jason380

Dec 20, 2006
Hey folks,
I fixed up my dads old bike for my g/f as a Christmas present. It has some black KTM plastic that I had sitting around and I painted some plastic black with Krylon Fusion. I also put some decals on it from a modern Kawasaki. I'm in grad school now so I couldn't do it the way I wanted to, but it runs great and looks OK for an old bike.
Here it is:.... Well I tried to post it, but it wouldn't let me...check it out in my gallery and let me know what you think!!

Don't mind the messy garage, I was pretty rushed to get this thing done. My little bro rode the bike for a few years and really beat it up.

Thanks,
Jason

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I bought an '84 brand new back in the day. Those '83 - '85 KDXs were a blast to ride and very good bikes for their time (well, the brakes were not so good).

I'll attach your pics. Bike looks pretty good, but yeah, the garage needs some work ;)

Attachments

• Img_0486.jpg
    Img_0486.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 337
  • Img_0490.jpg
    Img_0490.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 365

jason380

Dec 20, 2006
Dave, thanks for posting those up for me! That bike has been in my family for years. It has been very reliable and has the power to go pretty much anywhere. It can actually be a little too much for my girlfriend sometimes but she'll get used to it.

Raylewis--that's the stock silencer. Nice and quiet. I know of a place to get a DG silencer for this bike, but first I want to see how long my girlfriend sticks with riding. What is that bike in the pic? An old YZ 250? It looks good, I like the oldie but goodie bikes of that era.

Later,
Jason

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
FWIW, Jeff Fredette was the top placing American in the ISDE on an '84 KDX 200, which is virtually identical to your bike.

For trail riding, my '84 was pretty much good to go from the factory. All it needed was stiffer fork springs and raising the fork oil to improve bottoming resistance. Besides the soft fork and the brakes, this was an awesome trail bike for its time.

Mine was very reliable until the stator went out. I also melted down the motor at an enduro when it got encased in mud. I went with a 240 kit, which gave great low end power but it would not rev out and it really killed the fuel mileage.

The '83 - '85 handles great and has decent power for a 200. I think it is a great bike for your GF, I hope she likes it!

Top Bottom