Danny Stein

Nov 12, 2002
Okay guys and gals I got my FMF Gnarly & Turbine Core 2 S/A last night from UPS at 9pm. I'm going to put it on some time this week and was wondering if anybody has some tips they would like to share? I was wondering a couple of things can you re-use the pipe spring? and is there a gasket or something between the stock chamber and stock spark arrester that I need to reuse? I know I read a long time ago to just bolt up loosely to get a good fit then tighten down. I'm just trying to save some headaches while in the garage.

fivefour

Jan 31, 2003
There is a copper gasket that stays on the head and you reuse the o-rings and rubber coupler that goes between the pipe and silencer.

K220

Jul 7, 2003
Just performed the pipe replacement on my 220 a couple of weeks ago. You can re-use the existing hardware (springs, 2-o-rings, head to pipe gasket and rubber coupler that adjoins pipe to silencer "providing" all are in good condition. I opted to replace the pipe o-rings and head flange gasket due to the small expense involved. I also choose to purchase some high-temp silicone sealer (non-hardening) and placed a small amount at the connections to ensure zero leakage. (Also stops the dripping spooge at the pipe to silencer connection onto the rear swingarm) Just take your time, mock it up complete prior to tightening all connections to ensure proper clearance and fit..

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
Same boat for many of us. My new pipe is sitting on the foyer floor. Ordered a jet set to get myself dialed in right.

BTW Danny - I just moved to STL from Crofton - small world.

Cheers,

Sean

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
Originally posted by KawaRider
Just performed the pipe replacement on my 220 a couple of weeks ago. You can re-use the existing hardware (springs, 2-o-rings, head to pipe gasket and rubber coupler that adjoins pipe to silencer "providing" all are in good condition. I opted to replace the pipe o-rings and head flange gasket due to the small expense involved. I also choose to purchase some high-temp silicone sealer (non-hardening) and placed a small amount at the connections to ensure zero leakage. (Also stops the dripping spooge at the pipe to silencer connection onto the rear swingarm) Just take your time, mock it up complete prior to tightening all connections to ensure proper clearance and fit..

I prefer the drooling spooge at the stinger to silencer connection. My way of thinking is that as long as the spooge drips at this joint it's not fouling up the silencer packing. ???

marksharp

~SPONSOR~
Sep 29, 2002
Hey moridin
welcome to STL- I suppose you know about the riding at St. Joe park. Just look for all of the green bikes bunched up around a 26' black trailer, that would be us- the local team green... and beware of all of the crazed sand racers. I saw an ambulance out in the sand three times last year. You can't fix stupid!

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
Mark:

i actually grew up here - moved away a decade ago. I was stunned at how many old riding places were gone. I used to go out to Old Mines alot - not sure of the name of the place - it was the $2 riding place (all I remember). Used to run Sugar Bowl too - gone too.

I was actually at St. Joe on saturday - not too many 73 degree days in January. Of course it is 12 outside now.

Email me at nollsp@excite.com - maybe we can link up when it warms up.

I and a bunch of guys run most of the AMA Dual Sport series (dont laugh, some of the rides are no joke) - the more the merrier. We will hit all the AR, TN, KS, MO rides this year. Also have a group of 12+ going to Moab in April.

Sean

Top Bottom