pipe guard?

Bubbie3737

Feb 28, 2004
alright, i'm new to the newer bikes and kdx's. i've been riding for a few years though. I see some of you have like guards on your combustion chambers so they don't get damaged as easily. Do you buy these or make them? I am interested in doing this so i don't trash the fmf pipe that is on the bike i'm getting.

PunkBiker

Jan 16, 2004
I've got a Moose pipe guard I bought from an eBay auction for $25 to protect my $146 FMF Gnarly I got on eBay. It was fairly easy to shape it to the pipe. I am going out tomorrow to put it to the test.

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
There's instructions for a homemade guard on www.dirtrider.net/justkdx. Others here use the Moose, www.mooseracing.com, aluminum pipe guard ($40) which can be bent to match your pipe. There are others that have a similar design. FRP, www.frpoffroad.com, has fiberglass guards ($59.95) for the FMF Gnarly -30 desert and -35 woods pipes and Eline, www.elineaccessories.com, has similar CF guards ($104) for the -30 and the -35. I went with the Eline guard because it's light, covers a good portion of the pipe, and is strong. I've heard good things about the others too.

Best,
Greg

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
Bubbie:

You can have my new Moose pipe guard for $25. Thing is super strong - looks pretty good too.

sn

est142

Dec 30, 2003
i just installed a maier pipe guard from rocky mountain atv that was less than 30 bucks. my bike and pc pipe were used, and the guard covered up a couple of small dents that were already in the pipe. easy and cheap install. maiers come in black, silver or gold . you just bend and shape the tabs to follow the contour of your pipe,than hose clamp it to the pipe.

Bubbie3737

Feb 28, 2004
thanks for all the responses guys. How much do these protect the pipe? like if i dump it is it just gonna dent the guard and the pipe or what?

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Possilbly, but think how your pipe would have been if the guard wasnt on it. I made the fibreglass one on the justkdx site and its held up to 3 nasty whacks on rocks. A bit of sanding and a new coat of black engine enamel and it was as good as the day I made it.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Just installed my Moose Pipe Armor

I used a torch and a rubber mallet and a bottle jack :eek: to shape it to the pipe!

Attachments

• Pipe Armor.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,122

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Another tip- paint it with BBQ black paint. It becomes almost invisible and you can still kinda look like one of them thar cool mx dudes. At least from a distance. :p

Bubbie3737

Feb 28, 2004
sweet, thanks for all the tips and opinions guys. I think i'll pick one up when i get the bike, it's looking like it'll be pretty soon now.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…