Pickin' up my 04 KDX 220R this Saturday! :)

JKPinPDX

Sep 29, 2003
OK, I did it! My life long dream of owning a KDX is now finally going to happen! I am a "too busy" kinda guy, I travel alot for a living doing sales training, and I have now finally had it! I WANT MY KDX! So I am getting it this Saturday (along with a new trailer to pull it in!) I bought my wife a New 04 Yamaha TW 200 (she has never ridden a motorcycle before, just 3 wheelers) so it should be easy for her to learn.

MY QUESTION IS...

What should be the first things I do to a NEW 2004 KDX 220R to get it ready to ride. I am an advanced rider (not a racer type though) but that was over 15 years ago! I have ridden since but not owned my OWN bike... until now.

Also what is the major changes of the 04 compaired to an 03?

I cant find any reviews or shoot-outs with the new 04 KDX 220R's

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Thanks for all the wonderful info!

JKP!

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
No changes at all from the 03 to the 04, infact they havn't changed the 220 since it first came out in 97! If you want to find a shoot out on the 04 KDX, you might try also looking for a shoot out with any 220, because they are all the same, save for color and graphics. Have fun!

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
I would suggest you greese the rear linkage and swingarm bearings cause they come pretty dry from the factory. I had the fmf gnarly tourq. but recently put on the rev/desert to go along with tcII silencer, and it works really good. The only other thing I've done with my 220 is a rad valve and revale of the suspension. As far as jetting I've just dropped main one size and it's Ok, alittle rich but no plug fouling. I use golden spectro 50:1, but use what you like or are familar with.

Good luck with the bike, and maybe this winter you may want to swap out the piston to a weisco. I have a 99 and kept the stock piston till it was out of spec. which was about 2yrs., but I've heard some reports of stock pistons shattering for no reason....kind-of "luck of the draw".

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
Definitely grease the swing arm and rear shock bearings because they come with little or no grease. A couple of rides in the mud and or pressure washing and you will have problems. My 03 steering head bearings were OK, but most suggest grease those ASAP.

Also, be sure to follow the breakin instructions for the engine. These are the two primary things I recommend for inital (minimum) preparations. I would also change the oil after each ride because there will be some metal shavings in the oil during breakin. Personally, I change my oil & clean the air filter after each ride.

Congratulations on the bike. You will love it!
JCW

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
'New bike prep' is where you want to go on the link provided by jason.

Spend some time (free) now or more time AND a lot of money later.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Of course, these guys are absolutely right about the greasing...

I took my '03 200 apart shortly after getting it and did the greasing recommended in the "New Bike Prep" area of the JustKDX website. Believe me, there was almost no grease on the steering stem bearings, rocker arm bearings, or swingarm bearings.

BTW, if you don't already have tons of protective gear, GET IT NOW! I've been on three good trail rides thus far and the pads have saved the day on two of those rides. Well worth the money!

And your MX boots WILL rub the paint off of the frame, so plan now for some type of frame guard.

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
One last comment. Stop by your cycle shop and get some waterproof grease. It's only $3-5 per container and it will probably last you several years. While I don't use or recommend any other Bel-Ray products, they have a waterproof grease that is OK.

Hey, we can't all be wrong on this one!

JCW

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
You know, I wasn't going to go down this road...

If you really want to open up a hornet's nest, just ask for a recommendation for 2-stroke oil or tranny oil. The safer path is to quietly do a search for those items and read the volumes that have already been posted there.

I'll save you some time; the MANY posts I have read indicate that the consensus of this riding community is that Bel-Ray 2-stroke oil sucks.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: gear

Oh yeah. If you think it's cool to ride in a backwards ball cap and shorts..well, you're a moron.

You can't have too much stuff. It has nothing to do with, 'I don't race, so I don't need all that stuff.' It's when you least suspect it and don't at all plan on it that, after a loop-it on a hill you've been up a dozen times before, and a subsequent slide down that hill on your head with the bike riding on top of you..then you'll be glad you're geared up.

Not that it's ever happened to me! ;)

Have fun!!

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Ya know, that reminds me, I remember this time...
Oh yeah, this other time....
Once, I was riding and.....

We've all got our stories! You ride, you WILL have some of your own! Wear the gear!

