Picture of Bent Rim

Crunch

Feb 9, 2004
I was racing a friend across a field when I nailed a small loose rock. I don't know if my tire was low or what but I noticed later that my rim was bent. Could I do a repair job on this myself? or do I just need to spend the cash and get a new rim? If you think its reparable, how would I go about doing it? Here is a link to the picture. Thanks for any suggestions!

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
That is a minor flat spot.
Make sure your spokes are tight & the tir tracks straigt & run it.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
My last bike had one almost that bad, and I never noticed it at all when riding, and it never got worse. I owned that bike for six years. I'm with John - ride it!

jumpingjoe628

Mar 15, 2005
I've tried heating with a torch and smashing it with a sledge hammer with no positive results. Good luck. If it bothers you that much, I would get a new one.

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
Welcome to the smiley wheel club. You can't get that 'smile' out anyway that I know of, and I've tried a lot of different ways. If you don't have any significant wheel runout (Side to side wobble) then run it. If you do, you can true the wheel and still run it as is. (W/smile)

Like Farmer John said, check spoke tension. About 99% of the time it's just one side of the rim and really doesn't change the spoke tension. (Check anyway though)

Don't let it embarrass you. It's not a sign of you being an unskilled rider, rather a sign that you ride hard. My two cents.

B

biglou

What about taking the tire and tube off and using a 10-12" adjustable wrench to work the lip back as close to normal as you can get it? I'd take small bites, and move it a little at a time working from one end to the other and then back again until it stands up about where it was. It doesn't have to be perfect, but it will be better.

I think I've done this before, but I'm not sure. I'm old. I forget stuff... :whoa:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…