Oct 10, 2000
After all the posts and hipe I am tradeing in my KLX300 on a WR250F. I pick the bike up friday and can't wait to get it home. My question is, what are some things I should do to it once its in the garage?

wrench

'00 Flappin' Fender [Ret]
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 7, 2000
EAT PLENTY OF WHEATIES!!!!!!!!!!
smile.gif
smile.gif

My buddy picked his up a few weeks ago, man was it a BEAR to start. Make the guys at the dealer start it up a few times (letting it run for a bit each time) before going home with it. It is kind of fun to watch them take turns as their legs give out!
tongue.gif

LEARN THE "DRILL" for starting!!!! (you probably already know it though [KLX])

Once it is "broken in" it is very easy to start. After break in, then remove the Baffle, Airbox lid and cut down the throttle stop 60% of it's length (not including the "head" in the measurement). We have not done anything with the jetting as of yet, until my buddy complains about it!
smile.gif

Also, give the suspension time to break in as well, before playing with the clickers.

wrench

[This message has been edited by wrench (edited 03-29-2001).]

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
before you ride it (no kidding) you should grease the axles, wheel bearings, steering head bearings, & linkage bearings, & check the spokes. some of the air filters are coming thru with only a smear of motor oil on them, so be advised if it's dusty. pick up some extra oil & oil filters b/c it'll need several changes to get the metal shavings out of the oil as it breaks in. ride at your own risk on the stock front tire on anything but hard-pack. put frame guards on before you ride it if it bothers you to rub off frame paint.

Hawaii-Rider

Feb 24, 2001
Wheelie....
Congrats on the bike.......
its not hype, the thing rocks. My son and I love ours more each time we run 'em!
Adding to what Wrench said above and has been said many times here, strip it and grease it!
Steering head on both of my WR's were dry.
mad.gif

and the rear suspension links/swingarm not much better.
If you like to sample dirt (I do it enough that I must love it) change the bars now. Believe they are made from lead solder, they are that soft.
Hard Starting?
do a search on this forum, there is enough on that, but I have found taking the fuel/pilot up to 42 or 45 makes a ton of difference and this weekend I am going up to a 180 or 185 main for top end flyin'! (I ride at or just above sea level here)
Good luck, and my son and I love these machines!

------------------
CR-500
Maxed out to run in the woods........and now the new toys.....WR250F added to the stable (stock for now) :)

KevinB4stk

Jul 5, 2000
WOOOdoggies: sounds like you'll have fun on the new ride, try not to spank us to much more than you already are. Looks like Brandon had a good ride at the last GNCC, what was the corse like?
Have fun on the new scooter!

Kevin

Oct 10, 2000
Hey Kevin how ya doing? Brandon had a awsome ride and was stoked all the way home. The course was pretty rough on the first lap but got smoother as new lines opened up. I don't know for sure cause I DNF on the first lap. Long creek crossing and I laid the bike over in the deep spot and sucked up some creek water. When I changed the oil it was just like milk, glad I didn't keep going. Starting to break in the new bike, I think its gonna be a good ride. See ya at the track.

GRC

Feb 6, 2001
Instead of cutting the trottle stop just go by one for a 01 YZ250f. Over on Thumper Talk there has been alot of speculation of the right lenght to cut it, but the general concencus is to just buy one out of a YZ.

Top Bottom