your premix at 32:1.

Other guys will be along shortly to tell you why I am full of crap. They may even laugh at you and call you names. Don't pay attention to them. Unless they are named Rich. Then pay close attention, he has a clue.

Last edited:

dkgoodrich

Sep 9, 2007
Hi thanks for the response.

Any clue on how to recharge the nitrogen?

I'm going to go ahead and order some packing, I found some on **** its fairly cheap.

What do you mean when you say ''spooge''? Is that the black oil dripping out of my silencer?

I didn't know there was a clicker at the bottom of the forks, whats the one's at the top for? stiffness? I am going to read up on some articals about suspension adjustment.

Any idea as to were I can get a service manual?

On the back of the maxima castro 927 it says one bottle to 4 gallons.. am I ok doing this till I get a ratio-rite mixing jug?

Thanks for all your help.
DK

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Never had to recharge a shock. Not sure.

You can get packing at a dealer for around 8 bucks, no shipping involved.

Yes, spooge is that black oily crap dripping from your silencer.

Clicker on top of your forks is the compression, bottom is rebound.

repairmanuals.com

If one bottle to 4 gallons = 32:1, do what works for ya. Ratio-Rite cup is about 5 bucks at any bike shop.

rerfurt

Jul 7, 2005
At the risk of starting an oil and jetting war, I would like to recommend you trying something other than castor oil, for instance a good semi/synthetic two stroke oil - some of them have a lower flashpoint and they will combust at lower temperatures. Ofcourse this is no excuse for not jetting your bike.

Maybe it is an idea for you to disassemble and check your top end once every 10 or 20 hours to establish a service interval you feel comfortable with. I kind of feel the same way as you, scared of costly repairs, so I spend a few bucks on a base gasket and pull my top end apart for inspection every 10 hours, that way I have established my service interval to be 30 hours (I change everything while it is still well within specs.)

dkgoodrich

Sep 9, 2007
Thanks for your time and responses indy and rerfurt

I'm looking into 'spooge' and how to fix it.

I also am going to mess with my compression and rebound settings as well.

This bike has always had this 927 ran though it, is it ok to change? It does take forever for the bike to warm up, it has no power until I've circled a 50 acre field 3 or 4 times being real easy on it. If I try to get on it, it just bogs. However after it warms up good, it runs like a champ. Really doesn't have any bog in the mid or high end.

I do plan on changing the ring at about 35 hr. How many times can I just replace the ring before I need a piston and top bearing? I will however pull it apart and inspect it at 20 hr. What exactly am I'm looking for?

Also looking into a service manual, thanks for the link

Thanks again
DK

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
I have the excact same bike. Sounds like you'll be fine now that you've replaced some stuff. Indy has good points. I also suggest you switch pre-mix oils. I use Opti-2 it's a little more $$ but it's good stuff. I also run 32:1. As for the rear shock I have no idea. I was paranoid like you because I had an old yz125 that died on me . But worry not. Riding like a wuss isn't going to make the bike last longer. Opening up the throttle is what these bikes are meant to do. Don't be afraid. Two strokes require maintenance every now and then . It just sounds like you bought a bike that needed to have a few things changed inside at the time. Enjoy it, it's a beautiful bike

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Jeromeo said:
I also suggest you switch pre-mix oils. I use Opti-2 it's a little more $$ but it's good stuff.

Why should he switch?

I run Maxima 927 also, it works just fine. I know quite a few guys who use it also, is there something you know that we don't?

If there's a good reason to switch, let us in on it.

Last edited:

dkgoodrich

Sep 9, 2007
Thanks for the replys

All these specialty oils are very hard to find.. the maxima, only one store around here carrys it and they have odd hrs.. I really don't want to switch because its all its ever seen and I've always heard that you should stick with what its used to, but what do I know. ;) All the oils you all are recommending I'm sure are great, its just that I live in KY and finding them here would be like finding a needle in a hay stack. I would probably have to order it just like everything else.

Now I can't really ride my bike because of the rear shock. It does need to be charged and one power sports shop told me that If I ride it like that I could possibly blow the seals out on it. So Its now sitting in the corner collecting dust.

I called around for hrs today to all the diff shops and I only found one shop that will do it but they want me to remove the shock and bring it to them.. Problem is all my tools are at my customs shop and none near my bike.. There business hrs also coincide with mine so I will have to take off a day just to have this done.. Kinda sucks.

I really wish I could just enjoy this thing.. I do rip in the throttle alot, just not for extended periods of time. I ride it fast, just not winding it way out.

Any one know how to adj the lower adjustments on the bottom of the forks, I didn't see a clicker like the rest of the adjustments, just a ass backwards hex female head.

Thanks for your time...
DK

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I live on the west side near Speedway.

