oabike

May 15, 2001
Has anyone tried an aftermarket pipe on the bike. I'm most interested in the Pro Circuit or Big Gun since I can get it thru my dealer and get a good price on it. I don't want it to sound like my 250 cause the bike will be street legal (lights and stator were shipped yesterday) and I will be poaching a BMX track or 2. Is the BBR pipe too noisy? I've done the flywheel,air box, jetting,14t cog, and springs. How about the 150 kits or bigger carb?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
None of the TTR pipes designed for closed course racing are quiet enough to be street legal. If you are going to run it on the street the stock pipe is a wise choice.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
The question is... How street legal do you really want it to be? I got a plate for my little TTR125L just to get from the trail to the truck or to ride it into a little mountain town every now and then to get gas. The BBR pipe I have on it hasn't attracted any attention. It may be different in CA, but nobody looks twice at it in CO.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by NVR FNSH
I've seen/heard an Engines Only 150cc/pipe engine pass the 98 dBA limit - I think it was at 94dBA.

Care to take a guess on what that does to the power? :)

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
The BBR pipe is not outrageously loud. We also have a spark arrestor for it.

The 150 kit will really wake up the bike . . . it gains not only bottom end but power over the whole range. The 26mm carb and free flow air filter also un-cork the choked down stock motor. There is also a camshaft that boosts power and actually improves ease of starting. Email me at sales@bbrmotorsports.com for more info so I don’t break any SPAM rules here.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich

Care to take a guess on what that does to the power? :)

Granted, quiet usually equals less power. I thought I'd offer up an example I've seen/heard - wouldn't want to be spreading bad information.

I must say I was impressed with your first reply regarding closed course pipes. I'm guessing that the EO pipe would offer an improvement over the stock pipe and I KNOW when combined with the 150cc kit the result is acceptable in the Mendocino NF. Street legal is 88dBA, correct?

FC22 - has the BBR pipe been subjected to the MIC test that is being implemented in the National Forests? What's it blow?

Brian

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Street legal is 88dBA, correct?
Sheesh! How would you know the bike was running?!

I've seen/heard Harleys that were nowhere near that quiet. Heck, even my uncorked XR400 is quieter than most hogs!

Up here they'd pull you over for doing wheelies down the street before they'd ding you for noise. But this is Idaho.:confused:

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
XRP,
If you look at the STOCK silencer can on a streetbike there is the paragraph about tampering/emissions etc. I thought it mentioned something about 88dBA - I may be wrong. I used to own a bone stock '88 Suzuki Katana 1100 (dual exhausts) - thing sounded like a sewing machine and would still put your eyeballs in the back of your head.

Brian

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I'm guessing that the EO pipe would offer an improvement over the stock pipe

I admire Frank Nye for taking the lead and building a quiet pipe, but I wouldn't count on it being an improvement over stock in all cases.

Top Bottom