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
Glad we cleared the air on Bel-Ray products. Grease-OK, Oil-No Way!
This is a good way to wake everyone up! It's been too quiet anyway!
Got'a love it!!!
JCW

Houndog

~SPONSOR~
Oct 11, 2002
The only problem I have with BelRay is that I cannot buy it off the shelf here. Some people will tell you they like it, and others will say that it's junk... no proof either way. I think choosing oil is like picking a favourite color :)

Houndog

~SPONSOR~
Oct 11, 2002
Did BelRay pay for the engine damage? How many people have lost engines/pistons to a particular brand of oil that could have not been anything else?

Some of you guys make it sound like using BelRay is as prone to failure as a stock 220 piston.

I don't use BR now because of availability, I want to buy my oil off the shelf anytime I need it and ordering it in was a pain. Maybe I am wrong, BR may cause all kinds of problems to most that use it... I might have just been very lucky?

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
Use whatever you like. Personally, when I've had a problem with a product (like Weisco Hod Rods) or someone who knows what they are doing is nice enough to warn me about problems they have had with a product, I will choose to avoid going down that road. Canyncarvr had an engine lock up with Belray oil and that's all I need to know. Plus, several others on this forum have had problems with it. I haven't used it and don't plan on ever using it. I will stay with Golden Spectro or PJ1, which I have used for years with excellent results.

It may be good, but it's like of like Dirty Harry, "Are you Feeling Lucky?"

JCW

mad_german

Aug 11, 2003
Are we talking avoid premix oil or tranny oil or both?

I've been using Castrol TTS 32:1 for premix on my 2mo old 03 200. Has 346 miles on it now and I have been using Bel-Ray 80w Synthetic Gear Oil in the tranny. Changed it at 12 miles lots of metal, 80 miles it just looked pretty grey and dirty, changed at 200 miles and I'll do it here after another couple of rides.

Should I switch to somthing else. Should I use 10w40 engine oil and change after every ride? What are you guys using and at what interval?

mad_german

Aug 11, 2003
Originally posted by mad_german
Are we talking avoid premix oil or tranny oil or both?

I meant to say:

Are we talking avoid *Bel-Ray* premix or tranny oil or both.

The guys engine that seized using Bel-Ray oil, was that premix or tranny oil?

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
Pre-mix is the main problem (H1R, or whatever they call it) but I have a tendency to avoid any company (like Bel-Ray and Weisco) who have problems with any part of their line. I used to use Golden Spectro 70 weight tranny oil in my KXs, but my KDX did not shift well with it. I am currently using Castrol 10w-40 and the KDX shifts much better. KDXs seem to like thinner oil and regular oil changes. I never go more than two rides without changing it. After all, it's only $ 1.50/qt compared to Golden Spectro at $5-6.00/qt.

Just my two cents (based on experience and a $950 rebuilt, courtesy of a Weisco Hot Rod).

JCW

JKPinPDX

Sep 29, 2003
I friggin love it! I picked it up Saturday... and hit the dirt Sunday! I will tell you this that 2nd gear is a "rip-snortin' torque monger!" It is everything I thought it was going to be! Thanks for all the info people! I really appreciate it!

I will be asking questions in the future and look forward to all your relpy's! :-)

JKPinPDX!

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
Every team Kawasaki bike gets a new top end after each race? That solves a lot of problems. Who knows what else they do to keep their bikes running at top speeds.

Tell me what to do. Stop while everyone else gives their opinion, or chime in. If you will tell me exactly who is right and prove it, I'll be glad to be quiet. CC is far from the only one on this forum who is not a fan of Bel Ray. I've read numerous threads against Bel Ray (but while we're on the subject, I don't recall any negative threads on PJ1 or Golden Spectro- HUH?). On the other hand, he is one of few that I tend to agree with on a regular basis.

I think this forum is for opinions based on personal preferences and experiences. I choose to ignore a lot of what is said on here and I'm sure everyone else does too. I don't think there is scientific proof attached to 1 out of 10000 opinions on this site. Personally, I read each one and decide if I agree or disagree. I don't take it personal (and I'm sorry you do). If someone hates PJ1 or Golden Spectro oil which I happen to use and have a lot of confidence in, I'm not changing. However, I will be watching to see if others have had problems. If so, who knows- I might change that too.

I'm here because I love riding, I love my KDX, and I like "hanging around" with others who feel the same way. If I get one piece of valuable information out of every 25-50 threads, I'm happy. Sorry we got crossed up. Maybe we will agree next time. I respect you and your opinion, although I may disagree from time to time. Welcome to the human race.

JCW

Top Bottom