DrVal

Oct 10, 2002
I recently purchased a 2001 KDX200, it wasn’t until I got home and removed the left side radiator shroud when I discover the radiator hose connecting the right and left side of the radiators was pinched closed. Apparently the previous owner crashed and bent the radiator into a position that caused this condition. Should I be concerned that this could have caused some internal motor damage? The bike does runs very well, and I am not sure how much volume of radiator fluid was even allowed to pass from one side to the other. Any suggestions?

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
I would guess that you will be fine. Definately need to fix the problem though. Pretty hard to pinch it so no water would flow. I will bet it was just reduced. If you have not fixed it yet you can check by removing the right shroud and remove the radiator cap. With the bike running you can look in at an angle and see the water entering the right side radiator at the top just left of the cap. Now would also be a good time to change the fluid too. I use Napa brand dex cool in both mine. The red color also makes it easier to see the level in the overflow tank. Mixed at 50/50
Lew

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
Is the radiator obviously bent? Sometimes people get a straight piece of hose and try to make it curve. It saves some money over buying the factory part but doesn't work too well. Maybe the previous owner had to replace it and went the cheap route, unless the rad really is bent pretty good.

Top Bottom