You would probably save considerable $$ if you bought your premix oil online. The local dealer here sells the 64oz bottle for 25 bucks. I can get the same bottle from rockymountainatv.com for about 16 bucks.

If you found the internal hex on the bottom of the forks, you found the rebound clicker. Well, almost. It may be that it's covered with dirt. Clean out that recess, and you should find the clicker inside it.

dkgoodrich

Sep 9, 2007
Thanks for the reply and the link to the website, I'm going to order my oil tonight from them. My local dealer sells the 16oz for 9.95. That website sells 6 of em for about 33 bucks.. Thats a pretty good deal.

Also thanks for the tip on were to locate the adjusters, I'll check that out tonight.

DK

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
You need to find cheaper oil. Amsoil Interceptor is $10 a quart (32 oz.) at my local automotive parts stores. Dominator is about $1 less but doesn't leave your power valves as sparkling clean.

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
dkgoodrich said:
Hi thanks for the response.

Any clue on how to recharge the nitrogen?

Any idea as to were I can get a service manual?

DK

Your dealer can (should...) be able to check and do this for you (charge rear shock) and it should not cost much.

Same on the manual, the dealer can get one. The yamaha manuals are quite good actually.

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
IndyYZ85 said:
Why should he switch?

I run Maxima 927 also, it works just fine. I know quite a few guys who use it also, is there something you know that we don't?

There is a good reason but I believe it was a typo. If you go back and read his post he wrote that he uses castrol. I focused in on castrol and suggested maybe using a better oil. He did not write castor. My apologies. Maxima Castor 927 is fine.

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
IndyYZ85 said:
If you found the internal hex on the bottom of the forks, you found the rebound clicker. Well, almost. It may be that it's covered with dirt. Clean out that recess, and you should find the clicker inside it.

Pull the rubber plug out of the recess, then you will find the clickers. :nod: :) :laugh:

Rotor

Douglas777

Sep 19, 2007
IndyYZ85 said:
Why should he switch?

i've been running 927 for 9 years! Who is this man telling us to switch!

Douglas777

Sep 19, 2007
dkgoodrich said:
I never really hold it wide open for more than a sec or two. I just put around till it warms up and give it a burst of throttle and when the power comes on strong I switch gears and do it all over again. I don't race it or wind it out real real far, I just ride it around the fields.

I'm honestly scared that I'm going to blow it up and cost me another arm and a leg money wise.

Please help me, This bike is truly mint now and it took me a long time to save the money up to buy it and then fix it. I've never owned anything this nice and honestly for every hr I ride it, I clean it for 2. I really am grateful for this and can't believe its legal to buy and own such a wild machine. It blows my mind every time I rip on the throttle.

[after case was split to remove any more foreign objects]

Don;t be scared to ride your bike hard. Your bike doesn't like you "putting" around on it. You aren't going to blow the thing up buddy! It sounds like you really appreciate what you have, and take very good care of it! NOW, reward yourself and ride the freakin thing!

P.S. They are "dirt" bikes! They get dirty!!!

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
Douglas777 said:
i've been running 927 for 9 years! Who is this man telling us to switch!

I was telling you to switch, but if you read above it's because he said he was using castrol not castor. It was a typo. Maxima castor 927 is great oil. Please continue to use it. Castrol just is an all around crappy oil

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Jeromeo said:
Castrol just is an all around crappy oil

Luckily we have you to protect us from the evil doers at Castrol selling bogus products. :coocoo: :coocoo: :coocoo:

bclark001

Sep 12, 2007
this is what you do about the rear shock find out the pressure (psi) it is suppose to have in it then load it into a truck/trailer and take it to a automotive tire shop preferable a well known one if possible. the new thing is nitrogen filled tires (nitrogen does not have moisture and has larger molecules so it tends to leak less) which I'm assuming is why they use it in the shock but anyways the new thing for automotive tires just happens to be what you need so I'm sure a little talking/money/persuasion and one of those friendly mechanics would be glad to help you out it may take a few shops but you should be able to find a mechanic that also rides --oh yea your oil is just fine in my opinion and thats what these are opinions-- :nod:

P.S. keep up the maintence if you take care of it like that then go ahead and ride the (use your imagination here) out of it :laugh:

rohleder149

Oct 11, 2006
go down to your local yamaha dealer. befriend the parts guys. tell them your new to the sport, just bought a 2001 yz125 and tell them you're pretty clueless. they will help you out. ask them all these same questions, they will point you to what you need to get. build a raport, you'll make good friends. they'll be able to help you out on getting your stuff and letting you know what you need to get, and as a bonus, you might make some riding buddies out of the deal. at least they'll be able to tell you about local tracks and their practice schedules.

Top Bottom