_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
Its my first time posting here, so im not sure how this place works yet :D.. But anyway, I posted all of this stuff over at supercross.com awhile ago, and now I am just copying and pasting the questions that I want repeated, so it might not make much sense, but you will get the general idea.. here goes

I also have a 2001 RM 125 if you want to cut to the chase and not read all of those posts..

Post #1:

Hey, im in the market for a new pipe and silencer.. What would you reccomend? I like power.. I have never ridden a 125 with an aftermarket pipe, so I basically have nothing to compare my style to ( bottom end rider, top end, etc.. im not sure exactly what suits my needs ).. I need advice from other riders on what would be my worthwhile buying.. A pipe costs a good 300-400 dollars here, so I dont want to blow it..

I was thinking a Bill's combo, or maybe a PC pipe + silencer.. Is there a power/durability difference between the works and plated version of there pipe? What about the silencers.. What does the 304 shorty do? What about the Factory 304 Sound Silencer?

I want the best overall power increase, and durability.. Any help is welcome :) ** This is my first pipe and silencer, so basically I dont know anything about them.. All tips for keeping the pipe in good condition, and which kind of pipe ( chrome, non-chrome ) etc.. is definately needed. )

Thanks a lot..

( I have a 2001 RM 125.. If someone else has the same bike, and an aftermarket pipe/silencer could you please tell me if your combo is good or not.. thanks )

Reply After Getting Tips From Others:

- A friend told me to shave the head, and to port / polish my cylinder instead of doing all the pipe and reed/rad mods.. He said that it could give as much as a 10HP increase depending on who did it ( He suggested Eric Gorr ), and that it only costs around $350 ( canadian I would believe ).. Is this good advice?

- Im wondering about power reeds and rad valves.. Would they be worth my $$$ to buy them?? Which is the best company to buy from?? I heard that V-Force and Boyesen are the best, but whats the truth?? How much do they cost, I haven't been able to find a price list anywhere yet ( not looking very hard tho :D )

- With an aftermarket pipe / silencer, rad valve & power reeds, would you need 100+ octane gas? or could you run 91-93? It say's on the Boyesen page that you should run higher octane gas with a modded engine.. What exactly is a modded engine?? All the stuff I talked about, or are they talking about engine work ( P&P, shaved head, etc..? )

- Would I be better of spending my money on other mods instead of what I suggested?? Would it be worth my while ( as a begginer, and junior racer ) to buy these parts.. Or are they not needed? I was thinking that maybe parts like sprockets might benifit me more.. Would they??

What mods would you guys say could benefit me more?? I dont know much about all of the lesser mods ( not so obvious, and not much talked about ), so take the time and explain to me what is good and what is not..

Thanks A LOT

( Oh, how much of a difference would a pipe and silencer make to the power and powerband of my bike? is it going to throw me off if I try to ride the way I do now? Will it take a while to get used to, or a couple rides?? I have some big races coming up, and I dont want to be adjusting to my bike the week before, because i wont be at full potential.. Thanks for the help)

And finally, many people tell me that I should spend the money on more racing, and riding schools.. But the thing is that im already doing that, so I dont need advice on what to do :) I just want the anwsers to my questions..

Last edited:

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
Dude you're not gonna get much repsonses for this, sorry. Just get better or something and don't worry about your pipe. If you don't even know what kind of power you like, well you don't need to modify the bike!

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The RM is a great bike std and will work very well until you progress a fair bit more-i would leave it as it is and spend your money on tires and maintaince.We had a rider in the british championships riding a bog stock RM and he was in the top 10.

Top Bottom