Pipe Cleaning????

KX Insane CY

Jul 6, 2002
I have a pro circuit works pipe for my kx 250 and it seams to have alot of carbon buildup in the head of the pipe is there any way to clean the carbon out of the pipe. Does anyone know of a product that will work for this. The previous owner of the bike must have been 90 years old to have the kind of buildup the pipe has in it. Any help on this would be apreciated thanks. :think:

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
I read somewhere, like DirtRider mag, that to clean the carbon build up in your pipe. Put it in a vise and torch the area of the pipe where the build up is until it is red hot, then let it cool and dump the carbon out which flaked off. You might have to tap it with a hammer or something to get the flakes to fall off, maybe spray it with the hose?

bad ant

Jul 15, 2002
my 93 KX250 has a leaking right side crankshaft seal and has also been running too rich. When I took the pipe off to pop out a dent in it we noticed that a thick layer of wet black buildup was in the expansion chamber and was burning off with the heat of the gas welder. Thinking we were on to a good thing we systematically managed to burn off quite a lot of it. :)

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
oven cleaner works decent as well as the suggestions mentioned above.

KX Insane CY

Jul 6, 2002
Thank you all for the ideas I will first try the oven cleaner and then blast it with a hot water pressure washer. If that dont do it I will grab the fire wrench thanks again.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
It will smoke like heck & make you sick if you do it indoors. The neighbours will call 911 outdoors.
If it is real bad there may be some places like radiator repairers or engine reconditioners who could dip it in cleaner. If it wasn’t so bad you might do it with a torch at night.

But I didn’t tell you that.

Mike198

Jul 8, 2002
Try using kerosine (im not sure if i spelled that right) but it works good on the molds that i make at work

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Yeah I’ve tried that & the hard carbon doesn’t seem to get infiltrated by it.

Watch out for putting combustibles inside the pipe if you re then intending to hit it with flame as you can imagine the explosive consequences given the right air fuel mixture. If you can’t then think harder. :ugg:

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I have used a small sand blaster with walnut shells succesfully I also used carberator cleaner and a small handfull of walnut shells capped the ends and then clamped the pipe in a paint shaker. But unfortunately I dont think these things are usually available to the average joe. If anyone reading this posts has those means try it you just might like it!!!!!

KX Insane CY

Jul 6, 2002
I got it cleaned out last night with the fire wrench I had no oven cleaner it sure did smoke but not to worry about the neighbors their burn barrel puts off more smoke than a coal power plant!! Not to many neigbors where I live Im in the woods they dont even complain about the sound feels good to run around in a truck with a 440 mopar and open headers and not get a ticket hehe. Thanks for all the replies. :cool:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…